What's new

Sweedish gillettes

Being new to the whole wet shaving thing, I find the vast array of products, and the mass of conflicting opinions they bring to be somewhat confusing, and I was hoping some of the more experienced wet shavers on here would be able to help clarify a few points for me. My first questions concern the swedish gillette blades; firstly, where can I get these blades in the UK? Secondly, I was wondering why people make the distinction and call these swedish gillettes, how are they different from the blades available in any other country (unless they are made in Sweden, in which case I just made myself look really stupid, huh?)
Thanks, AJS

Hi AJS -

Welcome to the board (and to the hobby, in general). I do believe that the blades are actually made in Sweden (Stockholm, if memory serves).

I've tried many of the "popular" blades and currently these are my favorites. They're a nice mix of "sharp, but not overly agressive." I was previously a Feather DE guy, but I always managed to get at least a touch of unintended irritation from them.

Here's where I got my Swedish Gillettes. It's in the UK, as well.

http://www.auravita.com/products/AURA/GILL12120.asp

The great (yet, bad :biggrin: ) thing about all of this is that you almost need to try everything for yourself!!

I can confirm the Swedish Gillettes are my favorite at the moment. they are so smooth so nice !!!!!!!!

I use , Israel Personna ,Derby Extra,Lord,Russian Gillettes,Swedish Gillettes,Feather.

forget about Hobby this is a Life style..your going for. :biggrin:

AJS,

what Howard says about the manufacture of the Swedish Gillettes is right. You can tell they're Swedish by the "Blue" packaging; those made in the US are "Red"

You'll soon become familiar with the terms YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) and TEHO (To Each His Own).

I've been using some Swedish Gillettes in a Merkur HD these last 2 weeks and have not been impressed; I much prefer Feather Hi-Stainless blades. Others however swear by the Gillettes.

The consensus is however that different blades work better in different razors. It's entirely possible the Swedish Gillettes will do me just fine in another razor, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Mess around with different combos. TEHO!

KUJO said:
AJS,

I've been using some Swedish Gillettes in a Merkur HD these last 2 weeks and have not been impressed; I much prefer Feather Hi-Stainless blades. Others however swear by the Gillettes.

Does the word "Caveman" hair mean anything to you ? :lol: :lol:

Serious im quite shocked that the Swedish dont cut if for you..:tongue_sm but
you might be right could be the razor but I doubt it would have big impact but I had the opposite experience I was expecting the way the S. Gillettes behave that would be Feathers,but instead I wasnt impressed upon feathers the first time I used it. BUT ! the second time I used it hence I got my payback time from Feather I nearly cut off my lip atleast a piece of it they are the SHARPEST things out there for sure I just wish they had the smoothness of the S. Gillettes. the combination of both would render me needing other blades if Feather and Gillette would work together to create a mix blend of the qualities of both. so Im trying a new thing 4 passes with S.Gill. and then touch up with Feather. but Ive also read people swear with a Vision Razor and Feathers is ultimate wet dream so could be the feather would operate better then in my Superspeed !

Top Bottom