What's new

Sweet, Unexpected Find -- Mark Cross Razor

This was a blast I have to say. In my NOS Mark Cross I used my usual Schick Proline injector blade, in my well used one half a Supermax BDT DE blade. The latter required two half blades used as shims to fully secure the blade. While I've used the injector blade often, this was a first using a DE blade. It was a very pleasant surprise. The exposed blade tabs didn't bother and the shave was smooth if noisy and extremely close. Even with the two shims the Proline has the edge in rigidity which evidenced itself going ATG on my head with greater ease than the DE blade. It was also able to clean up a wee bit of stubble the Supermax missed on first pass. So I still give the edge to the Proline but in a pinch the DE hack works brilliantly indeed.

proxy.php

I had a Christy at one time but I don't know where it is now. Never actually shaved with it. I think it only takes proprietary blades.

Nice-looking razors. Thanks for sharing your experiences and your pictures.

This was a blast I have to say. In my NOS Mark Cross I used my usual Schick Proline injector blade, in my well used one half a Supermax BDT DE blade. The latter required two half blades used as shims to fully secure the blade. While I've used the injector blade often, this was a first using a DE blade. It was a very pleasant surprise. The exposed blade tabs didn't bother and the shave was smooth if noisy and extremely close. Even with the two shims the Proline has the edge in rigidity which evidenced itself going ATG on my head with greater ease than the DE blade. It was also able to clean up a wee bit of stubble the Supermax missed on first pass. So I still give the edge to the Proline but in a pinch the DE hack works brilliantly indeed.

proxy.php
I see from the photo that you have two MC's. Have not yet tried an SE blade but I'm having wonderful luck with the broken DE. In fact, that's one of the things I love about this razor -- not having to invest in overpriced blades. When lined up, one half shims the other but also serves as a second blade right behind the first. So one gets the Atra effect with all the benefits of traditional shaving. Perhaps that's partly why the shaves I'm getting are super close and super smooth. Another great shave this morning. Each day, my appreciation for this razor grows.

I see from the photo that you have two MC's. Have not yet tried an SE blade but I'm having wonderful luck with the broken DE. In fact, that's one of the things I love about this razor -- not having to invest in overpriced blades. When lined up, one half shims the other but also serves as a second blade right behind the first. So one gets the Atra effect with all the benefits of traditional shaving. Perhaps that's partly why the shaves I'm getting are super close and super smooth. Another great shave this morning. Each day, my appreciation for this razor grows.
Yes. I didn't attempt to align two edges, I will next time. I know from the Shake Sharp it can do wonders.

My tribute to this razor in song
(Sung to the tune of "My Little Duece Coupe")

Little Mark Cross
You don't know what I got
Little Mark Cross

Well I'm not braggin' babe so don't put me down
But I've got the best whisker scraper in town
Cause when I want a razor that’s aggressive and smooth
This one dusts the Wolfman and you know it’s the truth
She's my little Mark Cross
(My little Mark Cross)
(You don't know what I got)

Just a little Mark Cross with compression blade hold
And in her shadow all other razors must fold
She's triple silver plated over buck-solid brass
She’ll wipe away the whiskers on your face or your ***
(My little Mark Cross)

She's easy to maneuver cause she’s nimble and neat
She chatters like a squirrel so hold onto your seat
If that ain't enough to make you put down your straight
Back away from the keyboard cause your brain’s scrambled, mate

(My little Mark Cross)

(My little Mark Cross)

Today I've got three precious days of beard growth so I'm taking the opportunity to run the Mark Cross head to head against my Charcoal Goods Level 3 -- SB. The CGL3 has been my favorite razor, loved for its combination of smoothness, blade feel, efficiency and the artistry that went into creating this gorgeous razor. The Mark Cross has been an unexpected find which has impressed in each of those categories as well. Will shave in a bit and report back when I have time.

Last night, loading the razors, I had to admit that getting the Mark Cross loaded can be a challenge. Cracking an Astra in half is no big deal but the bending left a small lip on one of the halves. Didn't happen last time; not sure why it happened this time -- but the added width due to that lip made it hard to fit the blade into the available space. One has to carefully align the blades (one slightly behind the other to get the Atra-like 2-blade setup). And then one must choose how far forward to pull the blade, keeping it even on both sides. Not a huge ordeal but it took me a good five minutes. The CGL3, like pretty much all razors, loads effortlessly. The CGL3 also holds the blade precisely. It's machined to very fine tolerances, the result of which is one gets perfect alignment every time.

On the other hand, the CGL3 is not adjustable. One chooses one of three levels of aggression (1, 2 or 3 -- mild, moderate or aggressive) and that's what one has. The Mark Cross can be adjusted from super mild to super aggressive. Until now these razors have not run back-to-back but my impression has been that the Mark Cross at its most aggressive is more so than the CLG3. Today I'll have a chance to test that hypothesis.

Had a chance to run those razors. If anyone's interested in reading what I found, write something. Otherwise I'll assume there's no interest and let this thread die.

Thanks JM. Glad someone's reading.

Both razors mowed down three days of beard growth as if it wasn't there. The Mark Cross shined in that, with heavy whiskers, there was more blade feel. If this razor has a weakness in my book, that's it. Otherwise, it's incredibly smooth and efficient. Makes me think of a tug boat. You know how a little tiny boat can be super powerful, enough to move ocean liners out of port? This tiny little razor shaves as well as anything I've ever tried.

I prefer the overall heft and feel of the CGL3. Diminutive razors aren't as much my thing, although the Mark Cross is so small I like it quite a lot. I mean, I didn't know I could like a small razor so much. It's so small, light and nimble that there's a cuteness that makes it compelling. At the same time, it's really well made. That's part of its charm too. Both razors are works of art, though in very different ways.

I find the Mark Cross both smoother and more aggressive than the CGL3. Who woulda thunk it? But there was no question. Loaded with the two blades stacked, one slightly behind the other, set just behind the SB, it's remarkable.

The shave quality from the Mark Cross was amazing. No cotton catching on my face. None. Got to the same place on the other side but it took more effort with the CGL3. Pretty much just three passes with the Mark Cross. A bit of touch up in spots I'd missed but those were my mistakes. With the CGL3, I had to keep going over challenging places, trying to attain the perfect blade angle and applying a bit of pressure. Wasn't necessary. The CGL3 shave was great before touch up. But to take it to the elite status reached by the Mark Cross required some effort. Not an enormous effort but not insignificant either. Had I not taken the time, the cotton test would have revealed some whiskers.

14 hours later there's a bit of whiskers on both sides. More on the CLG3 side. The Mark Cross side is still good enough to stand with the best of fresh shaves. The CGL3 is way more than passable. No one would notice a shadow. But when I pass my fingers over the skin, I can feel whisker growth.

Overall, I can't say I like one more than the other. I can say these are my two favorite razors. I'd call them both grails. No other razor comes close though I still love my Ikon Tech enormously and I have very fond memories of James' Wolfman WR1 .94 SB.

Those four comprise my pantheon of truly elite razors. There are some SEs that would be in that group too if not for the fact that they require special blades. If I could get by breaking DE blades in half with the RX or the SE2, they'd be right up there.

I'm back almost two years after posting that last message. Have barely been here in two years. The CGL3 has been sitting in a drawer for two years. I use the Mark Cross every day and I still adore it. For me, a true grail.

Perhaps in time I'll feel differently. Shaved with a Futur set to six for about six years and then, suddenly, it was no more. Razor mania returned. Until I settled on the Mark Cross. Perhaps one day I'll more on again. One never knows.

Odd, to go from a Futur as one's grail, this big clunky thing, to a nimble little Mark Cross. Who'd a thunk it? Certainly not me.

I'm back almost two years after posting that last message. Have barely been here in two years. The CGL3 has been sitting in a drawer for two years. I use the Mark Cross every day and I still adore it. For me, a true grail.

Perhaps in time I'll feel differently. Shaved with a Futur set to six for about six years and then, suddenly, it was no more. Razor mania returned. Until I settled on the Mark Cross. Perhaps one day I'll more on again. One never knows.

Odd, to go from a Futur as one's grail, this big clunky thing, to a nimble little Mark Cross. Who'd a thunk it? Certainly not me.
Glad you're still loving it. I bought a Mark Cross (probably because of this thread) a couple of years ago, but never got remarkable shaves from it. I'm sure it had to do with blade placement, but they always seemed very mild.

great thread and i'd like to thank bobmsp for letting me have his Mark Cross razor
a fantastic shave. I have a cobra classic and have been looking for a comparable for ages and have tried nearly every SE available and this for my face is as good as if not better than it
I might well have to get it re-plated if possible
thanks all

Mark Cross with twin BIC blades. I usually use an injector blade with the MC but the shave with the twin BICs is superb, just requires a few easy blade snaps.
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Top Bottom