What's new

SWMBO says, What do you want for Fathers Day?

Being a relative newbie and having some wet shaving equipment already, SWMBO said "What kind of shaving stuff do you want for Father Day?" Not being one to press my luck, I requested perhaps I would like to try a boar bristle brush (I have a Vulfix 2235 Super Badger) and some soap (I have used Proraso Green :thumbup1:, RazoRock Classic :thumbup1:, and Williams Mug, I know, I know, but not as bad as I thought). For a boar brush I was considering an Omega Pro 48 or 49?; Any preferences? For soap I would like to try the Cella Crema Sapone Extra Extra Purissima; but being sold in a 1 kg block which last up to 2 years, I am reluctant to make such a commitment. Is the Cella in the red bowl the same? Any suggestions on boar brush and soap is appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Joe, go for the 1kg block. Just cut a chunk off, put it in a container, and then preserve the remainder. I used a food saver vacuum sealer to preserve it. This is one great soap.

Cella is good, if you like almond scent. If not, thats a lot of soap. Actually, its a lot of soap period. There aer so many soaps to enjoy, I don't think I could use that much of any kind.

To my knowledge there's no difference between the block and container, good soap though. As for boars, Omegas are good, but I love my Semogue SOC, beautiful brush, wood handle, metal ring. Since I can't stand any of the badgers I've tried, it's my daily use brush.

My advice would be to hit have her hit up italianbarber, wide selection of boars, cella, and you can pick up some razorock soap, particularly one of the la famiglia soaps, which are italian soft soaps like cella, but which I prefer to cella in every way!

If you like a soft brush with some backbone the Semogue 830 is hard to beat, the 1305 is also nice not quite as soft but not by much. They both work great on soaps and creams.

Congratulations on moving beyond the traditional "tie rack" father's day gifts. :001_smile

As you can see, YMMV (your mileage may vary) really ramps up when you get into choosing a particular brush. Both Omega and Semogue make fine boar brushes and IMO, you won't go wrong with a brush from either company. Semogues have received a lot more attention in the past few years due to quality wood or acrylic handles and fine quality knots. Omegas also have great knots, but tend to mostly use injection molded plastic handles with a few exceptions.

Boars are generally so inexpensive, I would recommend reading some reviews and posts about brushes that you are interested in and picking a brush that appeals to you. Although all of the recommended brushes are great, all Omega and Semogue brushes will perform tremendously when broken in (it generally takes a number of weeks to fully break in, with marked improvements from week to week)

I have to take exception with Ackvil's advise about buying the 1 kg block of Cella. Although it's a fine soap that is loved by many, it's not for everyone. Some folks have a reaction to the almond scent or may find soaps that they simply like better. 1 kg of soap is a lot soap to go through if aren't going to use it. Italian barber sells smaller portions (125 mg) similar in size to your RazoRock Classic.

Good Luck - happy father's day!

Thanks to all, I appreciate your advice. I really never considered Semogue boar brushes, thinking that Omega was the go to brand for boar. I need do a bit more research, which is half the fun. Nothing like loading up the cart then hitting the submit button. I'll give her to the link to Italian Barber, they have quite a selection.

Top Bottom