What's new

Synthetic brush cleaning

I have been searching for a "how to" on cleaning a synthetic brush. I have a Yaqi brush coming in and I would like to clean it before using it. I have seen and read about badgers and horse and all kinds of natural hair brushes but nothing on synthetic.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Everything I've read about synthetic brushes, is that you don't have to soak them like you do real hair brushes. And since they are synthetic, they don't have the smell of real hair brushes either. So, ya, I just say lather with it and enjoy. I just received my first synthetic brush today, can't wait to use it tomorrow. :)

Everything I've read about synthetic brushes, is that you don't have to soak them like you do real hair brushes. And since they are synthetic, they don't have the smell of real hair brushes either. So, ya, I just say lather with it and enjoy. I just received my first synthetic brush today, can't wait to use it tomorrow. :)
You want to wash it first use regardless. It's got no smell like animal brushes but it still came from a factory where it went through God knows what in the process of manufacturing. For hygienic purposes I do what's been said above: Wash it through soap, dry it and done!

Synthetic brushes require very little maintenance. I soak mine when using them, mainly so the bristles take on some heat from the water, and afterwards I clean the brush in running water. I shake the brush out thoroughly and gently run my finger over the bristles to get the last bit of water out and then it goes on the shelf.

Badger brushes can grow mould very quickly if you are not careful and then have to be thoroughly cleaned.

So I did soak the brush in a large cup of hot water and a drop of dish detergent for an hour. Every 15mins I would shake the brush in the mixture and replaced the mixture with a fresh mixture. Cleaned the brush out with fresh hot water and shook it in the shower to get as much of the water out, put it in the closet knot up.

So I did soak the brush in a large cup of hot water and a drop of dish detergent for an hour. Every 15mins I would shake the brush in the mixture and replaced the mixture with a fresh mixture. Cleaned the brush out with fresh hot water and shook it in the shower to get as much of the water out, put it in the closet knot up.
Perfect! It will be ready tomorrow. Now comes the fun part, using it!

Perfect! It will be ready tomorrow. Now comes the fun part, using it!

I did this a week ago, late update sorry. I have used it a couple of times already and I am enjoying the softer feeling bristles. My shaves have gotten little boost to the enjoyment level.

20220517_121910.jpg

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand

I never thought I would say this, but the brush knot is mesmerizing, my eyes just blurr to it. Thats cashmere, and oh yes, its gonna be soft alright! And what a nice aqua marine Turquoise handle! I bet you get a solid grip with that.

Hey look, you got Stirling Deep Seap Blue aftershave, what does that smell like, and how you like it? I just got my first Stirling aftershave, I got the Glacial Spearmint aftershave, and the scent is divine, and the menthol gives my skin a nice cool feeling.

I never thought I would say this, but the brush knot is mesmerizing, my eyes just blurr to it. Thats cashmere, and oh yes, its gonna be soft alright! And what a nice aqua marine Turquoise handle! I bet you get a solid grip with that.

Hey look, you got Stirling Deep Seap Blue aftershave, what does that smell like, and how you like it? I just got my first Stirling aftershave, I got the Glacial Spearmint aftershave, and the scent is divine, and the menthol gives my skin a nice cool feeling.

The knot is eye catching, I feel it's nearly perfect how it looks. I am shooting for an ocean style set up for my gear. I can't describe scents, I do not know know what all the scent descriptions are. I know a citrus scent or vanilla, can't stand patchouli or anything foresty but that about tells you all the notes I know when I smell them. Deep Blue Sea is one of if not my favorite scents, it's not too sweet nor too musky. Sorry...

I have been searching for a "how to" on cleaning a synthetic brush. I have a Yaqi brush coming in and I would like to clean it before using it. I have seen and read about badgers and horse and all kinds of natural hair brushes but nothing on synthetic.
Just whip up a batch of test lather and rinse the brush. Have a Razorock plissoft synthetic that has been in use for 4-5 shaves a week for over two and a half years and other than thorough post-shave rinsing has never required a cleaning. I typically rinse until the rinse water is clear of all soap.

Top Bottom