What's new

Switch to rotary

Hello everyone, first of all I apologize for my english, I'm italian.

Just for share my surprise about the subject.

I always find foil shaver more comfortable than rotary... so I used Braun from many years, other times Mach 3... Rotary were less comfortable and let the skin itchy and red, especially on neck.
Well, not anymore.
Surprisingly with my new Philips/Norelco Series 7000 (the new one) I felt itchy just the first time, I insisted day after day but already third time the result were superb. No itchy, no red, result superior to Braun mostly on neck. Philips shaved much better on the neck compared tu Braun and skin remains more smooth.

I have even Philips Series 5000 (the new one) and even godd not good and comfortable like 7000 (I know, the heads are compatible).
So, all this to say that now I switch to the rotary even I never would have thought.

My skin change? The rotary model change? No matter: I'm happy.

Note: the entry level of Philips its terrible for my skin though. Big red arc signs on my neck. Not anymore. So it dipende a lot by the model.

ps: I wet shave with the electric. Between 5 and 7 minutes its done.

Last edited:
I've used both Norelco and Braun at different times in the past. Funny how skin and beard are different--the foil shavers always left my skin red and feeling burned. Rotary is much better for me. Glad you found something new you like!

I still feel good with Braun but the neck...not effective cut and more red the Norelco (in Italy doesn't exist Norelco but in order to understand each other) now, different from the past.

I forgot the big plus of rotary: quiet, quiet, pleasantly quiet

Reactions: ctr
Foil and rotary razors accomplish beard removal very differently, and different skin/beard types seem to better adapt than others using one or the other, but both will usually improve with continued use - just like the manufacturers say - which generally for a full adaptation is 2-4 weeks. I actually prefer a foil shaver for ease of use, comfort and closeness, but eventually any foil shaver begins to produce ingrown hairs on my face, so I periodically switch to a rotary until it clears up. Top end electrics now are capable of delivering great shaves in either configuration, it's just a question of how your face and beard adapt.

The key takeaway for any electric shaver is allowing time for your beard and face to acclimate to that shaver. Scarmouche is 100% correct about using the shaver for 2-4 weeks before making a judgement. That’s why every electric shaver manufacturer in the United States offers a 100% refund up to a month after the date of purchase.

I know the skin takes some time to get used to but an entry level Norelco gives me still problems...anyway, bad news: day after day I start to suffer of ingrown hair. Problem I don't have with Braun series 7 and Mach 3...

Braun good but after less than 8 months need to change the blades! Lifetime too short. I stress it because daily, wet, use but I'm disappointed.

Last edited:

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I have both a rotary and a foil. I like both. Neither irritates.

I do two things.
1. Never use them wet (even the ones that they say can be used as such.
2. Always 100% of the time use Williams pre shave and shave BEFORE my shower.

If I'm using a blade the shave is always after the shower, but electric is the opposite. I find the prep that benefits the blade, is at odds with an electric shave. If my skin is hydrated/damp/clammy whatever after a shower it just messes with the electric shave

Chanda, you are 100% correct about not wetting your face before shaving with an electric shaver. Even the Braun owner’s manual recommends when shaving dry to shave before showering. I have never used Williams pre-shave before. Years ago, I used a pre-shave powder stick which absorbed any moisture on my face. Now I just get up in the morning, shave dry, then I shower. Oh, I use the porcelain throne before shaving. 😁 Like you I never shave wet with my electric shaver. As you described having your face moist after showering, even with using shaving cream, doesn’t work well.

I shave wet all the time, with the same software I use for my DE shaves, and I get the smoothest, closest, most comfortable, least irritating shaves that way. So - YMMV. Wet/dry shavers were designed specifically for that, but obviously everyone's face/skin/techniques are different. I frequently now use an electric to top off a DE shave, but many weekdays/in a hurry use an electric exclusively, and occasionally with a pre-shave like Williams, Freelette or Aramis Lab Series.

I shave wet all the time, with the same software I use for my DE shaves, and I get the smoothest, closest, most comfortable, least irritating shaves that way. So - YMMV. Wet/dry shavers were designed specifically for that, but obviously everyone's face/skin/techniques are different. I frequently now use an electric to top off a DE shave, but many weekdays/in a hurry use an electric exclusively, and occasionally with a pre-shave like Williams, Freelette or Aramis Lab Series.
My basic theory is that shaving with an electric shaver saves time and saves my face from nicks and cuts. If I have to wet my face, apply shaving cream or anything else, then using an electric shaver defeats one of its advantages, speed. I haven’t timed it in awhile, but I can shave, start to finish, in five or six minutes. That includes cleaning out the cuttings from the head cassette. Also, I do this as soon as I get up and my hand eye coordination may not be that good at 6:30 AM. 🤪 That’s when the safety aspect comes into play. I don’t waste my money on cleaning stations either. By always shaving dry and just brushing out the cuttings, I have never had any issues with any odors or other problems with any electric shavers. I have been shaving daily with electric shavers dry since 1963 or 1964, when I was a teenager.

DE shave for me (often with an electric touch-up), 30-45 minutes, including brush/soap/scuttle and cleanup. Just electric (brush/soap/scuttle and cleanup, <15 minutes. Pre-shave only electric, 5 minutes or less. So yes, time is a factor, but shaving off (pun here) an extra 5 or 10 minutes on my retired life, or even 30, not even a consideration normally.

DE shave for me (often with an electric touch-up), 30-45 minutes, including brush/soap/scuttle and cleanup. Just electric (brush/soap/scuttle and cleanup, <15 minutes. Pre-shave only electric, 5 minutes or less. So yes, time is a factor, but shaving off (pun here) an extra 5 or 10 minutes on my retired life, or even 30, not even a consideration normally.
During the 90 days I was furloughed by my company during the Covid lockdown, I called it practice retirement. And, I failed miserably. 😝 I have told my boss that my long range plans for working at this company was to be wheeled out on a stretcher to either the mortuary or to the memory care unit of the old folks home. Whichever comes first. 🤔 Therefore, saving time in the morning is important.

Here I am, sorry for the vanishing...

Ok, I have to retreat my judgement.
I ask, if possibile, to retitle the thread in a more appropriate name like "Electric journey..."

I switch to many different electric shaver. I have experience from all 3 big competitors: Braun, Philips/NOrelco, Panasonic.

Panasonic its the new entry and it's an entry leve shaver: ES-RT37

27107317809182.jpg

The conclusion it's the best shave I ever had.
More clean than Braun, no heat in the few minutes I need in a dry shave and more effective deep shave result. Very higher results thand Braun, I must admit. Because of thath less pass on the skin so less irritation.

I was warried bacuase the power motor maybe too hars for my sensitive skin...well, not at all. I suggest Panasonic to everyone.
As usual no pressure, use a light touch and the shave is effortless.

Final conclusion.
Braun (5, 7) (The 9 series too hot on the skin, confortable only wet):
- gentle but not deep dry shave and a bit of irritaion without great result
- good result in wet shaving without irritation but, sometimes, little red point
- louder than Panasonic and Philips

Philips:
- Good results on the neck; better than Braun
- Not hot because a slow motor
- Silence
- Dry shave with worste irritation of the three
- Day after day I have ingrow hairs

Panasonic:
- Less loud than Braun
- Better results everywhere, neck included
- Gentle shave, no irritation at all
- Less expensive
- Confortable even dry

Two little kids, one bathroom, no time, Panaosnic its the only I can use dry effortless.
For me, for my skin Panasonic wins. Unexpected deep shave without irritation.

I had an OmniCorp ED-209 electric razor,
but it was too aggressive,
so I switched to straights. ;)

ED-209.jpg

Last edited:

I ask, if possibile, to retitle the thread in a more appropriate name like "Electric journey..."

I switch to many different electric shaver. I have experience from all 3 big competitors: Braun, Philips/NOrelco, Panasonic.

View attachment 1540641

More clean than Braun, no heat in the few minutes I need in a dry shave and more effective deep shave result. Very higher results thand Braun, I must admit. Because of thath less pass on the skin so less irritation.

I was warried bacuase the power motor maybe too hars for my sensitive skin...well, not at all. I suggest Panasonic to everyone.

Final conclusion.
- good result in wet shaving without irritation but, sometimes, little red point

Philips:
- Silence

Panasonic:
- Less loud than Braun
- Less expensive
- Confortable even dry

Two little kids, one bathroom, no time, Panaosnic its the only I can use dry effortless.

Thanks for your enlightening review. I had a Panasonic ES8103 shaver and used it for several years. It’s still on Amazon’s website but without a price. It was $79 dollars when it was available. It appears to be a similar shaver to the ES-RT 37. The only drawback to Panasonic shavers is the price of their replacement parts. The cutters and screens are expensive. I never changed the one on the ES8103 until the shaves deteriorated, and by then, the battery wouldn’t hold a charge for more than a week. That was about five years of shaves. A replacement shaver of the same model was nearly the same price on Amazon as new replacement cutters and screens.

I switched to the Braun 7893s in April of 2019, which was on sale at Costco for $100. I have had just as good shaves with the Braun as I got with the Panasonic and the replacement cassette, both screens and cutters in one unit, was less than $40. Although Braun suggests changing the cassette every 18 months, I have only replaced it once when my shaves required a new cassette. I only shave dry and have never allowed water to touch the Braun shaver. This way I don’t have to put oil on the screens and there’s no corrosion.

The idea of using an electric shaver wet is in my opinion ridiculous. I have been shaving with Braun, Elton, and Ronson shavers since 1972. All of those were Braun shavers. Braun couldn’t use their own name in the U.S. back then nor could Phillips. They were plug in shavers and couldn’t be used wet without electrocuting yourself. I have always gotten close, comfortable shaves using them dry and just brushing out the cuttings. I also won’t own a cleaning station. It’s just another piece of junk to clutter up my bathroom counter and waste energy. Of course, the shaver manufacturers love them because you get to continuously buy the fluid. If you are not sharing your shaver with your friends, then how sanitary does it have to be? An electric shaver is NOT a surgical instrument. It works more like a scissor than a blade. The only reason I will replace the Braun is when the batteries die. If I could buy a corded model with the same quality cutters and screens, I would never replace my shaver.

Last edited:

View attachment 1540641

Final conclusion.

Philips:
- Silence

Panasonic:
- Less loud than Braun
- Less expensive
- Confortable even dry

Glad you found something that works well for you. Some of your experiences are similar to mine.

Brought out my Series 6 last night for comparison to the Series 7 360 that has been the current favorite. Series 6 has less power, more comfort, slightly more comfort, but the shave is not nearly as close.

Top Bottom