What's new

Synthetic Brush Help For Newbie

I have just started shaving with DE Razors and looking to move up from my can of Barbasol and as such need a brush. I decided to go with synthetic since I read you can just wet it under the faucet or a few seconds and its good to go instead of having to soak it like with other brushes? My budget is around $20. Ive got a few options ive been debating about.

1. PAA - Possibly the Amber Aerolite since I do enjoy how the handle looks. I am confused though since it says hybrid syth. What does this mean? Can I still run it under the faucet for a few seconds and have it be good to go or do I have to soak it? Or is the hybrid thing something else entirely? Will cost the most at around $25 with shipping.

2. Yaqi - Will buy at WestCoastShaving. I would ideally like one of the cheaper ones but since they are all out of stock except for the ones $15+ I may have to go with one of those. Will cost around $20 with shipping assuming I go for the more expensive ones or less if im patient and wait for them to go back in stock.

3. Razorock - Pretty cheap and in stock. Bonus points to being able to get a stand for it for like $2 since its on sale. Ive read this isnt really necessary as I can just set it bristle side up on the counter and wasnt really going to get one but at $2? Sure why not! Around $15-20 with shipping depending on the brush I get with the stand.

4. Stirling - Honestly no clue how the brushes are here but Ive often heard this site recommitted for starter kits so im assuming the brushes are good.

5. Maggard - Same reason as Stirling

Kinda leaning towards the PAA for the handle designs or the Razorock for the cheap stand but do kind of worry about the performance of them. I am open to other brush suggestions but assuming I go with any of the options other than PAA which brush model should should I go for? I literally have no real clue what the difference between brushes are outside of the obvious handle and 24mm vs 26mm size differences.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Those all seem like good choices and I know little about synthetic brushes owning only one. I understand that you are correct in that you are advised to soak a boar brush prior to use. You can soak a badger brush before use, and many do, but you do not have to. I have tried soaking my badger brushes and not soaking them and found no difference at all. Now I merely submerge the knot in cold water, squeeze the knot so it is barely damp then load from the puck. The entire process takes two seconds. Opinions will vary of course. All that said, with your budget I would buy a synthetic. Welcome to the forum 👍

I just went through this myself. My thread was something like “synthetic brush to buy if I’ve never used a brush” if you want to loook through it, but the to;dr version is pretty much:

1. Get something cheap. PAA, Yaqi, and Razorock are all quality choices, and you’ll get to know what you like as far as handle, knot size, and knot shape without spending too much finding out.

2. 24mm is a good, middle-of-the-road size to start with.

This was good advice. So basically, you can’t go wrong with anything you listed. Get something in 24mm that you like the look of.

PAA “hybrid” is the shape - it just means that it’s neither a fan nor a bulb, it’s in between. No need to treat it any different from the others.

Me, I got a PAA Starcraft. It was just a month ago and I like it, and am not likely to replace it any time soon. If/when I do, I’ll probably get something smaller, and a fan if I can find one. But it’s a great starting point, I like the look, it works great, and only set me back $20.

Let us know what you get!

All the above are good choices, Omega also makes some affordable Synths that are not so in the limelight as Yaqi and PAA:

S10081 23mm
S10065 25mm

I’ve been using a PAA Amber Aerolite since they came out, excellent brush. Easy to make lather, quick drying and is very efficient loading soap in the event you are bowl lathering.

All synthetics perform good. It's just down to your preferences how much backbone you want, how tall(lower lofts will have much more backbone) you want the knot and how much scrub(friction) you want. I hear the razorock 400 plissoft noir is kind of scrubby. Turn N' shave chess brush can be had cheaply. If you want softer maybe consider a frank shaving g4 synthetic they are very cheap on amazon. I remember getting a frank shaving g5 for like $7 shipped(prime)little over half year ago, it turned out to be a very nice brush.

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have just started shaving with DE Razors and looking to move up from my can of Barbasol and as such need a brush. I decided to go with synthetic since I read you can just wet it under the faucet or a few seconds and its good to go instead of having to soak it like with other brushes? My budget is around $20. Ive got a few options ive been debating about.

1. PAA - Possibly the Amber Aerolite since I do enjoy how the handle looks. I am confused though since it says hybrid syth. What does this mean? Can I still run it under the faucet for a few seconds and have it be good to go or do I have to soak it? Or is the hybrid thing something else entirely? Will cost the most at around $25 with shipping.

2. Yaqi - Will buy at WestCoastShaving. I would ideally like one of the cheaper ones but since they are all out of stock except for the ones $15+ I may have to go with one of those. Will cost around $20 with shipping assuming I go for the more expensive ones or less if im patient and wait for them to go back in stock.

3. Razorock - Pretty cheap and in stock. Bonus points to being able to get a stand for it for like $2 since its on sale. Ive read this isnt really necessary as I can just set it bristle side up on the counter and wasnt really going to get one but at $2? Sure why not! Around $15-20 with shipping depending on the brush I get with the stand.

4. Stirling - Honestly no clue how the brushes are here but Ive often heard this site recommitted for starter kits so im assuming the brushes are good.

5. Maggard - Same reason as Stirling

Kinda leaning towards the PAA for the handle designs or the Razorock for the cheap stand but do kind of worry about the performance of them. I am open to other brush suggestions but assuming I go with any of the options other than PAA which brush model should should I go for? I literally have no real clue what the difference between brushes are outside of the obvious handle and 24mm vs 26mm size differences.
All of these brushes are wonderful performing synthetic brushes that you should be able to get for less than $30.

RazoRock Hive 24 Mokasoft HD Synthetic
20220126_102221~2.jpg

PAA Peregrino 24mm Roswell Hybrid Synthetic
20220127_182007~2.jpg

Turn-N-Shave Chess (25mm BOSS)
20220118_073046~2.jpg

AP Shave Co Elegant Emerald (24mm Synbad)
20211202_202248~2.jpg

Yeah not gonna get a stand ill just sit it on the counter. And it is quite the looker! While I could prob get something a tad bit cheaper and thats just as good I figure I may as well go for the nice looking one since im gonna be using it for as long as possible(mostly getting into this for the money savings in the long run).

You made a great choice. I have 4 PAA synthetic brushes (Peregrino, Atomic Rocket, Solar Flare, and Phantom Aerolite) and they’re all fun and easy to use.

Beings I’m vegetarian all my brushes are just that. So I’ve had quite a few animal friendly brushes.
I've had
omega-good but seems quite open.
Haryali- again good, and great for the price
I did try one made from plant fibre. Didn’t get on with it at all.
I just bought a Yaqi 26. Hmog! It is in a different league. Gorgeous brush. Dense head, soft as anything and it looks pretty too.
16D00847-2840-45D0-8F96-B3E6B937A7F6.jpeg

Top Bottom