What's new

Switched to tea after 50 years with coffee

I like almost everything related to tea. Once in a while I'll have coffee. There is nothing like brewing loose leaf tea in a proper heavy porcelain teapot. I use a stainless steel infuser and watch the brewing time fairly closely.

In the morning, English Breakfast or Irish Breakfast. Afternoon, usually Ceylon or Ceylon blended with a bit of Assam. Occasionally Darjeeling for a treat. Later on, maybe some green tea or jasmine tea. Asian food goes well with Oolong.

Herbal teas include Rooibus and Hibiscus with Rosehips. Sometimes Chamomile in the evening before bedtime. I have a separate teapot just for herbal tea (colored green 😁)

I used to drink more expensive stuff, nowadays as long as it's not swill I'm fairly content.

My last cup of coffee was back in October. I drank nearly a pot a day for 40 years. I just love it. But I don't think it's been good for my stomach. So since last October I've been drinking tea. I eventually want to get off the tea as well, but there's something comforting about these warm beverages. So I've settled on Yorkshire Gold with a splash of heavy cream. It's been good. And if I want to splurge and have it sweet, I forgo sugar or honey and use monkfruit sweetener -- tastes and smells like real sugar but without the carbs. But I only sweeten it rarely.

My last cup of coffee was back in October. I drank nearly a pot a day for 40 years. I just love it. But I don't think it's been good for my stomach. So since last October I've been drinking tea. I eventually want to get off the tea as well, but there's something comforting about these warm beverages. So I've settled on Yorkshire Gold with a splash of heavy cream. It's been good. And if I want to splurge and have it sweet, I forgo sugar or honey and use monkfruit sweetener -- tastes and smells like real sugar but without the carbs. But I only sweeten it rarely.
You don't need to get off either (unless you have some medical condition that warrants that). They're both good for you and are antioxidant.
But just don't drink a pot a day as you did before, Lol!!

used to be a espresso guy but quit that recently :)

did used to try to like tea and never loved it :)

had a South African friend his memories of Roobois were huge but he said they used to load it with sugar and cream as a kid

the one thing I did like was Pu'er tea but found it had to be good stuff as the cheap stuff tasted bad :) but the good stuff was very interesting for sure and should be tried

All of the above for me. One square of dark chocolate first thing in the morning, followed by one cup of tea, usually Yorkshire or Yorkshire Gold, followed by one cup of coffee. Doesn't seem like too much caffeine to me. Often, but not always, another cup of tea in the afternoon. If I have coffee in the afternoon or a second cup of coffee in the morning, it often feels like too much caffeine to me.

PG Tips and Twinings Earl Grey remain my go to's, but King Cole (Canadian orange pekoe) and Yorkshire Gold are up there too. Coffee wakes me up, but tea makes me pleasant for the rest of the day.

I'm a huge Earl Grey fan, with some appreciation for other black teas as well. I very rarely stray outside of black tea, though.

The best I've found is Murchie's Earl Grey, which I buy by the half kilo, lol. They also have a Canadian Breakfast tea, if folk want to see where a touch of maple ends up in the breakfast hierarchy, hehe.

I like my Earl Grey STRONG, too, but not bitter. I've found steeping it at 95+ degrees as is always recommended to be a big mistake, unless I'm very careful to only let it steep for 30-45 seconds. I prefer to steep it at 80-85 degrees, as at that temperature I can walk away and let it steep for as long as I want (or until I remember I'm steeping tea) and it will seemingly never* get bitter.

I also steep it in a stainless steel milk frothing cup I stole from the wife's espresso machine (it came with two, so I still get to live) and just pour it into my mug of choice through a small strainer, because I got VERY frustrated trying to find a dedicated tea steeper that I didn't hate every damn thing about, heh.

*My longest test so far has been about 7 hours, when I forgot I was making tea before going to bed, so I just had it cold in the morning.

In the past, I'd repeatedly sworn off coffee for a couple of years and only drank tea. I believe that it did me good.

At present, I get up between five and six in the morning, and start the day with coffee. At eight, I drink tea with my breakfast. Currently, I'm searching for the perfect Darjeeling tea. It doesn't seem to taste as good as previously.

I brew my tea in this nice mug my girlfriend bought me for my 72nd birthday in a museum shop. She knew that I'd wanted it very much.

Attachments

• P1130897.JPG
    P1130897.JPG
    1,017 KB · Views: 11

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
When I was teaching I would routinely drink 5-6 mugs of coffee a day. Now I drink one in the morning and tea in the afternoon. I try to avoid the bags of tea dust. Adagio Teas have a great selection in a handful of sizes. Most of the samplers (usually $3) make 10 cups. That allows me to have some fun with selections as well as enough time to assess where they fit on my favorites list.

1662465693885.png
I've tried infusers, etc., and find this is the easiest way to make tea. When the tea is "cooked" you place it on top of the cup/mug and it drains through the bottom.

After 2 weeks in England drinking tea, I decided to switch from coffee. Went to the tea shop & $133 later came home with 1lb of Irish Breakfast & 10oz of Supreme Breakfast (3 times the price of the Irish Breakfast) plus an infuser, the type that sits on the rim of the cup, about 3" deep with lid that you set the infuser on after brewing. And a scoop. Dumped the Kona from the airtight locking ceramic canister to give to my niece & washed it out. Only big enough for about 12oz, but that should last me for many moons.
2 scoops is perfect for steeping 16oz in my Yeti (B&B sniped me with it a few years ago), and that's good for 2 full steepings (about 32oz total).
I drink it black, just like I take my coffee, but I may try it with a little honey (the only sweetener I occasionally used in my coffee)
@Toothpick I read that you also switched from coffee to tea about a year ago. What teas do you prefer?

Welcome to the civilised world!:lol:

Good save the King ... may his rule be long and prosperous ... like his mother's.

I don’t even know why I clicked on this thread. I’m mainly a coffee drinker. But, while I’m reading it, I realize that my wife’s birthday is coming up (she likes grocery bought teas)….and thanks to you guys and #Toothpick, I’m now poking around Harney’s site.

She’s going to feel treated for sure when she sees all these, what I’ll call, higher class teas. I may have to dabble in some myself. The cinnamon spice sounds good. I already have 4 varieties in the cart. Even going to do the loose tea thing. From Amazon, I ordered her a glass tea kettle with the basket infuser that goes into the top opening.

Thanks all for this inadvertent birthday gift idea! Awesome!

I quit drinking coffee sometime in late spring and now enjoy teas as much as I enjoyed coffee.
Currently working on a huge bag of Assam (granulated). Steep at 90°C and serve with a bit of milk. Never use sugar.

Top Bottom