What's new

Switching from Rockwell 6S to Karve?

The Rockwell 6S with R6 plate has been my daily shaver for over a year. I thought I'd found my Grail razor...until I started reading comments about the Karve. I know there are some active threads about Rockwells recently, but I would appreciate any extra advice based on your experience about buying a Karve that might give an even closer, smoother shave than the Rockwell.

OC or SB? D or E or F plate? I'm tempted to buy, but would like to make at least an educated guess.

Thanks for any input!

I don't have Karve but based on my short experience OC will give you smoother and closer shave than SB
I don't want to derail you but for your information, if you want to get smoothest, closest and most efficient shave you should look into Slant head razors which work even for sensitive skin

I bought a Karve B/C when I used a 6S on R4 frequently. I couldn't get the Karve to work without irritation. The Rockwell was pretty easy. However, I seem to be in the minority with that experience. And, I sold both and stuck with vintage Gillettes.

I have the B and C in the oc Karve plates and the C,D,E, and F plate in the closed plate. I used the 5 plate with the Rockwell and I get my most comfortable shaves with the C oc and the D closed with the Karve. I never did like the weight or large head of the Rockwell 6S and I sold it after using the Karve.

I use the Rockwell S with the 4 plate and the Karve SB with the C and D plate. For me, the Rockwell gives the smoothest shave of ANY razor that I have. When my beard is a bit longer I use the D plate. Otherwise, the C plate. I could be happy with either plate as my daily razor.

With my Rockwell, to get a comfortable shave, I could only use 2 or 3.

But with the Karve, I can use almost all plates (i.e. AA-D) and get comfort. For super smooth, I turn to AA or A.

So I sold my 6s. No regrets at all.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I used the Rockwell 4 Plate and the Karve C SB Plate. Very good shaves but too heavy for me. Back to my 48-50 Crat which is my go to daily driver.

Interesting discussion. I own a 6S which has been my daily driver and I have been very happy with it. I am waiting for a Karve with C SB and a B OC Plate. There were several reasons I was drawn to the Karve but I was not unhappy with The Rockwell. Thankfully I’m not wetshaving to save money. I am not expecting a great difference but I hope to enjoy the new purchase.

I used a Rockwell 6S almost exclusively for about a year and a half. I got my Karve last May. I went back and forth for awhile, testing and comparing. It really didn't take long. My Rockwell is gathering dust now. I have a number of plates and will be getting more. But as everything in shaving, YMMV!

The Rockwell 6S on plate 3 is my favorite, gives a smooth shave and works with almost all blades I put into it. I tried the Game Changer and it’s too much blade feel for my taste. I have the Mamba that I’m also enjoying but still prefer the Rockwell. I have been reading great reviews with the current razors such as Karve and Timeless, it’s tempting but I’m happy with Rockwell so I’ve been resisting.

I have been using a Rockwell 6S for just over a year now. I normally use between the 2/3/4 plates but sometimes the 5 on a few days growth. It trumps my Rex Ambassador in my usage.

Last week my new Karve arrived with SB-B, SB-C and OC-A plates.
Used the B and A plates once each so far, and all other shaves on the C. The thing that struck me initially with all 3 plates, is that i need to ride the cap more than i would with the Rockwell. It was the only learning curve for me but once i nailed it, i feel the angle comes naturally, and the shave is very smooth.
Today's shave was a perfect example of this.

I will go to the B plate tomorrow, and with my angle sorted, will expect a great shave.

I like my 6S on 4 with a shim between the blade and the bottom plate to increase rigidity.

Recently I spent the entire month of March using a Karve SB with a D plate and a GSB.
In all honesty, I think I'd like to try the E plate to see if I like it better.

I spent quite a bit of time this past weekend surveying conversations on the topic on several forums, as well as looking at a lot of other online information. Having read dozens of comments by those who have used both the Rockwell 6S/6C and the Karve, I would say 90% preferred the Karve slightly or dramatically.

It's convincing enough for me that I pulled the trigger last night and ordered a Karve SB with an E plate. My daily shavers in the past have been the R41, Ikon Tech and the 6S with R6 -- yet I'm still a little nervous about the E plate, hoping I'm not sacrificing too much smoothness/comfort for greater efficiency.

I appreciate all the very helpful input; thanks so much.

Nice! Mine shipped today, an OC B. Took about 10 days from when I ordered to shipment notice. Really looking forward to trying the Karve.

I spent quite a bit of time this past weekend surveying conversations on the topic on several forums, as well as looking at a lot of other online information. Having read dozens of comments by those who have used both the Rockwell 6S/6C and the Karve, I would say 90% preferred the Karve slightly or dramatically.

It's convincing enough for me that I pulled the trigger last night and ordered a Karve SB with an E plate. My daily shavers in the past have been the R41, Ikon Tech and the 6S with R6 -- yet I'm still a little nervous about the E plate, hoping I'm not sacrificing too much smoothness/comfort for greater efficiency.

I appreciate all the very helpful input; thanks so much.

March 30 I posted that I was waiting for a Karve and had been using a 6S up to that point. I have now had a good two weeks with the Karve and I love it. I am not knocking the 6S but if I had to choose the answer would be simple. I would choose the Karve.
I really feel that I get a better shave.

Top Bottom