What's new

switch to smart watch?

The Apple Series 6 watch starts at $399

The Apple Watch SE starts at $279 and the only thing you don’t get is the blood oxygen app and the ECG app. Otherwise it’s the same as the Series 6

Certainly doesn’t have to cost $800 unless you HAVE to have the more expensive models.

Watch OS 7 just came out and is supported all the way back to Series 3, which came out in 2017. So you can expect at least 3 years worth of software updates to work with any new Apple Watch. Beyond that the watch will still function without the latest software update. And considering the sheer volume of used Apple Watches out there you can likely get any physical damage repaired well beyond 5+ years. Maybe not by Apple, but there are plenty of 3rd party repair centers and in my experience they are all cheaper than what Apple would charge anyway. And although, cheaper...it’s still costly. I can’t imagine it being any more costly than service on an expensive dumb watch though.
If you are buying apple, go with the newest model! It's a nice machine. Pulse oximetry seems to work.

If you do not distrust CCP, Huawei has a small watch with similar functions as Iwatch, but it's $50. I wear one of these to go out now, but refuse to pair with a phone I use.

I still prefer for timekeeping an automatic watch (have a few).... but need the HR, EKG and maybe Sat in the watch sometimes.

I may eventually get a smartwatch but I do not find them that compelling yet. While I find a smartphone very useful and indispensable, but when at home it mostly supplements a desktop computer. Having a smartphone to supplement the phone is not something I really need, and I do not want to receive another layer of notifications.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Did you have to Download this one? I can’t find it in my list of watch faces.

For the Apple Watch correct?

Never mind. I found where it says it’s only compatible with the Series 4. I’ve got the 3.
Time for an upgrade?

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Oh that’s right. Then a good 4 or 5 years before doing it all over again. I am pretty sure that my wife is wanting the Series 6 watch. I always wait until it just won’t work anymore.
When we 1st got the Series 1 watch I would switch back and forth with my solar atomic g shocks. As time went along and I learned more about how to use the watch’s functions I was hooked. So I am on my 3rd watch.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Oh that’s right. Then a good 4 or 5 years before doing it all over again. I am pretty sure that my wife is wanting the Series 6 watch. I always wait until it just won’t work anymore.
When we 1st got the Series 1 watch I would switch back and forth with my solar atomic g shocks. As time went along and I learned more about how to use the watch’s functions I was hooked. So I am on my 3rd watch.

I have the Series 3 with cellular. I canceled the cellular a year or so ago. I just never used that feature. Before this I had the first one. I usually upgrade every 3-4 years. The yearly devices are such minor changes I find it pointless, you’re not getting much more than you already have. But after a good 3-4 years you are getting a lot better device and typically a physical design change.

Even though I am a geek and eagerly waiting to grab an iPhone 12 pro as soon as they are available, I‘ve never owned a smart watch in the real sense. A Tissot T-touch and and old Breitling Aerospace. Otherwise I’m a watch Luddite! Maybe I should try it, I’m afraid that I’d miss the clunker mechanicals too much.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have three watches, two of them being wrist watches and one being a pocket watch. All require manual winding. One of the wrist watches is very simple steel, with nylon bands, and the other is gold and dressy. It has a black leather band. I figure those two and the pocket watch have me more than covered. So I have no interest in another watch, smart or otherwise.

Id rather a nice gold or silver watch with roman numerals all round..no multiple tickers no extra goop...just plain nice watch..hard to find one like that tbh ...mainly find maybe 4 roman numerals on a face..if by chance somebody does find one..pls let me know:thumbup1:

@hcoop111 There are a few watches at the Fossil site that might be what you are looking for.

ME3099_main.jpg

I like the simplicity and non-distracting nature of a conventional watch (save it's beauty). It tells you the time. How practical!

I used a smart watch while at work as not allowed to use mobile phones while in theatre. It's good to know when a message or a missed call has happed, or how many steps etc. On the weekend though it's good old fashioned hand wound or automatic watch. Personally I found that the Amazfit brand does everything I need and they are easily customised. I use the Pace, Stratos and have recently purchased a Hip. I upgraded from my pebble watches which I still use as well.

I'll consider an Apple Watch when it loses half its thickness and weight. Until then, I'll stick to no watch. I still have my conventional watch, but it's neatly tucked away in its box and never sees the light of day. It has been several years, I think more than 7, since I wore a watch.

Didn’t really have want or have a need for one...until I retired. iPad, iPhone, Apple Watch(with GPS) Apple Music and two pairs of wireless AirPods. These things are an integral part of my new life.

Top Bottom