What's new

Switching from Rockwell 6S to Karve?

I used a Karve with the open comb F plate 14 days in a row over the last few weeks while in Hawaii. I used to have a Rockwell 6S, and used the #6 plate from time to time, but I gave the razor and plates to my son. I guess you know where I stand on this issue.

I have had both Rockwell 6S and Karve SB with D and E plates. I sold Karve. Rockwell is much better for me. Karve does not bend the blade enough which makes shaving angle too tricky for me. Also Karve has too little blade exposure ( huge safety bar). But I have heavy beard so maybe if you have soft beard you can use Karve with success.

I’ve been seriously thinking about getting a karve or a Rex. The more I read about people’s experience with the karve the closer I’m getting to pulling the trigger on one. Most users seem to be happy with it Especially at the price it sells for

I’ve been seriously thinking about getting a karve or a Rex. The more I read about people’s experience with the karve the closer I’m getting to pulling the trigger on one. Most users seem to be happy with it Especially at the price it sells for
For what it's worth, I much prefer the Rex to the Karve. I find it booth smoother and more efficient. However, there is a significant price difference.

More aggressive plates on the karve just lead to more nicks/irritation for me. So comparing the best karve plate for me (C) to my best setting on the Rex (1.5), the Rex is much better in every way.

Ok thanks. I usually shave on a 7 or 8 with my Gillette slim. Not everyday usually about 3 days sometimes more

Ok thanks. I usually shave on a 7 or 8 with my Gillette slim. Not everyday usually about 3 days sometimes more
I'm going to be in the minority also here but I've got the Rex and Karve too. The Karve C is very smooth, but I can't stand the way it leaves lots off whiskers behind. So the D plate, it gets rid of more of the whiskers but a little bit more irritating and so forth with the E plate. I'm not giving up on it yet.
rex is pretty smoother up to about or 4 1/2 give or take, and a lot more efficient to my face. The funny thing is everybody is different, so I guess we have to buy it and try it the only thing I know to do.(Autocorrect struck again)

Last edited:
I have used the the Karve B and C SB and C OC, and can say for me the the Rockwell plates 5 and 6 blow them out of the water in terms of smoothness and efficiency. Like other poster said, the Karve doesn't bend the blade enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a Karve B/C when I used a 6S on R4 frequently. I couldn't get the Karve to work without irritation. The Rockwell was pretty easy. However, I seem to be in the minority with that experience. And, I sold both and stuck with vintage Gillettes.

You’ve got company. I can’t use the Karve without tearing my neck up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I now have 4 razors.. Rockwell 6c, Parker Variant, Viking Emperor, and Crusader. I like them all. Slight differences in all. but enjoy those differences - I am not one who thinks there is only one perfect razor - love adjustable. Want the Rockwell T when it comes on. Great experience in all razors!

I spent quite a bit of time this past weekend surveying conversations on the topic on several forums, as well as looking at a lot of other online information. Having read dozens of comments by those who have used both the Rockwell 6S/6C and the Karve, I would say 90% preferred the Karve slightly or dramatically.

It's convincing enough for me that I pulled the trigger last night and ordered a Karve SB with an E plate. My daily shavers in the past have been the R41, Ikon Tech and the 6S with R6 -- yet I'm still a little nervous about the E plate, hoping I'm not sacrificing too much smoothness/comfort for greater efficiency.

I appreciate all the very helpful input; thanks so much.
I have both and enjoy both. Each has its place. For me the Rockwell 6S is much sturdier and I use it as my travel razor. I also use it in my regular at-home rotation. I almost always get a good shave with little irritation using my Rockwell. R1 is a complete waste of time however.

I would, however, give an edge to the Karve as it gives a more precise shave and is well-machined. I have all the SB plates and can easily dial in each shave or even each pass with a different plate according to my specific needs at that point in time. Each of the plates actually do work though AA is more of a cleanup type plate than anything else.

I actually don't think you can go wrong with either choice. I am sure you will be happy with your Karve.

I love the blade bend on the 6S/6C (I have both)!
I find usability on the Rockwell is also nicer than the Karve and the final shave is just about the same for me however, the Karve gives me just one advantage over the Rockwell, which is that I can get BBS on my lower neck with no irritation, even in the summer months when my skin is more prone to heat irritation as the day progresses.

If I had to recommend just one, it would be a very tough call! For very sensitive skin, the Karve would probably win out, otherwise I really love them both!

Anyone have/use a Charcoal Goods Handle (M5 x 0.8mm thread) with a Karve (#10-32 thread) by chance? I was going to buy the plates only and use it with my CG handle. Curious if there are any compatibility issues. Thanks.

I have the B and C in the oc Karve plates and the C,D,E, and F plate in the closed plate. I used the 5 plate with the Rockwell and I get my most comfortable shaves with the C oc and the D closed with the Karve. I never did like the weight or large head of the Rockwell 6S and I sold it after using the Karve.
Which do you prefer - OC or SB?

Ihave the Rockwell.

I also have the Karve D and E SB plates, as well as the C and D OC plates.

I had the F SB, but sold it.

Honestly, I can't pick a favorite.

Both razors are excellent.

Ihave the Rockwell.

I also have the Karve D and E SB plates, as well as the C and D OC plates.

I had the F SB, but sold it.

Honestly, I can't pick a favorite.

Both razors are excellent.
For you, which plate most correlates to the Rockwell 5-plate, assuming you go for BBS shave?

Top Bottom