What's new

Synth Brush Preference: Different or Imitation?

Hey everyone, I'm planning on getting a synthetic brush soon (just waiting for the shop to re-stock a few other things too) and I was wondering what you guys thought made a Synth better than a natural. Is it the cost-effective way they immitate badgers? or is it because they have properties that natural brushes cannot ever have? I'm personally looking into yaqi brushes and some of them are apparently more synthetic (i.e. very plush and floppy and have less water and heat retention etc.) or very similar to badger (at least in appearance and backbone). I'm speaking specifically of the Beaux G4 synth (more badgerlike I think) and the Polar HD synth (more synth than badgerlike). If any of you have any experiences with any yaqi brushes I'd love to hear them. I know they're all pretty great and unbeatable price wise but I'd like to know what you look for.

Thanks in advance Gents!

If you are looking for a synthetic to perform exactly the same as badger you will never find it.

I love badger, especially silvertips. That said, my most recent synthetics (Maggards black & white) in some ways perform better than badger. They whip up the lather easier. Although a different face feel, it is still as nice of a face feel. They splay nicely, and distribute the father on my face smoothly.

It's different, but still nice in its own way.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I would try a 24 mm synthetic tuxedo knot(my standard synthetic knot), from the tuxedo knot the other synthetic knots are very similar but usually softer and a gentler feel.
Knot diameters can change splay and feel also. My favorite in the larger 26 mm knots are the Yaqi 26 mm evil zebra and the Yaqi 26mm Rainbow brown whiskers(Luxury feeling). The 24mm knots are ideal in feel and are not lather hogs and will generate nice lather from any type of hard or soft croaps & creams I have found.
On the natural hair side, A good broke in boar brush can also be nice for change ups also. 2 band badgers (Finest badger) are a nice knot in the 24mm size also and will give a different face feel and are very good to make lather and have a nice face feel.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I quite like synthetics as the dry really quickly and the ones that I have tried are very soft on the face IMHO. If you want to try a fairly cheap Synthetic Brush duck down to your local Woolworths and grab yourself a Jack The Barber Synthetic Brush. They quite often have them on special for half price.

Synthetics don't absorb water or hold heat in the same way as natural hair. They are really their own category of brushes with some advantages and disadvantages.

Since synthetics don't absorb a lot of water, it's better to load the brush nearly dry, and add water gradually to build your lather. Otherwise, you will find out why people complain their brush flings lather or drips water everywhere.

The Phoenix (PAA) brushes with Roswell Grey knots are the best symths I have tried so far. The Starcraft, Peregrino and Phantom Aerolite are current models. I would look beyond Yaqi.

I appreciate synthetic brushes that are different from badger - they make use of the different characteristics of other available materials. So far I like the Blackland brushes best. They are delightfully soft but with firm backbone and the aluminium handles are great quality and very grippy. They work as well for me as any badger brush but offer a very different feel.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I was wondering what you guys thought made a Synth better than a natural.

They dry faster.

I have half a dozen synthetic brushes in my collection and that's the only thing they do better for me.

I travel with an EVO and that brush has better backbone than most, and less tendency to throw lather around the bathroom. But I'm sure that if you use the same brush often you can develop a technique that mitigates that tendency.

I feel a good synthetic brush, such as the RazoRock Bruce, out performs all other knots. I've tried high quality badger brushes and my synthetics just blow them away in performance. To me synthetics are the way to go. Here is my favorite:

Cella-Merkur.JPG

I feel a good synthetic brush, such as the RazoRock Bruce, out performs all other knots. I've tried high quality badger brushes and my synthetics just blow them away in performance. To me synthetics are the way to go. Here is my favorite:
That is the Big Bruce (26mm) isn't it? There is also a 24mm Bruce which I just used this morning. I don't use synths every day, but sometimes. Works well with MWF.

That is the Big Bruce (26mm) isn't it? There is also a 24mm Bruce which I just used this morning. I don't use synths every day, but sometimes. Works well with MWF.

Yes the Big Bruce has a 26mm knot and they do make a 24mm as well. I think they can't be beat. I guess a lot depends on what you like. My first brush was a cheap drugstore badger and I used it for years. But that was before I found B&B. Now I have learnt how to really spend my money.

I tried a synthetic brush back a few years ago and hated it....really floppy and too soft. Well I decide try them again and found a few so far that I really like.....Stirling 24mm, Simpson Trafalgar T2, and PAA Amber Aerolite. I like backbone and these brushes have just enough to satisfy. I also have a Zenith S10 inbound. I have a few others, but don't like them as much....PAA Perigrino, WCS 24mm, and Stirling Kong as they don't have enough backbone for my tastes....more floppy and soft.

For me, synthetics make lather faster (generally speaking) they are super soft, there is no break in, there is no smell, and there is no maintenance. Of course they are also magnitudes less expensive, and there is an excellent variety to choose form.

I prefer to let them stand on their own. They are different characters just as the animal versions. And I like animal and synthetic brushes depends on mood and usage. I will take synths on holiday tours due to the quick drying though I am tempting to bring my horse since it comes so close to the synthetics but is a better face lather monster

They should not be compared to badgers. They're their own thing

They're very soft, more efficient (with both time and soap use), can take a lot of abuse, don't have to be broken in much, don't have to be soaked, dry faster, are inexpensive, cruelty free. I prefer them to naturals for these reasons among others. Yaqi are good. Also consider PAA and the AP shave Co G5A. Just incredible

Personally I haven't encountered any disadvantages compared with a natural brush affordable easy in maintenance and creates lather more easily all advantages to me check out AP shave they do some excellent synthetics with beautiful customised handles 👌

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I like 'em all. Badger, Boar and Synthetic. They all work fine and they are all different. Enjoy the differences.

I get on a Badger kick, then a Boar kick and then a Synthetic kick. They all work great for me.

I primarily bowl lather, if that makes a difference. ;)

There are a number of great and inexpensive Synthetic brushes out there. Just gor the RazoRock Hive 24 Mokasoft HD Synthetic, tried it today and am impressed.
image.jpg

Costs $20 at Italian Barber. :)

Top Bottom