What's new

Switchin' back to a pipe...

I've recently gotten back into pipe smoking after the SWMBO said she missed the aroma from when we were dating back in the college days. That and I too missed the days of sitting out on the porch, reading some John Chrysostom, and enjoying a bowl.

Smoked some Caravan by G.L. Pease with the boys the other night. Standard Balkan, nice "incensy" notes, but it didn't blow me away. I don't think Caravan will be in my tobacky jar for standard rotation.

Now the wife got me some "Autumn Evening" for my birthday. I was a bit reluctant because back in the college days, aromatics were a dime-a-dozen, and a lot of them had nice room notes (I started out smoking Heroes and Legacies 'Chairman of the Board' which would make my wife, then girlfriend, swoon. But when I moved on to Piccadilly by GLP, Elizabethan Mixture by Dunhill, etc. I never turned back). But other than that it was just like sucking on hot smoke. This one blew me away and I think I'll be buying Cornell & Diehl's Autumn Evening in bulk for now on.

So, since I've missed out on the pipe tobacco world for about four years now, what's up? Does McCleland still have that ketchupy aroma out of the tin? :thumbdown And with that in mind, what should I be looking to smoke next? I was thinking of trying Red Stag and Briar Fox by Cornell & Diehl....

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
First of all Good choice going with the Autumn Evening, it is an excellent pipe tobacco, and always makes me want pancakes.

Yes McClelands still has the Katsup smell. How long have you been away from pipes? Dunhill is coming back to the US hopefully by the end of the month.

Make sure you come visit us at the Brotherhood of the Briar

First of all Good choice going with the Autumn Evening, it is an excellent pipe tobacco, and always makes me want pancakes.

Yes McClelands still has the Katsup smell. How long have you been away from pipes? Dunhill is coming back to the US hopefully by the end of the month.

Make sure you come visit us at the Brotherhood of the Briar

Thanks.

I've been away for about three years. I gave them up shortly after we got married since my apartment had a no smoking on premises policy. Now that we are living elsewhere....

I remember smoking Dunhill's Nightcap and it knocking me to my bum! I loved Elizabethan Mixture and Durbar, though. I was always disappointed I never got to smoke Early Morning Pipe or Aperitif.

Welcome back!

I like smoking a pipe as well.

My favorite blends...

Aurora by McClelland, a little ketchupy goodness, not much though

3 Oaks Syrian, by McClelland

Full Virginia Flake from Sam Gawith

Escudo

McLelland #710 Columbian Mocha brings the ladies in from afar, a "chocolate" thing I suppose. It's actually a rather nice aromatic, tastes like you're smoking a cappucino.

I only smoke 1 aromatic and it is McClelland Town Topic. Smells like maple syrup and tastes like a pancake. Mmmmmmm:thumbup:

If you're particularly looking for an aromatic, my wife really likes Peter Stokkebye Kentucky Nougat...she always says I taste of chocolate if she kisses me whilst I'm smoking it :thumbup:

I'm finding EMP a great smoke at any time of day (we've got Dunhill in stock here in the UK).

I've recently gotten back into pipe smoking after the SWMBO said she missed the aroma from when we were dating back in the college days. That and I too missed the days of sitting out on the porch, reading some John Chrysostom, and enjoying a bowl.

Smoked some Caravan by G.L. Pease with the boys the other night. Standard Balkan, nice "incensy" notes, but it didn't blow me away. I don't think Caravan will be in my tobacky jar for standard rotation.

Now the wife got me some "Autumn Evening" for my birthday. I was a bit reluctant because back in the college days, aromatics were a dime-a-dozen, and a lot of them had nice room notes (I started out smoking Heroes and Legacies 'Chairman of the Board' which would make my wife, then girlfriend, swoon. But when I moved on to Piccadilly by GLP, Elizabethan Mixture by Dunhill, etc. I never turned back). But other than that it was just like sucking on hot smoke. This one blew me away and I think I'll be buying Cornell & Diehl's Autumn Evening in bulk for now on.

So, since I've missed out on the pipe tobacco world for about four years now, what's up? Does McCleland still have that ketchupy aroma out of the tin? :thumbdown And with that in mind, what should I be looking to smoke next? I was thinking of trying Red Stag and Briar Fox by Cornell & Diehl....

Good luck with the mouth cancer.:thumbdown
-Fritz

I'm thinking G.L. Pease Blackpoint and Balkan Sasieni might be interesting tobaccos for you to try out. They smoke easy and tend to have a relatively complex flavour profile.

Autumn Evening is one of the few I'm allowed to smoke in the car with the wife. The PS aromatics always seem to smoke hot and bite but they do smell nice. You might want to give Samuel Gawith's Firedance Flake or Celtic Talisman a shot both very good. IMHO a best buy all day smoke is John Middleton's Sugar Barrel.

Last edited:
The new series from GL Pease is good. Ive only tried Chelsea Morning and Quiet Nights. The third one called Meridian just came out. Westminster from GL Pease is also a really good english. As far as the McClelland, yes most of them still have that ketchup smell. Luckily it doesn't translate to the taste.

Interesting thread. I have not seen anyone smoke a pipe until recently. This past week I have come across a couple gents puffing away. Something about pipe tobacco that is really appealing.

Interesting thread. I have not seen anyone smoke a pipe until recently. This past week I have come across a couple gents puffing away. Something about pipe tobacco that is really appealing.

I've only been smoking a pipe for 3 months (after 25 years of cigs) and I've seen more pipe smokers in that time than I ever remember seeing...It might just be that I'm more aware of my fellow lovers of the briar :001_smile

Top Bottom