What's new

Sweeney Todd

Just watched it earlier today.

First: the movie is unbelievable. Absolutely amazing. Great, great movie.

Second: for those of you that are bothered by things like this, in most respects Johnny Depp did a very good job as a barber (some scenes he even very carefully examined the grain of the victim, er, client's beard before shaving him) - but he stropped the razors incorrectly. :wink: Other than that, he looked absolutely at home holding those blades.

I watched it yesterday it was pretty good. Tim Burton did an awesome job another stellar collaboration with Johnny Depp.

I didnt like however the gratuitous use of gore. We all know that Tim Burton has a skewed view on the world and we enjoy seeing the darker side of things. Every victim that was killed, their demise was displayed with blood every where. Granted when you actually do slit someones throat its going to be messy but in my opinion it was a bit much. But that being said you dont go to a Tim Burton movie expecting a Disney cartoon.

The end of the movie ended quite abruptly. I knew the plot of Sweeney Todd before seeing it and i wished they would have explained to the audience what happened with Anthony and Johanna.

It is a must see movie for the shaving enthusiast and it was very entertaining my wife went with me, she enjoyed it as well.

i am by far no expert at straight razor shaving, but i've seen and read enough to be somewhat educated... so...

it seemed to me from the commercials that he was holding the blade wrong in the scenes shown. am i incorrect?

The scenes that are getting used as publicity shots he's holding them incorrectly for shaving, but he's not preparing to shave anyone. He has just been re-united with his razors after 15 years and is saying "hello, old friend" to them.

Or "at last, my arm is complete again!" :biggrin:

I saw it yesterday and loved it. Much better than what I thought it would be.

I watched it yesterday it was pretty good. Tim Burton did an awesome job another stellar collaboration with Johnny Depp.

I didnt like however the gratuitous use of gore. We all know that Tim Burton has a skewed view on the world and we enjoy seeing the darker side of things. Every victim that was killed, their demise was displayed with blood every where. Granted when you actually do slit someones throat its going to be messy but in my opinion it was a bit much. But that being said you dont go to a Tim Burton movie expecting a Disney cartoon.

The end of the movie ended quite abruptly. I knew the plot of Sweeney Todd before seeing it and i wished they would have explained to the audience what happened with Anthony and Johanna.

It is a must see movie for the shaving enthusiast and it was very entertaining my wife went with me, she enjoyed it as well.

I think you're being a tad over the top with your spoiler - why is pointing out the movie is full of blood and gore a spoiler? It's a movie about a barber that slashes throats. Sure it's bloody and full of gore but the blood was obviously theatrical.

I saw it the other night and was disappointed. It may be my favorite musical, and I've seen it three times on stage (twice on Broadway, once years ago with the original cast and most recently an inspired interpretation that had, among other things, Patty Lupone lugging a tuba around the stage), and perhaps my expectations were too high. The music, sung by the right people, can be painfully beautiful. I thought some of the scenes in the movie were absolutely brilliant -- the cinematography of the ocean scene was striking -- but all in all I'll take Len Cariou and Angela Lansbury over Johnny and Helena any day.

I saw the movie last night it is a good movie I Would like too know if anyone can identify what kind of razors there are I know that they were square points maybe 8/8 I still green at identify razors if they was really or not they were nice.It would be nice too have a set.:cool:

I loved the movie.. Johnny Depp was excellent.. he never ceases to amaze me in the roles he chooses. I can't wait for the DVD...

Now.. time to switch my Safety Razor over to a Dovo Shavette......:death:
Up for some meat pies???
Cause I know a great place!!! :laugh:

I saw the movie tonight, really enjoyed it. I sat next to a friend who looked at me with the strangest look:
- You got to be kidding me when you tell me you will shave with a straight razor!

I just bought a straight and I was very happy to show it to him a few days ago.
I don't know if the movie will convince many people to switch to a straight.

I saw the movie last night it is a good movie I Would like too know if anyone can identify what kind of razors there are I know that they were square points maybe 8/8 I still green at identify razors if they was really or not they were nice.It would be nice too have a set.:cool:

They are actually not razors at all. They are movie props created specifically for this movie.

Just watched it earlier today.

First: the movie is unbelievable. Absolutely amazing. Great, great movie.

Second: for those of you that are bothered by things like this, in most respects Johnny Depp did a very good job as a barber (some scenes he even very carefully examined the grain of the victim, er, client's beard before shaving him) - but he stropped the razors incorrectly. :wink: Other than that, he looked absolutely at home holding those blades.

And it looked like he was using canned shaving cream. Tisk Tisk...

Saw this last Friday, and it was very good. As far as movie musicals, it doesn't compare to Moulin Rouge, but that's pretty tough to top imo. It was dark and very well done though.

My wife and I really enjoyed it. Interestingly for me, after the first throat was slashed, the shock value went down. But every time he dumped a body, I cringed at the way it landed.

Saw it just after Christmas. Thought it was pretty great, actually. The cinematography was dark and fantastic. Yes, the voices probably weren't as good as those you would see on broadway, but still, the music was good. Johnny Depp's characteristic intensity really worked well. Oh, and yeah, there was a LOT of blood. I actually don't fault it at all for that. Part of the overall cinematographic affect of the thing. Note that it looked more like bright red paint than real blood, for extra visual punch.

Anyway, I really liked it. Might have been biased by being on a fantastic date, though. But just a warning for those thinking about seeing it. It is DARK. So of you don't like really black humor, probably not gonna like it.

-Mo

I thought it was great too. Overall, I'd describe it as morbidly funny. Its a little bloody at times, but it is so over the top its not gross. I've never seen it on broadway, but I really enjoyed the songs. Definately one of my favorite movies of the year.

But every time he dumped a body, I cringed at the way it landed.
I must be messed up in the head. I laughed when the first body was dumped. I dont know why. Just the way it flopped or something.

Also on a side note, my girlfriend told me I'm never allowed to shave with a straight. :biggrin:

hahaha, I LOVED that movie.

And swmbo doesn't try to rush me while I'm shaving with my straight anymore.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

By the way, don't feel bad. The floppy bodies made me laugh too.

Top Bottom