What's new

Sweetietodds true (and slightly humorous) shave journal

No names events or places have been changed to protect the innocent....this will be my straight razor journey.
Today is day one. Well my razor is in the mail (thank you mark :thumbup:) so I've stolen borrowed one of my fiancé's "practice straights" and I'm learning how to strop properly and not scream every time I open the thing. To say I don't want to burst into song about meat pies and shaves would be wrong but I'm resisting. Luckily he as a practice strop if I screw it up horribly. I'm going to watch a whole butch of videos today as well and once my razor gets here I think I'm just gunna do it....just grab that bull by the horns, put that rocket of cold harden steel death next to my skin and just do it. So if there is no second post I pif my stuff evenly amongst y'all, it was nice knowing you all, and you all have been terribly kind. If you get a second post, I'm sure it will be a dousey.
View attachment 447187
End of day one: strop + straight....good stress management. Think I have that down better. Now to await my razor

Last edited:
$I-am-monitoring-this-thread.jpg

ST,
Here's a pic of what you're getting and the old arkie that gave it the last couple hundred laps. As they say up North, it's wicked sharp. Got solid HHT's with both root in and root out. Our collective experience on the board, however, is that new shavers can very quickly dull an edge so when that happens, just send it back to me and I'll hone it up. Or, if someone with real coti skills is so inclined, will step up and let you see what a coti edge feels like.

$photo-3.jpg

First of all, apologies for the upside down photo. Something hinky is going on as every photo I've uploaded this weekend shows up this way. The simple solution is to hold your monitor, laptop, tablet or phone upside down. That'll be quicker than any resolution I can come up with.

So that you know for the future, ST, the razor was honed without tape. This is important in case you wish to re-hone yourself or have another person do it. The edge was done on a Japanese natural stone progression (it already had a bevel). After the arkie, it got 100cotton/100leather on a TM strop. When you get it, there's no oil on the blade because I didn't want you worrying about wiping it off and interfering with the edge. You don't need to strop it when it arrives, just shave with it. I do recommend 10-20 laps afterward on cotton or linen or leather to get the last bits of moisture off the edge.

My lawyer asked me to include the following:

This razor is not intended for human use. Any use involving humans immediately voids the non-existent warranty and absolves the previous owner of any liability, blame, financial responsibility or moral accusation. Past BBS results are no indication of any future results. Use of this product may result in dizziness, nausea, trembling, weepers, incredibly sexy scars and a sense of superiority. This item is not now nor has it ever been intended for use with cats. In the event that a cat is shorn with this item, Article 24 of the Federal Statute on Cat Care requires that a full video of said shearing be placed permanently in a youtube repository and that a still photo with the caption "I haz strate razor" become an internet meme.

Good night and good luck.

My lawyer asked me to include the following:

This razor is not intended for human use. Any use involving humans immediately voids the non-existent warranty and absolves the previous owner of any liability, blame, financial responsibility or moral accusation. Past BBS results are no indication of any future results. Use of this product may result in dizziness, nausea, trembling, weepers, incredibly sexy scars and a sense of superiority. This item is not now nor has it ever been intended for use with cats. In the event that a cat is shorn with this item, Article 24 of the Federal Statute on Cat Care requires that a full video of said shearing be placed permanently in a youtube repository and that a still photo with the caption "I haz strate razor" become an internet meme.

Good night and good luck.
Well I'm certainly glad he overed all that I was going to ask why I was feeling suddenly superior......
As for the cats...
$shocked-cat-o_thumb.gif

once my razor gets here I think I'm just gunna do it....just grab that bull by the horns, put that rocket of cold harden steel death next to my skin and just do it.

You will succeed! In my humble, newbie opinion that approach is the key to success! :thumbsup:
Hesitation = not cutting hair and possibly cutting skin. Remember to start with the blade off the skin and use a nice flat angle and you'll do great.

Also, please include in your post how you feel about the blind spots as that was my GF's key concern with using a straight. Maybe your trailblazing will convince her to give it another go... :w00t:

After you get straight razors under control for a perfect shave, you have broken bottles and sharp rocks to master.

It's a never ending journey..... :yesnod:

So that's who bought the other one... I look forward to your progress. I am jumping back on the straight wagon for a while when I get my two from Mark.
I may or may not be derailed by GEMini, but probably not as derailed as this thread will be as soon as Auggie wakes up.

once my razor gets here I think I'm just gunna do it....just grab that bull by the horns, put that rocket of cold harden steel death next to my skin and just do it. So if there is no second post I pif my stuff evenly amongst y'all, it was nice knowing you all, and you all have been terribly kind. If you get a second post, I'm sure it will be a dousey.

Good luck with the straight.

I have been lurking on this thread thinking of trying a straight. I enjoy my DE and SE razors, even have a shavette from the 1990's which I used.

Have been looking at the starter sets from Classic Edge Shaving.

Do you have a supply of Lilac Vegetal to use afterwards?

"Also, please include in your post how you feel about the blind spots as that was my GF's key concern with using a straight. Maybe your trailblazing will convince her to give it another go... :w00t:"

This is the big question but it has not been answered.
Placing the blade in contact with my face without seeing what I am about to lop off is my major concern.

SOS ! HELP ! MAY DAY ! Mickey

"Also, please include in your post how you feel about the blind spots as that was my GF's key concern with using a straight. Maybe your trailblazing will convince her to give it another go... :w00t:"

This is the big question but it has not been answered.
Placing the blade in contact with my face without seeing what I am about to lop off is my major concern.

SOS ! HELP ! MAY DAY ! Mickey

For me, I shave somewhat blind on the back of my jawbone under my ears and I actually have only nicked myself once on one side there. But that's one little spot, clearly not the same as a whole back of a leg.

Good luck with the straight.

I have been lurking on this thread thinking of trying a straight. I enjoy my DE and SE razors, even have a shavette from the 1990's which I used.

Have been looking at the starter sets from Classic Edge Shaving.

Do you have a supply of Lilac Vegetal to use afterwards?
as high goddess of the secret rite of the veg I have an endless supply, but in my daily life my fiancé DESPISES the scent of the "unholy urinal puck" so I'm unsure what to do.....I really want some in a nice decanter

This thread may help you with an alternate idea for how to grip a straight for shaving with. Not convinced it works well for a guy on their own face, but for shaving someone else or ones own legs, it looks like it gives a really nice amount of control...

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...their-straight-a-little-quot-differently-quot
was JUST DISCUSSING thus with the M.I.C. before I saw this thread..wild:lol:

as high goddess of the secret rite of the veg I have an endless supply, but in my daily life my fiancé DESPISES the scent of the "unholy urinal puck" so I'm unsure what to do.....I really want some in a nice decanter

You may want to give Master Lilac Vegetol a shot before you toss in the towel for your SO.

It has the same/similar French Lilac scent but it is not as.... err..... rest stop... strong scented

proxy.php

Top Bottom