What's new

Sweet Muhle

Gentlemen,

I had promised myself to say a few words about the Muhle 89R. I had enough razors already, for heaven's sake, but my neurosis got the best of me, and thus my new Muhle 89R.

This razor, as I am sure you know, is identical to the Edwin Jagger 89L, except for the design of the handle, and the EJ is a hint heavier. Muhle's weight and balance are perfect. Workmanship is impeccable. And shave? Ah yes, the shave is sweet.

I like the size of the razor, too, especially since I am a small guy with small hands — hey, listen, the great Beethoven was small, too, but he did okay by writing some great tunes.

I believe this razor is a must for gentlemen who welcome a sweet shave. A sweet razor for a sweet shave — that works.

Obelit

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Muhle makes a quality product, I agree. From your description, I would guess you have the new R89 model, not the old one...

Hello, Luc,

Yes, I do have the new Muhle head.

I can't say I love the Muhle more than my other razors. Nor would I want to say that about each individual razor in my modest collection. I love them all. Each razor has its own personality and I enjoy it for what it is.

There is one exception, however, and that is the Merkur 34C. As you know, this is one of best razors made. For some reason, though, it has not grown on me. I have owned it less than six months, but it has failed to become a part of me, as have my other razors.

I might put it up for sale. I know many gentlemen shavers lover that little razor. For some reason I am not one of them.

But back to the Muhle. Yes, we get along swimmingly.

Obelit

Hello, Luc,

Yes, I do have the new Muhle head.

I can't say I love the Muhle more than my other razors. Nor would I want to say that about each individual razor in my modest collection. I love them all. Each razor has its own personality and I enjoy it for what it is.

There is one exception, however, and that is the Merkur 34C. As you know, this is one of best razors made. For some reason, though, it has not grown on me. I have owned it less than six months, but it has failed to become a part of me, as have my other razors.

I might put it up for sale. I know many gentlemen shavers lover that little razor. For some reason I am not one of them.

But back to the Muhle. Yes, we get along swimmingly.

Obelit

Could you tell me a bit more about the difference in the shave between the 34C and the R89?

Gentlemen,

Eelco's presentation — the Muhle razor, slick brushes, shave cream — is quite an attractive picture. It's enough to make me want to frame the picture.

Also, the Edwin Jagger light horn Chatsworth is a beautiful razor, I agree. That second photo is worth framing, too, I must say.

Well done, Eelco: good choice of products, great razors, and professional presentation. Congratulations, my good man.

Obelit

Another new-Mühle fan; I love their new R-41 (with merkur open comb head)even more than the R-89. Too bad Merkur can't make a razor this good with their own head!

Gentlemen,

Josuha's inquiry to compare the Merkur 34C and the Muhle 89R, in reference to my discomfort with my 34C, is interesting.

I cannot offer a concrete conclusion on the subject, Joshua. I love the 89R. I continue to grow more uncomfortable with the 34C. I believe both razors are mildly aggressive, but perhaps the 34C a bit more.

I am no authority on razors, of course; there are gentlemen on this forum far more knowledgeable on the subject than I. My growing discomfort with the 34C is probably more personal and anything else.

Although I have small hands, the 34C's small size for some reason seems uncomfortable for me. Now, I have the Merkur travel razor, which is about the same size when fully assembled, and I have no problem with that.

Also, the 34C loses some of its smoothness because of the way it sits in my hand. As a rule, I hold my razors at about a 30-degree angle, which is the standard angle to hold razors. No matter how I hold the 34C it seems uncomfortable.

So yes, indeed, the case against the Merkur 34C is more personal for me than anything else.

Obelit

If Muhle made an exact replica of the 34c but to their own high stds, I honestly feel I'd be happy to sell everything else and use only it with Astras, a Men-U brush and MWF.

According to the Fendrihan's site, both these razors have exactly the same dimensions and weight (2.2 oz), yet several reviewers have mentioned the R89 handle is very light, yet none of the comments I have seen re the EJ mention this, rather saying the balance is excellent. So I'm wondering why these comments should be different if the weight is the same and they use the same head, the handle weight is obviously the same for both razors

Chris

Gentlemen,

Alas, at Bestgroomingtools.com, the Edwin Jagger 89L comes in at 2.5 oz. of weight. The Muhle 89R comes in at 2 oz. of weight.

That leads me to believe the EJ is just a breath lighter than its Muhle counterpart.

All of which, of course, is trivial when considering the two razors. I own both, and they both are gorgeous and worthy a fabulous shave.

Obelit

Gentlemen,

If I may correct the math in my previous post: EJ at 2.5 oz. is just a breath heavier than Muhle at 2 oz. and not the other way around.

Blame my creative math on an too many cups of tea.

Obelit

After using my Muhle R89 for a while now, I really don't know if I need any other razors...it is just that awesome. But maybe I need an EJ with the same head too...just for fun.

The R89 is beautiful and great to use.

J.

Only one shave but I'm loving it so far. This is my first non adjustable and lighter weight DE - I've always used a Vision or Futur which gave me excellent shaves but this Muhle has a flatter head contour that seems to fit my face much better than the big Merkurs particularly the neck right under the jaw line. Obviously it also makes it easier to work around the nose and detailed beard area which was always a bit of a problem with the Merkurs. I was a little concerned I wouldn't like a lighter razor so this was a very pleasant surprise. As others have said, the quality - fit and finish - is superb on this razor. Bottom line is that if it was just the flatter cheek area, the Merkurs are probably as good but this Muhle really shines as far as maneuverabilty is concerned and it is pretty to look at as well.

As far as blade changes go, no problem, it maybe takes 30 seconds instead of 10 seconds every 4 days - not a problem when you think of it like that

Chris

the head is perfect, my only problem with this razor is that the handle has that empty soda can feel to it, thats why im seriously considering a EJ, hows the weight it it?

Top Bottom