What's new

swedish japanese?

i am interested in Japanese straight razor in general
i already own a few Swedish made razors
Many Japanese razors are made with Swedish steel

would i notice much difference in shave feel between Japanese Swedish steel razor, and razor made with Swedish made Swedish steel razor?

On the hardness of the steal scale, Swedish and Japanese are both at the top of the scale.
What makes most of the difference between them is how they are ground. Most Japanese razors tend to be full hollow or extra hollow.

On the hardness of the steal scale, Swedish and Japanese are both at the top of the scale.
What makes most of the difference between them is how they are ground. Most Japanese razors tend to be full hollow or extra hollow.
and swedish grinds?

As much as I dislike to somewhat contradict @totorlekiller, whose knowledge very often is of great help to me, I'd like to add a point. Swedish steel is used to denominate two things when it comes to razors:
  • Swedish Steel is a recipe for making steel, a steel that's very hard but not necessarily made out of Swedish iron ore.
  • Straight razors made out of iron ore from mines in the Bergslagen district in Sweden. Eskilstuna is in the heartland of Bergslagen. This iron ore is the purest in the world and the steel made from this ore is exceptionally hard and durable. This is what makes razors made in Eskilstuna special.
I only own a few Japanese made razors, but the ones I've got are made out of high quality steel.

As much as I dislike to somewhat contradict @totorlekiller, whose knowledge very often is of great help to me, I'd like to add a point. Swedish steel is used to denominate two things when it comes to razors:
  • Swedish Steel is a recipe for making steel, a steel that's very hard but not necessarily made out of Swedish iron ore.
  • Straight razors made out of iron ore from mines in the Bergslagen district in Sweden. Eskilstuna is in the heartland of Bergslagen. This iron ore is the purest in the world and the steel made from this ore is exceptionally hard and durable. This is what makes razors made in Eskilstuna special.
I only own a few Japanese made razors, but the ones I've got are made out of high quality steel.

I wish I could find the article, it talked about Above districts. And mentioned closed mine of even finer Ore....

I only have 2 Eslkilstuna razors . One I think is older.... and I get a more favorable edge on it. Do you find that older Eskilstuna steel / razors are differ from newer?

No contradictions there.
Now, do you concur with my observations that Swedish-made razor tends to have heavier grind?
Do you have a super hollow viking razor?
Even my 8/8 MK13 feels pretty beefy compared to a Filarmonica
2017_01_17.jpg

I've got two 1/4 hollow Swedes, the rest are full hollow; all CVHs. check the model of the maker to know what you're getting I guess. my experience looking around is that there's at least a fair distribution, if not preponderance towards hollow in the Swedes I've seen. but I don't seek out 1/2s, and may have not noticed them. era of production could be a factor too.

I've got a 1/4 hollow Parker (Japanese), "Swedish Steel" that's phenomenal. they have an identical model full hollow that I'd love to test drive.

nope, western design. But I wonder if yours didn’t have the heel removed for some reason. It does look like more traditional grinds on some.

AEA7924F-6AEA-4C88-B5F6-FB5DA8E99994.jpeg

No contradictions there.
Now, do you concur with my observations that Swedish-made razor tends to have heavier grind?
Do you have a super hollow viking razor?
Even my 8/8 MK13 feels pretty beefy compared to a Filarmonica
View attachment 1084591
To be totally honest Marc I kind of dodged that part, because there isn't a simple yes or no answer.

The Eskilstuna razors marked as full hollow are most often more hollow than the Sheffield full hollow razors, but then again Solingen made full hollow razors are often more hollow than either. The key word here though is "often". Once the Eskilstuna makers had got the hang of how to grind razors, in the 1890's, some of them started to take the concept too far. Thus I have a handful of Swedish razors with blades just as thick as a DE blade. Making a straight razor that thin is kind of stupid since the blade will wear down very fast when honed. So around 1900 these extremely hollow blades became more and more uncommon and soon disappeared entirely from the market.

Different Eskilstuna makers had different preferences for how hollow a full hollow razor should be. I can see no difference between a full hollow E.A. Berg razor and one made in Solingen. Then again, as you write, Heljestrand razors mostly have a bit thicker grind. Then there is one Swedish razor type that was very popular domestically that is made out of extra hard steel and that have an extremely hollow ground. I usually refer to them as "shoulderless". Below is the Heljestrand version of it, sold as No.15 or sometimes as No.16. To underscore your point this Heljestrand razor has a bit heavier grind than the E.A. Berg, Törnblom, Hellberg, Söderén, Neiström and other makers versions of it, but it still is thinner than most blades.

Personally I have no preference regarding grind, most of them have their charm, but I stay away from wedge razors. I generally can find great pleasure in any razor from a quarter hollow 4/8 Eskilstuna made razor to a large 7/8 extra full hollow Solingen blade.

So that's my non committal answer: It depends. :wink2:
20200409_203620.jpg

I wish I could find the article, it talked about Above districts. And mentioned closed mine of even finer Ore....

I only have 2 Eslkilstuna razors . One I think is older.... and I get a more favorable edge on it. Do you find that older Eskilstuna steel / razors are differ from newer?
It might have been something I have written. Perhaps this:
The mining in Bergslagen (meaning mining district) started around 1200 A.D. and was a cornerstone in Swedish economy for more than 700 years. However the mines were deep and they never recovered after the crash of 1929. Their role was taken over by the enormous Kiruna mine (still very active) that produced nearly as pure ore, but at avery much more competitive cost. During WWII the allies were cut off from the Swedish steel and replaced it with very cheap steel of acceptable quality from South America. So after 1945 the Bergslagen mines were closed down one by one. Today Dannemora is the only mine in Bergslagen still in business.

Last edited:
nope, western design. But I wonder if yours didn’t have the heel removed for some reason. It does look like more traditional grinds on some.
I have another 510 which looks like your picture.
Honed.jpg

As for the other one, I have seen many Japanese razor that have the heel removed seemingly after market.
Like this Friodur
Honed.jpg

Some might have been rescued, but considering how common those are, I suspect they are like that due to some local preferences.

Some might have been rescued, but considering how common those are, I suspect they are like that due to some local preferences.

I agree, and that's what I was trying to allude to. more Kami like for the domestic market.

mine's not a 510, it's a circled PR, about the same spot. and mine has a different shank to blade transition.

Top Bottom