What's new

Switching brands and saving ££££

I’ve been using Merkur platinum blades since I started DE shaving 10+ years ago. This week I tried out Feather blades on
my Muhle R41 screw I got for Christmas.

I’ve been very comfortable using my Merkur platinum they give a lovely shaving experience. However I thought I’d give Feather ago purely because of the cost saving.

I’ve just brought 200 Fethers for £38.70 free posting as well. My last purchase of 20 Merkur platinum were £13.25 free post.

Saving me £93.80 I’d still be happy if I need to replace Feathers twice as often.

Now for the performance using my Muhle R41 screw, Simpson X2L and Floris 89 soap, day one of fresh blade.

Merkur Platinum-
These are really quite beautiful to shave with, smooth gliding and on a three pass shave, very consistent. First with the grain, second against and third across the grain on my cheeks and with the grain on my neck.

Feather-
These feel more on the edge of the limit and what I would assume a straight razor might feel like. Again same shaving technique as above. I do feel my neck is smoother using these and possibly a tad smoother on my cheeks.

For the money I’m switching, offsetting my uncontrollable brush and soap addiction.

Anyone else had a big saving switching brands?

proxy.php

proxy.php

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have tried at least 20 different blades over the past 6-7 years of DE shaving. I have found the smoothest blades are the Derby Extra, Prime and USTA, the Feather are sharpest. If I had to use only one blade going forward it would be any one of the Derby and but I like a very close shave with a feather now and than and am happy to keep them around. To answer your question, the Derby blades seem to be some of the least expensive around. So yes I am saving money with them, but of course the price per blade is pennies and I usually get 7 to 14 shaves per blade so the cost of a blade averaged over the number of shaves is minimal whatever blade is used.

I think you are now ready to explore some more brands, most of which will give you real savings over the Feather blades. For me the Feathers are best in my Timeless Titanium but less so in my other razors. They are also the shortest lived of all my blades.

Others in my top tier are the St. Petersburg PPI produced Nacet and GSB, Israeli Personna (reds), and most recently US Personna Lab Blues. My best bang for the buck are Astra SP.

For my face and shaving style all of the above are better and more cost effective than the Merkurs.

Good luck and I hope you find your ideal blade or blades.

Seriously?! Using Merkurs for 10 years? And now switching to another expensive brand that is just cheaper than the ridiculously priced Merkurs. Sharpness is soo different between those two brands. You could certainly save a lot more if you try different brands that are cheaper than the Feather.

Feathers are not my
Cup of tea, but I like Kai in my mild razors and lots of other more efficient blades.

In the end it is going to be
-Do you like the shave?
-How many good shave from that blade?
-Are you able and willing to pay that price per shave?

And I mean I have razors which eat a blade in just two shaves and ones who take six weeks.

When you get just a couple of shaves from those feathers then make sure to order a test package of other efficient blades. You might find an even better price performance wonder.

Top Bottom