What's new

Sweet, Unexpected Find -- Mark Cross Razor

Was visiting Seattle the other day when I spotted a little antique store just minutes from closing. Went inside and scouted around for razors. Spotted this pretty little thing:
20190401_085941.jpg
20190401_090003.jpg

A quick cell phone search revealed it's a Mark Cross razor, manufactured in 1912 and into 1913. Was sold only in 1913 as a loss leader at 25 cents together with blades at 5 cents with a plan to eventually make it up by selling blades at full price. Unfortunately the second part of the equation never came to fruition and the razor was soon discontinued.

Appeared to be very nimble and well made. A real beauty too. The insert stated it's triple plated in silver and it looks it. Probably plated over brass as, despite it's demur size, has a nice weight.

The seller was willing to accept $20 inclusive of tax. Receipt shows something like $18.12 plus tax. Looked like it would be a super mild razor -- in other words, not my thing. But it was so cute and pretty and the price seemed fair so I took a chance. Really glad I did.

That night, I took one of the blades I'd taken on the trip, a Dorco 301, and broke it down the middle by folding it over itself. Here's a photo from this morning when I did the same with an Astra.
20190401_090242.jpg

This is the result:
20190401_090338.jpg

Took the two halves and loaded them into the razor. A little pressure on a tab made room for them to slip in and then, once released, basic compression held the blade firm.

At first I loaded the blades all the way toward the back. The result was a supremely mild, nimble and smooth shave. Great if that's what you're into but not my cup of tea.
20190401_090448.jpg

Figured "oh well." Not a big deal. Nice PIF to someone who likes that sort of razor. But then it occurred to me that I might be able to slide the blades forward. So I tried. First a little and then a little more. The razor went from mild to moderate to aggressive.

Here it is with the blades full forward:
20190401_090725.jpg

Notice it's also a double blade, like an antique Atra. Loaded in this way, it's a very aggressive shave!

Since I was out of town and only had the Dorco, I left it at that. Today, I loaded the Astra (seen in the photos above). Then I ran the razor straight up against my Ikon Tech, also loaded with an Astra.

The result was astounding. I'd rate the Ikon Tech at 10 for strong blade feel. My CGL3 is down several notches -- maybe a 6.5. This razor is maybe 4.5. Not as high as I typically like but with focus I was able to get good feedback.

Where it shines is in two other attributes. The Ikon Tech rates maybe a 7.0 for smoothness. It's smooth when used carefully, preferably with heavy whiskers. This thing rates a 10, same as the CGL3. In terms of efficiency, this little thing stood toe to toe with the mighty Ikon and delivered a fantastic shave. In this category I'd give both a 10, whereas the CGL3 rates maybe a 9.5. Same for the Wolfman WR1 .94, which for me performs almost exactly the same as the CGL3 in all categories.

Going to have to run this again to confirm. Make sure I wasn't on drugs this morning. But at this point, all I can say is "WOWZERS!" It's possible that this little thing, almost unheard of for 100 years, picked up for next to nothing, has rocketed to the top of my den. I'm not going to say I like it more than my CGL3, which is truly a work of art and amazing to use. I am going to say it could be tied, as it too is beautiful, more nimble than any other razor in my den, and a top performer.

Will continue to shave with it a bunch more and continue to report back. If it really is as good as it seemed this morning, it's an unbelievable bargain.

Little thing is in nice condition. The only wear is on the top of the handle and outside of the box. Haven't even attempted to clean it up yet. Must have sat in a drawer for many decades. Across entire generations, no doubt under several owners. Here's some of the fun literature that came with this razor:
20190401_090024.jpg

20190401_090100.jpg
20190401_090035.jpg

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
You know, maybe should've posted it in the SE forum. Kinda neat though.

Was visiting Seattle the other day when I spotted a little antique store just minutes from closing. Went inside and scouted around for razors. Spotted this pretty little thing:
View attachment 968573 View attachment 968575
A quick cell phone search revealed it's a Mark Cross razor, manufactured in 1912 and into 1913. Was sold only in 1913 as a loss leader at 25 cents together with blades at 5 cents with a plan to eventually make it up by selling blades at full price. Unfortunately the second part of the equation never came to fruition and the razor was soon discontinued.

Appeared to be very nimble and well made. A real beauty too. The insert stated it's triple plated in silver and it looks it. Probably plated over brass as, despite it's demur size, has a nice weight.

The seller was willing to accept $20 inclusive of tax. Receipt shows something like $18.12 plus tax. Looked like it would be a super mild razor -- in other words, not my thing. But it was so cute and pretty and the price seemed fair so I took a chance. Really glad I did.

That night, I took one of the blades I'd taken on the trip, a Dorco 301, and broke it down the middle by folding it over itself. Here's a photo from this morning when I did the same with an Astra. View attachment 968578
This is the result:
View attachment 968579
Took the two halves and loaded them into the razor. A little pressure on a tab made room for them to slip in and then, once released, basic compression held the blade firm.

At first I loaded the blades all the way toward the back. The result was a supremely mild, nimble and smooth shave. Great if that's what you're into but not my cup of tea.
View attachment 968581
Figured "oh well." Not a big deal. Nice PIF to someone who likes that sort of razor. But then it occurred to me that I might be able to slide the blades forward. So I tried. First a little and then a little more. The razor went from mild to moderate to aggressive.

View attachment 968582
Notice it's also a double blade, like an antique Atra. Loaded in this way, it's a very aggressive shave!

Since I was out of town and only had the Dorco, I left it at that. Today, I loaded the Astra (seen in the photos above). Then I ran the razor straight up against my Ikon Tech, also loaded with an Astra.

The result was astounding. I'd rate the Ikon Tech at 10 for strong blade feel. My CGL3 is down several notches -- maybe a 6.5. This razor is maybe 4.5. Not as high as I typically like but with focus I was able to get good feedback.

Where it shines is in two other attributes. The Ikon Tech rates maybe a 7.0 for smoothness. It's smooth when used carefully, preferably with heavy whiskers. This thing rates a 10, same as the CGL3. In terms of efficiency, this little thing stood toe to toe with the mighty Ikon and delivered a fantastic shave. In this category I'd give both a 10, whereas the CGL3 rates maybe a 9.5. Same for the Wolfman WR1 .94, which for me performs almost exactly the same as the CGL3 in all categories.

Going to have to run this again to confirm. Make sure I wasn't on drugs this morning. But at this point, all I can say is "WOWZERS!" It's possible that this little thing, almost unheard of for 100 years, picked up for next to nothing, has rocketed to the top of my den. I'm not going to say I like it more than my CGL3, which is truly a work of art and amazing to use. I am going to say it could be tied, as it too is beautiful, more nimble than any other razor in my den, and a top performer.

Will continue to shave with it a bunch more and continue to report back. If it really is as good as it seemed this morning, it's an unbelievable bargain.

Little thing is in nice condition. The only wear is on the top of the handle and outside of the box. Haven't even attempted to clean it up yet. Must have sat in a drawer for many decades. Across entire generations, no doubt under several owners. Here's some of the fun literature that came with this razor:
View attachment 968591
View attachment 968588 View attachment 968589

Wow what an amazing find!

View attachment 968573 View attachment 968575

That night, I took one of the blades I'd taken on the trip, a Dorco 301, and broke it down the middle by folding it over itself. Here's a photo from this morning when I did the same with an Astra. View attachment 968578
This is the result:
View attachment 968579

View attachment 968581

View attachment 968582

View attachment 968591
View attachment 968588 View attachment 968589
The bulk of the research on the Mark Cross was done by me. Glad you found one. I use mine with injector blades with great success. It's a 1913 Vector basically.

The only issue with scooping these up willy nilly is that non NOS ones are often bent and lose clamping pressure. It's that clamping pressure that distinguishes it from the Christy razors it otherwise resembles and makes it possible to use injector blades.

There's a fullsome discussion on another forum.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
It's a 1913 Vector basically.
Not bad when one can pick up essentially the equivalent of a $200 razor (tax and shipping inclusive) for $20 at a second hand store. Plus it's more nimble than a Vector. The Vector is sleek but the head on this thing is positively tiny.

Not bad when one can pick up essentially the equivalent of a $200 razor (tax and shipping inclusive) for $20 at a second hand store. Plus it's more nimble than a Vector. The Vector is sleek but the head on this thing is positively tiny.
I agree. I have a Schick Proline in mine now and it shaves as well as anything I've got.

proxy.php

Last edited:
1913 WOW! It looks beautiful & Classy! indeed something I'll be looking for next time I'm passing by an antique store :)

Thanks all. I like it so much, I'll be looking for more to share with others. Remarkable that it's one of my favorite razors but, unlike others, it's not only for those who like super aggressive shaving. It's essentially an adjustable, albeit not with a big clunky head. In fact very much the opposite. An elegant diminutive razor that's more maneuverable than anything else I've ever encountered. Frank (@Dragonsbeard) has got to try one of these, as much as he enjoyed my Le Coq Caged Head. I'll be bringing it on an upcoming outing with Scott (@pbrmhl) and a couple of other fellas so they can try it if they want to. Will bring some spare blades too so everyone can break his own Astra and give it a whirl.

I can't believe it myself. Yesterday I was wondering if it was a trick of the mind. Today I pulled the blade all the way forward, to just off the blade guard, and it gave the most perfect shave I've ever had. Super close like the Ikon Tech but super comfortable like the CGL3 SB and the WR1 .94 SB. Until now, those last two were the best razors I've ever used. Now I'd say it's a triumvirate.

Another benefit of pulling the blade forward is it felt more "blade forward." Still moderate in that department, but a good 5.0 or 5.5 out of 10. I'm thinking this razor might top out at 6 in blade feel with another small tweak. The thing about blade feel, though, is that more isn't always better. One needs enough to get good feedback and this morning I got it. I could feel the blade but it was super smooth. 10.0 in that department and in terms of aggression. Perhaps the double blade that results from inserting the two broken blade halves has something to do with the incredible shave quality. Super close and super smooth but with all the control of traditional shaving.

This razor is super maneuverable and gorgeous. If there's any downside, it would only be the concern raised by @jmudrick around potentially losing the compression needed to hold the blade firmly if the razor gets damaged. Perhaps over time the metal may fatigue too. Probably not from age alone given that we're already past 100 but perhaps with repeated usage. I guess loading the blade requires a certain willingness to engage as if it were a violin rather than a guitar. One has to find the right spot by eye and feel. Not a problem for me but some may feel challenged.

Otherwise, I can't find a single thing not to love. And to think it's an adjustable too.

I can't believe it myself. Yesterday I was wondering if it was a trick of the mind. Today I pulled the blade all the way forward, to just off the blade guard, and it gave the most perfect shave I've ever had. Super close like the Ikon Tech but super comfortable like the CGL3 SB and the WR1 .94 SB. Until now, those last two were the best razors I've ever used. Now I'd say it's a triumvirate.

Another benefit of pulling the blade forward is it felt more "blade forward." Still moderate in that department, but a good 5.0 or 5.5 out of 10. I'm thinking this razor might top out at 6 in blade feel with another small tweak. The thing about blade feel, though, is that more isn't always better. One needs enough to get good feedback and this morning I got it. I could feel the blade but it was super smooth. 10.0 in that department and in terms of aggression. Perhaps the double blade that results from inserting the two broken blade halves has something to do with the incredible shave quality. Super close and super smooth but with all the control of traditional shaving.

This razor is super maneuverable and gorgeous. If there's any downside, it would only be the concern raised by @jmudrick around potentially losing the compression needed to hold the blade firmly if the razor gets damaged. Perhaps over time the metal may fatigue too. Probably not from age alone given that we're already past 100 but perhaps with repeated usage. I guess loading the blade requires a certain willingness to engage as if it were a violin rather than a guitar. One has to find the right spot by eye and feel. Not a problem for me but some may feel challenged.

Otherwise, I can't find a single thing not to love. And to think it's an adjustable too.
Double blading increases rigidity at perhaps some minor hit in comfort. It's a trick I use in the Shake Sharp which transforms it into my favorite DE equipped shaver. An injector of course has that rigidity inherently.

I'll bring out my Prolined Mark Cross tomorrow and join the party. I encourage people to check out what I wrote about the Mark Cross development on that other US based forum.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Congratulations on your find. The Mark Cross and the Fremont, Ohio made Christy remind me of each other.
They do look similar. Said to be a mild shaver but that was said of the Mark Cross too. Move the blade forward and it turns into a little monster.

Double blading increases rigidity at perhaps some minor hit in comfort. It's a trick I use in the Shake Sharp which transforms it into my favorite DE equipped shaver. An injector of course has that rigidity inherently.

I'll bring out my Prolined Mark Cross tomorrow and join the party. I encourage people to check out what I wrote about the Mark Cross development on that other US based forum.

proxy.php

proxy.php
What does "Prolined Mark Cross" mean?

Top Bottom