What's new

Switched to a two pass shave

I've recently switched to a wtg then atg two pass shave. I'm trying to paying more attention to technique and my beard map. I must say I've been getting bbs no irratation/no cuts results from the switch.
I just got a enjoyable 2 pass bbs with a tech. I'm so happy.
I only started this journey 8 months ago. I really feel I'm getting better and more efficient with each shaves.
At 40 years old I wish I knew about this when I was 13. I almost feel cheated from the lost time. I used to loath shaving now it's one of my favorite parts of my day.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I've recently switched to a wtg then atg two pass shave. I'm trying to paying more attention to technique and my beard map. I must say I've been getting bbs no irratation/no cuts results from the switch.
I just got a enjoyable 2 pass bbs with a tech. I'm so happy.
I only started this journey 8 months ago. I really feel I'm getting better and more efficient with each shaves.
At 40 years old I wish I knew about this when I was 13. I almost feel cheated from the lost time. I used to loath shaving now it's one of my favorite parts of my day.
Good for you with your 2 pass shave, if you get the same results as a 3 pass that means possibly less irritation and weepers.
I do a 2 pass with some pickups and it works for me, a 3 pass with pickups might be over shaving for some folks.
I daily shave so there is not that much to knock down. I have done a 1 pass a few times and do not care for it unless using my Gillette 5 blade cartridge (a rarity now a days).
Have some great shaves!

Everyone’s face is different, but A two pass plus touch up works for me, shaving everyday. Maybe it would be different if I skipped days? In any case, can’t argue with success. Glad it’s working for you!

My chase for daily BBS with a three-pass shave was leaving my face very irritated. Lately I’ve switched to a two-pass shave, achieving mostly a CCS/DFS with no irritation, and I couldn’t be happier. I also skip shaving on Wednesdays and weekends, when socially permissible. I find that that shaves after 2 days of growth are the most enjoyable.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Now that I am an SR shaver, I can do as many passes as I like and never have any skin irritation. As my SR technique developed, I found that 3 or more passes was giving me BBS all over. This was not good as it left me with nothing to shave the next day!

I switched to two passes (WTG + XTG) to reduce my shave result to just DFS+. This solved my problem and gave me something to shave every day.

I think the trick is to work out what gives you the overall most number of passes per week.

I do a 3 pass shave: WTG, XTG and XTG = DFS+

Previously I used to do 3 pass + touch up (WTG, XTG and ATG) = BBS

I found that going XTG twice (ear to nose and nose to ear direction) provides me with a very comfortable and close shave.

(Cue the mantra) Grasshopper: focus on technique and strive for consistency versus a pre-determined end result or shave pass count. Early on, I remember thinking, "today I'm going for a three-pass BBS shave," and then ending up with cuts, weepers and irritation because I was trying to attain a goal that my abilities weren't up to achieving. Now I focus on technique and consistent shaves without worrying about whether or not I reach a certain number of passes or a BBS result. Experience and technique allow me to get consistent DFS results with a 2 or 3 pass shave, and the occasional "surprise BBS." that, and the wisdom to know when even a DFS isn't in the cards and permission to not force it, but to finish and return to shave another day.

I do a one to a two pass and it works great for me. I strive for a comfortable rather than a BBS shave. Once I found that I needed less passes I had hardly no more problems with burn or bumps. Aces!
Same here, with a 3-pass on Saturday mornings as something to look forward to. Skin stretching a la SR shaving has recently allowed me to approach the BBS ideal with fewer passes and no irritation. I almost never achieve the ideal, you understand, but I can approach it.

My aging flabby face, having served me well for over 68 years, now has many more creases, folds, loose skin, and the like that make it a greater challenge to get every little bit completely smooth. My whiskers are tougher now, but perhaps a bit sparser. I usually do a two pass shave with some clean up. Shaves are still great, my face feels great, overall I feel great, and every day of life is good. BTW once you're on some blood thinners, even my simple aspirin regimen, nicks and weepers become more of a nuisance. So enjoy your taut, young, elastic skin while you have it fellows, because it may not last forever. For me, I started to notice a real difference in my skin in my late 50s, and much more so now 10 years later. And, yes I've wet shaved and cared for my skin for decades, but ultimately genes will be genes- at least so says my dermatologist.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Two passes is a standard "good enough" shave for me. I will occasionally do three passes, particularly if I have an event of some kind to attend, and sometimes just for the fun of it, but even at two passes, I'll be better shaved than anyone using an electric razor.

Also, at two passes, I can shave every day. After three passes, I typically need a day of rest before shaving again, or irritation can creep in over time.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
My beard is thick, wiry, chaotic and fast growing. I shave every day. My standard shave is a 3-pass WTG/XTG/ATG plus touch-ups. Sometimes WTG/WTG/ATG plus touch-ups. Sometimes I only go with 2-passes WTG/ATG plus touch-ups. However I shave, the results are what they are. :cool:

Top Bottom