What's new

Sx Weeks from DE Shaver to BBS Straight Shaver

Greetings Gents,

Having used DE razors for years, I mustered the courage (Yes, with straight razors there is some fear factor, remember?) about six weeks ago to switch from open comb DE Mühle to straight razor.

In preparation, I had soaked up as many useful You Tube videos, Forum posts and written information as I could get my hands on.
The first shave was passable, the second shave was terrible and I looked like I had (and lost) a fight with the neighbor's cat, but thankfully no blood-letting, just superficial cuts that could easily be treated with an alum block.

During the first one-week phase, I acquired the necessary muscle memory for the job. Shaves were passable, but smoothness did not come anywhere near to what I was used to from my open comb DE razor. But after three passes every morning, I left it at that and considered it a success not to have added any nicks and cuts to my face.

During the second one-week phase, I fell back on my DE razor for a fourth, final pass to get a long-lasting BBS shave. Without the DE, I got a smooth shave, but could already feel new stubble growing half-way into the day. The final DE pass allowed me to go with confidence the full 24 hours between shaves.

During the four week long third phase, I replaced the last DE pass with a fourth straight pass (WTG, XTG down, XTG up, ATG) to get that smooth, lasting shave. My chin area proved to be the most difficult and time-consuming to work on.

Yesterday, my Better Half was unable to tell me which side of my face I had shaved only with the straight and on which side I did a final pass with the DE razor.
After six weeks, I consider that a success that has me sold on straight razor shaving, even though I had moments when I wondered whether it was worth all the effort and whether I would ever come close to the smoothness and longevity of my DE shaves.
It appears now that I have.
Mind you, I hadn't planned the transition in three phases; in hindsight it just seemed to have come about this way.

The only bloodletting during the six week period occurred not on my face, but when I didn't pay the necessary attention when wiping the protective oil off the razor and cut myself into my left index finger. Lesson learnt: I try to avoid that mistake in the future as pain is a powerful educator.
Otherwise, I only contracted an early attack of SRAD that is slowly abating as I now have one razor (plus :wink2: ) for every day of the week.

My personal challenge was not only to shave with competence, but to achieve a straight shave that was equal, or better to previous DE shaves. After years of DE shaving, the open comb Mühle had become second nature and gave me comfortable, smooth, long-lasting shaves, and I do admit that to match this with a straight was a tall order.

Now, I have to figure out what to do when I travel by air and only want to take carry-on baggage, but that is the subject of another post....

B.

Last edited:
Wow, that's a pretty fast climb on the learning curve compared to me. It took me a good 120 shaves to get results as good as or better than using a DE.

Nicely done.

At 15 - 20 shaves I felt I knew what I was doing. After the 75th I knew that I was a fool LOL. Now at 125 shaves with the SR I really feel like I have learned a lot and I have but I am no fool and I know that I have many more days ahead that will jump up and be my worst or best shave day. Keep at it, you will only get better and the challenge within you will never die. I wake up every day wanting to hurry to the shave cave. That's so much different than when I woke up knowing I had to shave but did not really want to. In fact after I retired 9 years ago I did not shave at all for a very long time and when I did I used a cartridge. I just simply hated that part of my day. Now it is the best part of any day

Awesome, now pick up some more razors and some rocks and get honing

I thought someone might say that...

Been there - done that. :thumbup1:

Not from scratch; setting the bevel will have to wait for later, but I sharpened three razors starting with a Naniwa SS 5K, then 8K, then 12K, then 12K again but with Nagura slurry, followed by Crox stropping and normal stropping.

Essentially a simple 5K/8K pyramid, followed by 12K without and then with slurry.
The Crox treatment might not have been necessary, but I believe it did make the blade smoother.

Well, all horses for courses I guess and I am sure I will keep searching till I find the honing routine that gives me the desired results.

My first refreshing attempts with nothing but Naniwa 12K were only so-so :thumbdown, but ultimately I did get the BBS shave that I mentioned in my opening post above on a razor that I had taken through the Naniwa SS 5K, 8K, 12K and 12K plus slurry routine.

I admit, maybe that wouldn't have been necessary if I had had more experience with my initial Naniwa SS 12K refreshing attempts, but who knows?
Still a lot to learn and plenty of mistakes to avoid, but I am confident I'll get there.

To live is to learn...

Last edited:
Not from scratch; setting the bevel will have to wait for later, but I sharpened three razors starting with a Naniwa SS 5K, then 8K, then 12K, then 12K again but with Nagura slurry, followed by Crox stropping and normal stropping.

Sounds like you are close. All you need is a 1K stone and you'll be able to pick up a pile of rust on eBay and make it shave.

Top Bottom