What's new

Switching from negative to positive blade exposure (Rockwell/Tatara)

I've been, almost exclusively, using the the Rockwell 6s during the past years. Over the past months I moved from the standard 4 plate to using plates 5 and 6. My shaves have significantly improved, I assume this is due to less buffing/passes.

While I'm happy with the results and comfort, I do wonder if the negative blade exposure of Rockwell's 5 and 6 plates is preventing me from getting effortless BBS-shaves?

The Tatare Nodachi has a positive blade exposure of 0,13 mm, I'm wondering whether this could help with getting my problem areas smooth without too much buffing? Would I sacrifice that much in comfort/smoothness?

If anyone has both razors and could comment, that would be awesome, all feedback welcome!

Happy shaves :lemo:

I've been, almost exclusively, using the the Rockwell 6s during the past years. Over the past months I moved from the standard 4 plate to using plates 5 and 6. My shaves have significantly improved, I assume this is due to less buffing/passes.

While I'm happy with the results and comfort, I do wonder if the negative blade exposure of Rockwell's 5 and 6 plates is preventing me from getting effortless BBS-shaves?

The Tatare Nodachi has a positive blade exposure of 0,13 mm, I'm wondering whether this could help with getting my problem areas smooth without too much buffing? Would I sacrifice that much in comfort/smoothness?

If anyone has both razors and could comment, that would be awesome, all feedback welcome!

Happy shaves :lemo:

If the Rockwell does indeed have slight negative exposure, all that means is that a very slight amount of pressure may be necessary to maintain optimum effective contact with the skin.

I like the Nodachi more than I do my Rockwell but there's no way to isolate exposure from the other design differences which distinguish them, they are completely different razors.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

If the Rockwell does indeed have slight negative exposure, all that means is that a very slight amount of pressure may be necessary to maintain optimum effective contact with the skin.

I like the Nodachi more than I do my Rockwell but there's no way to isolate exposure from the other design differences which distinguish them, they are completely different razors.

Thanks for the feedback!

Comparing the two, which characteristics would you consider distinctly different?

Thanks for the feedback!

Comparing the two, which characteristics would you consider distinctly different?
Here are the two heads. Nodachi clamps the blade tightly close to the blade edge with full bottom support (like Wolfman does). Rockwell head is in the German style with long clamp distance and bottom support only at the two fulcrum points. Then you've got weight. And height. Really they are pretty much two opposite approaches to razor design.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Forgot to mention that the Karve head design appears to be closer to the Nodachi than the Rockwell.
Closer yes. FWIW for me the Nodachi at once feels milder than the Karve while being more efficient.Weight figures in some, just the Karve head being about 9g heavier, and depending on handle choice considerably more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom