What's new

Switched to tea after 50 years with coffee

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
After 2 weeks in England drinking tea, I decided to switch from coffee. Went to the tea shop & $133 later came home with 1lb of Irish Breakfast & 10oz of Supreme Breakfast (3 times the price of the Irish Breakfast) plus an infuser, the type that sits on the rim of the cup, about 3" deep with lid that you set the infuser on after brewing. And a scoop. Dumped the Kona from the airtight locking ceramic canister to give to my niece & washed it out. Only big enough for about 12oz, but that should last me for many moons.
2 scoops is perfect for steeping 16oz in my Yeti (B&B sniped me with it a few years ago), and that's good for 2 full steepings (about 32oz total).
I drink it black, just like I take my coffee, but I may try it with a little honey (the only sweetener I occasionally used in my coffee)
@Toothpick I read that you also switched from coffee to tea about a year ago. What teas do you prefer?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’m lazy. So I buy the sachets from Harney & Sons. 90% of the time it’s Hot Cinnamon Spice. It’s black tea spiced with…..cinnamon. It smells and tastes like Christmas.

I’ve also tried their Paris blend, English Breakfast, Dragon Pearl Jasmine, AOH Hibernian Blend (garbage, tasted like dirt), Earl Grey, Chamomile, Irish Breakfast, Hot Apple Spice, Lapsang, Souchong (also terrible), Victorian London Fog, Chocolate Mint (bleh, not terrible but not as great as it sounds), Cranberry Autumn, Russian Country.

I get something new every time I place an order for the Hot Cinnamon Spice. Haven’t tried the Russian Country yet (bout to in a few min actually). Mostly all I’ve tried are black teas. Some green, and some herbal but 90% black tea.

Other than the Hot Cinnamon Spice (did I say it’s awesome? And their #1 bestseller?) Out of the teas I’ve tried I like the Irish Breakfast and Paris blend the most. IMO they are just classic black teas.

FYI, Harney & Sons sells A TON of loose leaf tea. So if loose leaf is more your thing mostly all their teas are sold in loose leaf or bagged. Like I said….I buy the bagged just cause I’m lazy.

Their shipping has been pretty quick. And you get points with every purchase which you can use toward the cost of stuff on their website. I think so far I’ve gotten a few free bags. And they always send free samples with your order.

Ah, tea, lovely tea. Harney and Sons is good. Taylors of Harrogate is also excellent.

English Breakfast is good. Irish Breakfast is better. Scottish breakfast is best.

Taylors of Harrogate Yorkshire Gold is my go to option. Nice all around tea.

A bit of Half & Half makes a lovely addition to some teas. No sugar or honey for me.

Usually make tea by the cup. A pot is a real treat. Boil twice, once with water for heating the pot, second time for the tea.

Enjoy!

captp

I’m lazy. So I buy the sachets from Harney & Sons. 90% of the time it’s Hot Cinnamon Spice. It’s black tea spiced with…..cinnamon. It smells and tastes like Christmas.

I’ve also tried their Paris blend, English Breakfast, Dragon Pearl Jasmine, AOH Hibernian Blend (garbage, tasted like dirt), Earl Grey, Chamomile, Irish Breakfast, Hot Apple Spice, Lapsang, Souchong (also terrible), Victorian London Fog, Chocolate Mint (bleh, not terrible but not as great as it sounds), Cranberry Autumn, Russian Country.

I get something new every time I place an order for the Hot Cinnamon Spice. Haven’t tried the Russian Country yet (bout to in a few min actually). Mostly all I’ve tried are black teas. Some green, and some herbal but 90% black tea.

Other than the Hot Cinnamon Spice (did I say it’s awesome? And their #1 bestseller?) Out of the teas I’ve tried I like the Irish Breakfast and Paris blend the most. IMO they are just classic black teas.

FYI, Harney & Sons sells A TON of loose leaf tea. So if loose leaf is more your thing mostly all their teas are sold in loose leaf or bagged. Like I said….I buy the bagged just cause I’m lazy.

Their shipping has been pretty quick. And you get points with every purchase which you can use toward the cost of stuff on their website. I think so far I’ve gotten a few free bags. And they always send free samples with your order.

And I thought I was lazy. Loose tea is so little work, and such a huge saving over bags that I just can't afford to be lazy. I think my tea shop is a bit cheaper (one time there & I already think of it as my shop)

Coffee I drink black and short.

Tea is black (second Flush Assam or Ostfriesen Tee) with sugar and milk/cream

F3CAAD6F-2C2D-48B3-87BF-41041E4BCCAD.jpeg

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I'm a huge fan of Earl Grey, especially a nice White Tip Earl Grey, and I prefer Irish Breakfast over English Breakfast. You might also enjoy PG Tipps or Yorkshire Gold, both of which are teabags available at many grocery stores. Enjoy!
I’ve been enjoying “The Queen‘s blend” a 50-50 mash up of Earl Grey and English Breakfast. I’m no longer a daily coffee drinker, the occasional is still enjoyed. My regular is Red Rose (from childhood) although Yorkshire Gold has been a nice change.

captp

I've been interested in Tea. I only drink Ice tea in the Mid-day but I'd like to learn more. Can anyone link me to a nice/proper way to make tea including the strainer to buy?
Thanks.
Check @Toothpick's post above. He links to where he gets his tea. They have some good information on types of tea, how to brew it, and the accessories you need, like a proper infuser (strainer) and, I think proper sized scoops. Prices are pretty much in line with my local tea shop, a bit more expensive, but not much.

I drink tea half the year while working and coffee the other half while home. Pu-erh is indeed a deep dark hole that I dabbled in that can get pricey and fun. Harney and Sons has many fantastic sales if you give them an email address. Their Paris and if you can find some Londonderry (not their brand but type) which is a marvelous black tea with dried strawberries. PG Tips is the easy and economical daily. Otherwise it’s roasting beans and nerding out on the Aeropress.
@Chef455, thanks for that infuser sir, researching now.

Did you know that by replacing coffee with tea you can lose up to 70% of what little joy there is left in life?

Jokes aside, each to their own, nothing wrong with a good tea. I’m a coffee man but occasionally I’ll have a jasmine or green. Sometimes chai if I’m feeling especially decadent.

Last edited:
Top Bottom