What's new

switch to smart watch?

Thanks for everyone's help. It is not official yet, as this is going to be a present from family to me for Christmas, but I would say it seems I am going to get the Galaxy Watch 3, the smaller 41 mm version. Seems to have all the latest bells and whistles, including heath, sleep, and exercise, which I am very interested to try out and seems to look pretty good. I am guessing it is no surprise to anyone that this is where I ended up, after some agonizing! I am guessing that I will be turning off some of the notifications. I did figure out how to get notice of texts and to read then on my Fitbit, and that did seem worthwhile. I like the look of the smaller version, but the battery life is supposed to take a much bigger hit over the larger version than Samsung lets on.

I found a compromise. I don't need the fancy display, notifications, etc... just the sleep/fitness tracking. Took advantage of a Cyber Monday sale and ordered one of these. It'll be go in place of my wedding ring. I can still wear my watches.

Ooh, smart ring. Nice. I looked into the Echo ring but due to damage to my ring finger it wouldn't fit. Wearing something on my other fingers felt really, really strange.

And I love my Galaxy watch. I have the S3 Classic with a steel band. My watch doesn't stand out unless I let it, otherwise most people feel it looks like a classic watch until I pay at a register. I -can- easily get 2+ days without charging, and then half an hour to charge to for another 8 hour shift.
Now, if I leave it default? I'm paying stuff with it (mine has MST on it), I'm playing games, I have steps/stairs/heart rate going a lot, I'm playing with it for notifications and reading email/text, have various alarms (15 minutes before I leave work, wake-up), etc... I get a day ... day and a half. I can get home with 60% left or maybe a bit lower with all of a full day. I charge it overnight either way. Some days are better and worse, depending on use.

Also, to those worried - you can control each individual application for notifications. I get notifications for email, Hangouts, text, and like 2 apps that I follow but everything else is blocked. So I get relatively few notifications. It's nice to have HERE on the watch for navigation if I want (due to my old S7 Edge slowing down), and if T-Mobile wasn't so desperate to get me off my data plan then I could have LTE on it.
I also enjoy taking calls on it at times as it helps me relive my Power Ranger days and Dick Tracy days. ^_^

You are going to be very happy Knize.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
My answer: nope
In fact I have a vintage 1969 seiko incoming! Although I do think it’s pretty “smart”

I got Galaxy Watch 3 for Christmas. I love it. I have not begun to figure out all it can do. I like the way it looks. It seems to hold a charge good enough for my purposes. I charge it every night. I like the number of notifications.

I have always liked watches. And in recent decades had self- or manual- winding watches, because that seemed more "organic" to me. I think it would be hard to go back, though.

I know lots love technology including my son but for me personally we have enough technology and I choose to keep things simple by wearing a watch that tells me just the time but for those that want and need more kudos to them

4BB1C124-36F7-4F14-850C-BE53A6527B64.jpeg

I know lots love technology including my son but for me personally we have enough technology and I choose to keep things simple by wearing a watch that tells me just the time but for those that want and need more kudos to them

View attachment 1203955
Nice watch. I found a couple of pocket watches I forgot I had in my closet recently that my father gave me. Pretty sure they are >100 years old. One doesnt run, but the other one kept perfect time for 3 days before I stopped winding it. Just kept it on the shelf.
Where did you get the leather “chain”? I dont even have a chain of any kind.
To me, a watch is jewelry. The only jewelry I like to wear.
I dont need a “smart” watch. My circa 1950 Omega is smart enough and keeps perfect time.
My smart phone is not that smart! (As I type this on my iphone, lol).

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
For a few years I wore smart watches initially Apple Watch then I switched to Samsung. Both are really good and have improve with various iterations. Some of the health features are excellent and in fact can be life saving. However I have become increasingly concerned with the data and what happens to it. Especially the use of personal health data with health funds and companies using the data in a way that disadvantaged individuals. Particularly in the those who suffer health issues and may be refused health insurance in the future. I know mobile phones harvest data as well but I may be paranoid but when it comes to harvesting data on an individual’s health it is a bridge too far. I have though that the convenience of the smart watch maybe outweighed by issues of individual privacy.

I have returned to wearing a wind up watch and don’t regret making this what in the eyes of some maybe considered a backward step.

For a few years I wore smart watches initially Apple Watch then I switched to Samsung. Both are really good and have improve with various iterations. Some of the health features are excellent and in fact can be life saving. However I have become increasingly concerned with the data and what happens to it. Especially the use of personal health data with health funds and companies using the data in a way that disadvantaged individuals. Particularly in the those who suffer health issues and may be refused health insurance in the future. I know mobile phones harvest data as well but I may be paranoid but when it comes to harvesting data on an individual’s health it is a bridge too far. I have though that the convenience of the smart watch maybe outweighed by issues of individual privacy.

I have returned to wearing a wind up watch and don’t regret making this what in the eyes of some maybe considered a backward step.
Kudos to you for recognizing the privacy issues and taking action. Most folks say "I have nothing to hide". They don't understand that data lives forever and laws and people in power change. Therefore what may look like benign data collection today can easily be used against you at any time in the future.

That said, I am less concerned about Apple when it comes to privacy at this time, provided one can keep the watch free of 3rd party apps. Google is horrible with privacy and they have recently acquired Fitbit. Their business model and practices make me sad.

Just see a smart watch as the extension of your smartphone with roughly the same life span and you should be fine.
I am on my second Apple and I bought both second hand.
And even then with a short life span these are expensive
They are lousy for battery life
but I do not wear it all the time.
And I do not expect it to be there for 10 years or more.
They are great for
-sports tracking
-unobtrusive gps navigation
-seeing who calls before digging up your phone
-keeping your phone hidden
-remote for your music heck can even store and play music
-can be used as a phone without the phone depending model and subscription. But does not work abroad.
-just as your phone they might give too much info regarding yourself away. But since I always have my phone with me that ship has sailed.

I usually upgrade my phone every 2 to 3 years. If I start doing that with watches it’s going to become a little bit expensive. I would only consider it if some more capability for health is incorporate into the watch, such as insulin glucose measurements etc.

Top Bottom