What's new

Sword Edge Cheadle Slant

I saw this razor in the UK internet marketplace and thought wow that’s good looking - an SS version of the classic Bakelite Slant.
Of course the bakelites are <20g but this leviathan weighs in at 140g+ and it only costs £15 too.
AE866C88-0BAA-48D6-AE9D-BBEC546734D8.jpeg
3766B5D6-053F-4793-8611-0C1F43CAA29A.jpeg

The name is so funny and meant to suggest Englishness - Sword Edge is obviously inspired by Wilkinson Sword.
There is a Sword Edge website and all their razors are named after towns.
No offence to the people who live there but Cheadle sounds like a very bad name for such a good looking German-inspired design.

Clearly made in Pakistan, the plating on the head is very ropey round the pins and the baseplate is cast crudely but the big SS handle is worth the price on its own.
Also blade alignment is appalling and I had to line up the blade manually to get even exposure on both sides.
71619C0D-C6A1-4E70-AA3E-ABDB4F61A127.jpeg
4E1F5A06-CDFF-4314-B57A-D8E158131895.jpeg

The all metal Windrose slants are much better made (and at a higher price) but I found the shave from them too mild and unremarkable.
The shave from the Cheadle on the other hand is quite powerful and efficient.
It’s a bit rough but it has the extra blade feel and aggression that I really like.
ADEE84EE-60B8-44DB-89B5-D14953301B6A.jpeg
78ADCF20-C858-4AD0-9275-E429F4086229.jpeg

So the Sword Edge Cheadle Slant has a horrible name, terrible QC on the cap and also blade alignment issues.

On the other hand it has formidable heft, a fantastic handle, a great price point, is really good looking and delivers an excellent aggressive slant shave.

If you like aggressive slants then go for it!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Looking at the pictures it seems that the corners of the cap and the base plate are not touching, try turning the cap 180 degrees and see if the fit is better! Interesting none the less, like you mentioned QC is lacking but if the shave is good what the heck.:eek2:

Looking at the pictures it seems that the corners of the cap and the base plate are not touching, try turning the cap 180 degrees and see if the fit is better! Interesting none the less, like you mentioned QC is lacking but if the shave is good what the heck.:eek2:
Nope the corners of the cap don’t touch the baseplate whichever way round the cap is even when the handle is fully tightened so I guess that makes the Cheadle Slant a floating head razor too!

This guy might disagree with that. :)
proxy.php
Oh yes Don Swordedge :)

So those things are still floating around in some other form? I just saw a couple listed on eBay recently.

Heavy Duty DE Slant Bar Safety Razor with Protective Case - Great for Sensitive 745556140977 | eBay

@mjclark didn't you have one earlier?
No the modern slants I’ve had previously(Windrose and an all black one which looked similar to this) have been too mild to be satisfying for me.
I think the PAA Bakelite Slant is excellent though.

This Cheadle is pleasingly aggressive and it’s good to see this design is plentiful in the wild in various incarnations.

Sword Edge make another slant which looks a lot like a Hoffritz as well but I guessed that would be mild.

proxy.php

I got it close to a year ago, after just having tried the PAA Alpha Ecliptic and the Maggard slant. Because of that I was a bit underwhelmed by this, as I wrote in my Dutch review if it weren't for those two having just hit the market I'd be a lot more enthousiastic.

proxy.php

I got it close to a year ago, after just having tried the PAA Alpha Ecliptic and the Maggard slant. Because of that I was a bit underwhelmed by this, as I wrote in my Dutch review if it weren't for those two having just hit the market I'd be a lot more enthousiastic.
Another nice handle there - and you can clearly see the dodgy casting on the baseplate.

I saw this razor in the UK internet marketplace and thought wow that’s good looking - an SS version of the classic Bakelite Slant.
Of course the bakelites are <20g but this leviathan weighs in at 140g+ and it only costs £15 too.
View attachment 907802 View attachment 907803

The name is so funny and meant to suggest Englishness - Sword Edge is obviously inspired by Wilkinson Sword.
No offence to the people who live there but Cheadle sounds like a very bad name for such a good looking German-inspired design.

Clearly made in Pakistan, the plating on the head is very ropey round the pins and the baseplate is cast crudely but the big SS handle is worth the price on its own.
Also blade alignment is appalling and I had to line up the blade manually to get even exposure on both sides.
View attachment 907804 View attachment 907805

The all metal Windrose slants are much better made (and at a higher price) but I found the shave from them too mild and unremarkable.
It’s a bit rough but it has the extra blade feel and aggression that I really like.
View attachment 907806 View attachment 907807

So the Sword Edge Cheadle Slant has a horrible name, terrible QC on the cap and also blade alignment issues.

On the other hand it has formidable heft, a fantastic handle, a great price point, is really good looking and delivers an excellent aggressive slant shave.

What the name of the website? Can't find it

View attachment 907802 View attachment 907803

View attachment 907804 View attachment 907805

View attachment 907806 View attachment 907807

Hello,
Thank you for the review of the Cheadle. Is this the GBS branded razor?
I have recently started using slant razors for head, face shaves. I favor efficient/aggressive razors.
The most recent acquisition has been a PAA Bakelite open comb slant. I loved the shave and efficiency.
Is this razor similar to the PAA? Could you recommend some efficient/aggressive slant razors. I fear I have found another rabbit hole.
If Wardonia only had made a slant razor.

Cheers
John

Top Bottom