Swirls, Dabs or Strokes

Please select the manner in which you put your shaving soap on your face

• Swirls

• Strokes - like a paintbrush

• Dabs

• Other - but still with a brush

• I use canned goo or something else without a brush

Results are only viewable after voting.
Recently, I have been watching MASH, the TV show from the 1970s set in the 1950s. In the show, you frequently see Hawkeye, Trapper, Frank and Henry shaving, or more frequently brushing on shave soap. These are guys (the actors, not the characters) who would have actually been shaving for some time prior to the disposable razor fad. To a man, they seem to use brush strokes when applying their soap. I prefer to use a swirling motion. I am just curious what is most common here.

I can't really answer the poll, maybe "other". I face-lather so I swirl all over to soften stubble and distribute the lather and then finish with paint strokes to even out the lather before the first pass. Successive passes are essentially just paint strokes.

^^ I also had to go with "other", and for the same reason.

I begin with a swirling motion to lift the beard/exfoliate, and then switch to the painting strokes for an even, thicker "second coat". Sometimes, if I need more lather, I squeeze out the brush, place the lather back at the top of the bristles, and keep going. Some spots even get a dab patted on by hand.

Painting strokes, almost exclusively, but I am a bowl latherer.

I don't really believe in the idea that swirling the brush on your face is going to lift the hairs and make them easier to cut. My beard hairs are way too stiff for the brush hairs to do anything to their orientation.

I can't really answer the poll, maybe "other". I face-lather so I swirl all over to soften stubble and distribute the lather and then finish with paint strokes to even out the lather before the first pass. Successive passes are essentially just paint strokes.

I didn't vote for the same reason.

Me too.

Exactly what I do. Swirl to work up a lather, then paint strokes to get it all where I want it. Second pass is just paint strokes only as the lather is already complete.

i do a combination of swirls and strokes. i find that the swirling motion helps to get all my whiskers covered but it doesnt leave a lot of lather on my face so i paint on some more before i begin shaving.

before i got into traditional shaving i used a brush and soap off and on for years, and i always painted on the lather, i never thought to swirl, untill i tried face lathering. now i use a hybrid.

I'm a painter. Multi direction so I go ATG everywhere. So as to lift hairs Simpson brushes actually forbid swirling. I'm a scuttle man if that actually matters.

Top Bottom