What's new

Synth Brush Preference: Different or Imitation?

Just went Synthetic last month. Got myself a Yaqi Sagrada Familia and I can easily say I'll never buy another natural hair brush again, for many reasons. Synthetics may have been a joke but they've come along way. There are many, many legitimate options available now. I got this one for $15 delivered. This type of performance was unheard of at that price point in years past. I love this thing and it's sexy as heck. Makes for a great display piece if you're into that type of thing.

We truly are in a golden age of Traditional Wet Shaving equipment. If we had these options available 10 years ago when I first got into it I'd be divorced by now.

1.JPG

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
If any of you have any experiences with any yaqi brushes I'd love to hear them. I know they're all pretty great and unbeatable price wise but I'd like to know what you look for.

I think we are spoiled in this golden era of traditional wet shaving when it comes to brushes. I personally like synthetic , badger & boar. My first shave brush was a Omega boar and it did well and I did not have a clue how to look after it many years ago.
A good boar brush broke in with a 2 min soak is almost as good as any thing out there and some folks like back bone for scrubbing. If you enjoy to have scrub with comfort and a excellent painter a two band badger is the way to go IMO or a nice boar brush will give you all that to. For all around comfort and scrub synthetics can offer a lot in that category.
I'm a bit of a Yaqi fanboy and have a lot more bushes but this should give you a idea possibly, if your not sure what you might like I kind of separated them a little in two groups.
I find it strange sometimes that we will spend good money on 2 or 3 minutes of luxury face massaging per shave session. WHY, :001_wub: of that brush feel possibly! Most people hand lather with canned foam or gel now a days and will never know this face sensation!
(L) This group has a little more back bone possibly with cloud like soft feel.....(R) these ones have more heavenly cloud like soft feel or luxury feel IMO and will gently scrub and great lather painters. Most newer Generation Synthetics are great lather painters.
Yaqi cluster of brushes!.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Just went Synthetic last month. Got myself a Yaqi Sagrada Familia and I can easily say I'll never buy another natural hair brush again, for many reasons. Synthetics may have been a joke but they've come along way. There are many, many legitimate options available now. I got this one for $15 delivered. This type of performance was unheard of at that price point in years past. I love this thing and it's sexy as heck. Makes for a great display piece if you're into that type of thing.

We truly are in a golden age of Traditional Wet Shaving equipment. If we had these options available 10 years ago when I first got into it I'd be divorced by now.

View attachment 1329397
You’ll love this little Yaqi Sagrada Familia is feels like a Simpson Chubby 1 when you face lather.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have a single synthetic brush, an early butterscotch Simpson Chubby 2 synthetic badger (not synthetic bristle) which is lofted at 54mm and so is able to splay easily compared to the lower lofted current version. It is a superb brush, better for me than some but not all of my badger brushes. The biggest plus for me for the synthetic is the fact it can make a huge amount of lather from very little soap indeed. I have several soaps that for me would be difficult or expensive to replace so I use the synthetic with those soaps so as to make them last longer and for that reason alone I will always keep my Chubby 2 synthetic badger.

Synths are essentially an artificial silvertip badger shaving brush, though not as close as you think. Way softer than boar brushes.
Not all of them. I have one that is softer than a broom but no where near as soft as a new, unbroken in boar. It does sit in the closet except for once or twice a year when I get brave.

Top Bottom