What's new

SynBad vs SilkSmoke

I have tried both. 2 different animals. The synbad is very very very soft. Too soft for me. Almost like I can't believe this is even a shaving brush. The Silksmoke had a better feel and I used it for a while. It didn't splay very well but otherwise was good. For synthetics I settled on Shavemac and Muhle which I feel are nicer but also more expensive.

I am mostly a badger guy though.

Haven’t tried the silk smoke. But I have a 26mm synbad and the hairs are very thin. I wouldn’t go 28 mm on any other brush but if we’re to redo it, I’d get a 28mm synbad. Like mentioned above, is the softest of the synthetics I’ve tried (Timberwolf, PAA atomic rocket).

I received today a new dubl duck shaving brush handle in 26mm. Those are the two knots that I'm considering also, but leaning towards the silk smoke as its available in a fan, which I prefer.

If you get a SynBad, my recommendation would be to set it deeeep. I have a 30mm*** SynBad that is set at ~52mm loft. I'd love to shave at least 5mm loft off that, but the handle can't accommodate a deeper bore. It's too floppy for my liking, but it sure works nice in the shower as a face washing instrument with my favorite CeraVe cleansers.

***sounds big, but these synths don't bloom so it actually looks (and in use, handles as) significantly smaller than a new 26mm 2-band badger that I have.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I have tried both. 2 different animals. The synbad is very very very soft. Too soft for me. Almost like I can't believe this is even a shaving brush. The Silksmoke had a better feel and I used it for a while. It didn't splay very well but otherwise was good. For synthetics I settled on Shavemac and Muhle which I feel are nicer but also more expensive.

I am mostly a badger guy though.
Muhle and Shavemac synthetics are my two items on the shortlist.

@pwill112 I would love to hear your comparison of these two if you have the time.

Muhle and Shavemac synthetics are my two items on the shortlist.

@pwill112 I would love to hear your comparison of these two if you have the time.

I still really use my Declaration Grooming badgers the most.
The Muhle synthetic is softer than the shavemac. I have the 25 mm. The handle is just a little too short for me. The brush is just a little too soft but not much. I have the 26 mm shavemac. It's a much harder and denser brush. The 26 mm is a little too big because of the density. I learned that this size shavemac requires more loading time and soap because it is so dense. My badgers are also 26 mm but don't require so much loading time.

So the muhle and shavemac have pros and cons for me. I "like" both and alternate them at will. Still looking for the perfect synthetic. I heard there is an Edwin Jaggar similar to the muhle but not as soft? I haven't researched it yet.

Last edited:

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I still really use my Declaration Grooming badgers the most.
The Muhle synthetic is softer than the shavemac. I have the 25 mm. The handle is just a little too short for me. The brush is just a little too soft but not much. I have the 26 mm shavemac. It's a much harder and denser brush. The 26 mm is a little too big because of the density. I learned that this size shavemac requires more loading time and soap because it is so dense. My badgers are also 26 mm but don't require so much loading time.

So the muhle and shavemac have pros and cons for me. I "like" both and alternate them at will. Still looking for the perfect synthetic. I heard there is an Edwin Jaggar similar to the muhle but not as soft? I haven't researched it yet.
Thank you for your detailed input!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Those are the two knots that I'm considering also, but leaning towards the silk smoke as its available in a fan, which I prefer.
I have all bulbs. Actually one of the reasons I was looking at this was that I figured I try a fan. APLuxury has a fan.

I have both. The Synbad works quite well and is very soft. It also has very little backbone. Maybe it would be better with a lower loft.

The Silksmoke I have is almost unusable. It came from the batch that had stiffer fibers. It is so stiff it is difficult to splay, and swirling motions often result in the knot moving as a whole without any splay.

I have both. The Synbad works quite well and is very soft. It also has very little backbone. Maybe it would be better with a lower loft.

The Silksmoke I have is almost unusable. It came from the batch that had stiffer fibers. It is so stiff it is difficult to splay, and swirling motions often result in the knot moving as a whole without any splay.
I have a tuxedo that acts like your silksmoke, but I'm pretty sure that it's because I set the knot too deep. I ordered the 26mm fan silksmoke and a 24mm 2Bed for a couple of handles that I have.

I just received my silksmoke and synbad knots earlier today. First impressions of the silksmoke were good, so I epoxied it into a nice gray WCS handle. After a short wait, I had a shave with this brush. I set it as deep into the socket of the brush handle as it would go. I found the brush would splay but not as willingly as my 22mm yaqi tuxedo. No worries though as the brush does splay and I really like the extra backbone and scrub I got with this knot today. Whipped up a lovely lather from a puck of SV Cosmo.

The synbad at first impressions is too soft, reminding me of plissoft. I did note that the brush is packed much more dense than a plissoft. I don’t like the color combo of the other handle I have available so it will remain on the sidelines until I get a chance to try my hand at turning some handles soon. I plan to set it into a handle a little deeper than most and I think I will get some good backbone from the knot. I hope to get decent splay and find that I can enjoy something so soft, but that will remain to be seen.

I too have a silksmoke that will try as soon as I can get the glue bump out of another handle to set it in. I agree that the Synbad is very soft, I prefer the 2BED over it.

552514B7-C727-424A-9213-F8713E9E597C.jpeg
My new silksmoke. You can tell it is set a little deeper by how constricted the knot appears. 24mm but feels more like a 22mm.

If you get a SynBad, my recommendation would be to set it deeeep. I have a 30mm*** SynBad that is set at ~52mm loft. I'd love to shave at least 5mm loft off that, but the handle can't accommodate a deeper bore. It's too floppy for my liking, but it sure works nice in the shower as a face washing instrument with my favorite CeraVe cleansers.

***sounds big, but these synths don't bloom so it actually looks (and in use, handles as) significantly smaller than a new 26mm 2-band badger that I have.
You would really set a synbad that low? I was thinking of getting the 28mm and set it to 50mm loft. I want something with backbone but able to splay at the tips

Top Bottom