What's new

Swedish Gillettes and the Super Silvers From Ebay

I'll confess, this thread had me excited about another source for Swedish Gillettes (see the posts about the blades on Ebay). I'm always looking for new sources to reduce the price of the sampler packs. While the Ebay blades say "Super Silver", and the Swedes say "Platinum", a few people have claimed they are the same. So I bought a bunch to see.

Let me just get straight to the conclusion. These are NOT the same blade. I don't care who's told who what, they most deffinetely have different qualities. The biggest difference is that they are not as sharp as the Swedes, no question about it. I tried blades from multiple packs in different razors and compared them directly with the Swedes. In every case, the Ebay version pulled more and required an extra pass to get the same shave results. Now this isn't to say they are a bad blade. They're actaully pretty good. In my opinion, they shave very similar to the Derby Extras. Not quite as sharp, but pretty forgiving. They also last about the same number of shaves for me (5-7).

By the way, the Super Silvers do not list the Scandanavian distribution cities on the back like the Swedes.

I've sent packs of these to a few members here on B&B. Hopefully they'll share their feedback as well.

As Marty said: thanks for the info John. I've been in contact with the eBay seller of those blades to get the details on the back of the blade packaging.

The seller wasn't really interested in my questions and although I got a response, it never was clear whether the same distribution countries were on the back. The unclear answers and the fact that it mentioned Super Silver instead of Platinum made me decide not to buy them and it seems my guess was right.

Thanks for figuring this out.

In another thread I posted about another online company selling these Platinums, the store is called Landy's Chemist. I haven't tried those yet so I'm not sure whether the distributing countries are the same as the good Swedish Gillettes but it may be worth a shot to send a quick mail to this online company to see whether they can provide you with the info on the back of the package.

Just a proposal, nothing more.

I've emailed the Ebay seller as well. The response always included "yes they're the same blade" but never included the cities. The seller then went on to say that Gillettes are either produced in India and China so all the Gillettes are pretty much the same. Whether or not they're made in the same place, they're not the same blade. They're a decent blade, for a good price, and fast shipping, so I don't want to sound too critical of the blades. But if you're looking for the real Swedish Gillettes, go to one of the reliable sources.

For the interest of the board, I'll contact Landy's Chemist, but I'm pretty happy with my current supplier.

letterk said:
I'll confess, this thread had me excited about another source for Swedish Gillettes (see the posts about the blades on Ebay). I'm always looking for new sources to reduce the price of the sampler packs. While the Ebay blades say "Super Silver", and the Swedes say "Platinum", a few people have claimed they are the same. So I bought a bunch to see.

Let me just get straight to the conclusion. These are NOT the same blade. I don't care who's told who what, they most deffinetely have different qualities. The biggest difference is that they are not as sharp as the Swedes, no question about it. I tried blades from multiple packs in different razors and compared them directly with the Swedes. In every case, the Ebay version pulled more and required an extra pass to get the same shave results. Now this isn't to say they are a bad blade. They're actaully pretty good. In my opinion, they shave very similar to the Derby Extras. Not quite as sharp, but pretty forgiving. They also last about the same number of shaves for me (5-7).

By the way, the Super Silvers do not list the Scandanavian distribution cities on the back like the Swedes.

I've sent packs of these to a few members here on B&B. Hopefully they'll share their feedback as well.
Tomorrow with photos!:biggrin1:

Very similar, including the "Powered by Auravita" graphic in the upper right corner. Looks like Auravia is hosting other sites on their storefront.

Landys also appear to have cheaper prices. ....I have just had an order delived from Aurivita....and it was considerably more expensive from Aurivita.

Brian

Well DE Fans, here we are for a Stainless and Platinum Skirmish!​

Welcome to Blade BattleZ!
full

What happens when the Slicing Swede

full

Meets the Kronberg Cutter?​

full

This razor to razor comparison tells all!​

I always enjoy the multitude of opinions we find at B&B, especially when it comes to evaluating subjective issues such as what is today's date.:blink: But when it came to the reputation of the Franco, Finn, Danish, Anglo, Norwegian, Swedish blades, I had to develop an objective system of tests to debunk the claims of the Südwärts Deutscher and Ελληνικά (That's Greek to me!) distributed blades.

I lined up Messers Jagger and Trumper's razors. They have identical heads and similarly weighted handles (both like Merkur Longhandled Classics, only much heftier). My test was to use the Swede in one razor and the Kronberger in the other. I would alternate sides of my face and neck each day until one blade gave up or the difference in blades was so obvious as to make continuing the test foolish or painful..

The second series of tests would be held with a Futur, once again alternating sides every day. Reporting almost everyday, I provided John (LetterK) with performance reports. To save you all from the boredom, I have some consolidated results that will make it all too obvious that there is a DISTINCT difference in the performance of these Gillette blades..

A three day reverie:
Continuing my test of Gillette Blades. Super Silver(SS) and Platinum(Pt). This, the third shave, is almost as interesting as the first. The SS is showing the fact that it is not as sharp as the Pt by requiring some additional skill to get a good, close (B+ or better) shave. This is its second time on the left side and it really complained about the moustache on the S-N fourth pass trying to hop and bite me. It either did not do an adequate reduction on the prior three passes or it just is not sharp enough to achieve the task without some (significant) pressure.
That's how it is here. The second shave provided no real insight beynd the first, although the SS seemed to smooth out a bit, i.e. not nearly any drag when shaving the right side (Shaved the previous day by the Pt).

In an end of test summary:
...Odd that you mention the Derby Extras. The Gillette Super Silver remind me of them a great deal. Somewhat harsh on the first shave and fair (not great, but decent) for two or three shaves after that. The Swedes, on the other hand, start off smoother and stay that way for 5+ shaves. They are also a bit sharper than the Super Silver (not quite up to Feather's fine standard). I tried them in a mild and an aggressive razor (LH Classic and a Futur). The Super barely gave an acceptable shave in the Classic, but did fair in the Futur. The Swedes did a good job in both, definitely more so in the LH Classic. Definitely different.

There you have it! They are different and, from a performance standpoint, the Swedes are superior..:thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
John also sent me a pack of the Super Silvers to try. I used the SS Blades in a Merkur 1904 [my 'go to' razor]. I have come to a conclusion similar to Ron (guenron) that the Super Silvers are very similar in performance to the Derby Extras. I realize some here rave about the Derby's, however, for me they just don't produce a good, close, comfortable shave; and neither do the Super Silvers.

My favorite blade still remains the Swedish Gillette. I consistently get a good, close, comfortable shave with the Swedes and I will continue to purchase them, in spite of the fact that they may cost a bit more. They just work for me! I am able to get a slightly closer shave with Feathers, however, the shave is not always as comfortable since they almost always produce at least a couple of 'weepers'.

I use Merkur fixed head razors 99% of the time; either the 1904, the Classic, the HD or the Slant [occasionally]. Merkur Fixed Head + Swedish Gillette = My Best Shave [YMMV].

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
guenron said:
There you have it! They are different and, from a performance standpoint, the Swedes are superior..:thumbup:

And not just the blondes!

Great review, and I agree completely. I find the Swedish Gillette works even better than Feathers in my Merkur 23C long handle.

glad to see im not the only one who thinks swedes are the best. i also have to say that the feathers are my second favorite but like potty doctor they alway cause me some sort of irritation (if not a weeper then a sting when i use the alum.) however its always minor and im sure its due to my lack of skill.

thanks for the suggestion on the other board also.

matthew

Top Bottom