What's new

Swiss or Japanese?

I'm going to purchase another watch. I have small wrists. I need something in the ~37mm range. I'm looking in approximately the $500 range.

Lume isn't too important as I'm looking for something semi dressy that I can wear almost all the time (I already have a Bernhardt BA so don't recommend that. The size is one of my 3 major problems with it, the other two being the "built in" end links and the lack of date.)

If I go Swiss, it will have to be grey market. Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic (had the 40mm and flipped it due to size), Mido Captain (or something like that), or a Christopher Ward.

Japanese pretty much opens up the Seiko SARB range (incredible looking and reviewed watches) and Orient Star watches.

Advice?

Go Japanese. Seikos and Orients are reliable without the "Swiss made" markup. I personally think Swiss watches are overpriced for what you get (on the low end, at least), but if you're sure that if you go Swiss you HAVE to go grey market, than that leaves your choice a simple one. Go Japanese and get the warranty.

That said, I'm surprised that $500 prices you out of a lot of watches. Prices must have increased in the few years since I was into watches.

For $500 I would get a Japanese watch. Japanese watches may not have the name that Swiss watches do, but they are every bit as high-quality.

Well... Looks like I have a solution. With a price tag of $320 and exactly zero negatives mentioned in reviews:

proxy.php

My Tissot PR50 Automatic has treated me well. I've got thin wrists and it looks quite good against them. It's 36mm and my model (there are other variations) mainly SS with gold trimmings. I find that it looks good with my plain gold wedding band too, which is why I ditched my old SS Seiko.

proxy.php

Tough choice. Your budget is enough to open up both options. I think that you do pay a premium for a Swiss made watch which is really paying money for no benefit unless you are getting into the high end watches where the Swiss own the market. I think that in your price range, this makes a Japanese watch a better proposition.

Bah went to order the Christopher Ward today and the price was $45 higher than the same time last night!

I placed the order because the looks and reviews blew me away (and $390 shipped is still a great price for a watch with a 60 day return policy and a 5 year warranty, not to mention their complete transparency on sourcing parts), but I did send an email to ask about the sudden drastic price increase.

Thanks Pete!

I actually settled on the silver face rather than the cream as I feel it is a little more versatile (this watch will be on mesh at some point). I would say there is a strong chance of me picking up the cream or black in the future though if the quality lives up to what Watchuseek and Timezone reviews would have you believe.

They recently had a sale going on so it probably ended when you ordered.

I have a Trident GMT and the talk on the sites is quite correct. It's one heck of a watch for the money.

Sorry about the price increase Drew. I have a C5 Aviator, and I love it. Great quality, original look, Swiss made. I think you will love it. I am interested to see the C5 on mesh. I don't like it on the CW bracelet, so I'm not too sure about the mesh. To me it's a leather strap watch. Please post some pics and your impressions when you receive it.

3 questions that you have ask yourself, does it keep time, does it hold up under wear and tear and do I like the style. Anything else is trivial.

3 questions that you have ask yourself, does it keep time, does it hold up under wear and tear and do I like the style. Anything else is trivial.

I dare you to go to the Rolex Watch Forum at the big watch site and post that. You will be mangled to pieces-har har.

I dare you to go to the Rolex Watch Forum at the big watch site and post that. You will be mangled to pieces-har har.

That's the problem, you are looking in the Rolex forum. Go to the main forum at Watchuseek and say it and 4/5 people will agree...

Rolex owners only ask one question: Will it be obvious to everyone within 6 feet of me that I'm wearing a Rolex? (present company excluded of course)

Never buy new when you're dealing with less than two thousand. Your money just doesn't go nearly as far...

I'd return the Christopher Ward. It's a nice watch, but you can do far better with $500. You're looking for a smaller watch, so you have a bit of an advantage, as smaller watches aren't so popular right now... There are some fantastic deals on "mid-size" versions of true luxury watches to be found on eBay or the forums.

My advice is to check out the mid-sized Omegas on eBay... There are great-condition used Seamaster Professionals that end up going for around $500- get a $50 polish and the watch will look new. Far, far superior timepiece to the Ward...

Last edited:
Top Bottom