What's new

Switching Hands

This December marks a year that I've been DE shaving. I've made more than a few changes to my shaving technique as you'd expect, mostly based on discovering what direction to shave in based on mapping hair growth direction. I'm still trying to really dial that in. Anyway, although I'm right handed, I've found that if I switch to using my left hand for the slight diagonal stroke that goes from just beneath my chin to the right side of my neck, it's easier to do than with my right. I think it's that I get a better blade angle using my left hand. It felt a little clumsy at first but as long as I move slowly it's actually easier to use my left hand in that direction for my neck. Just curious to know if anyone else switches hands during shaving?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I switch hands several times either because it feels more comfortable or because I get a better view in the mirror. These days I can shave by feel without a mirror but I prefer to see what I am doing. It is essential for me to get a clear view when using a straight or Feather AC and I would not attempt to use either without a mirror. I switch hands regularly when using a DE and shave however feels comfortable on the day, which may be different the next day. I am not aware of any reason to persevere with only using one hand unless it is necessary for personal reasons so I say just carry on doing what feels right.

I'm envious of you gentlemen who are ambidextrous. That is a skill I do not claim.
Well that's the thing - I'm not truly ambidextrous. So I must move slowly but as @Eclipse Red Ring mentions it it can give a better view of the blade on your skin and for me a better blade angle. Fortunately, I have not nicked myself while using my left hand.

I am a southpaw and have essential tremors so it can be quite shaky, when it gets bad I’ll switch to the off hand. Things slow down considerably at that point.

Great minds think alike! Switching hands is definitely on my ’to try’ agenda for 2020!

Every shave.

But then again I shave with a shavette. I learned to switch hands while learning to shave with a straight razor. I use the same technique with my shavette.

When I shaved with DE or SE I did the entire shave with my dominant hand.

Great minds think alike! Switching hands is definitely on my ’to try’ agenda for 2020!
It's a bit tricky especially since my right hand is so dominant but I suggest going slow and careful and you may like the results.

Not sure why but I didn’t think it would be a popular technique. Always interesting to hear how folks shave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With a straight I generally shave left hand on left side and right hand on right side on my WTG and XTG passes. On my ATG passes it’s right on left and visa versa.

When using a DE I use my right hand with exception to N-S pass on my right neck. That I do left handed as I can choke up and hold my elbow in tighter. That gets the right blade angle for me.

Try using your shaving brush in your non-dominant hand in order to increase your confidence. As others have mentioned, shaving the left side of the face with the left hand and vice versa is preferable for many reasons (especially if one uses a straight). We have had several members here over the years who were forced to shave with their non-dominant hands for a while... a useful skill to have.

I've thought about. I even gave it a go with a cart, but no, my left hand and arm rubbish.

I'd give my right arm to be ambitextrous

I'll use my right hand most of the time. On occasion, I'll use my left hand when shaving the right side of my face & neck. I worked at learning to use both hands, so now I practice it to keep it.

I've thought about. I even gave it a go with a cart, but no, my left hand and arm rubbish.

I'd give my right arm to be ambitextrous

You don’t have to be ambidextrous. I’m certainly not. I cannot write left handed to save my neck. Since I was little, I drove screws with my left hand.

Stop focusing on what your hand and grip are doing and concentrate on the blade. The grip will follow more naturally when you aren’t overthinking it.

I'll use my right hand most of the time. On occasion, I'll use my left hand when shaving the right side of my face & neck. I worked at learning to use both hands, so now I practice it to keep it.
Yup my sitch exactly.

I have always shaved with both hands. I cannot imagine shaving the left side of my face with my right hand. How would you even do that?

I am right handed. Before I needed to shave, I had a drum teacher who asked me to do day-to-day things with both hands - like open doors, brush my teeth, etc. So I did and, as they say, the rest is history :).

For the younger shaving enthusiasts out there, I would urge you to give it a try.

The weird part is that I did not even realize that many people shave with only one hand.

I use either hand, switching back and forth, many times over my daily shaves. I forced myself to learn using both hands when learning open blades shaving. Is probably be hard pressed to stick to one now lol.

Top Bottom