What's new

Sweater vests CANNOT be worn with a suit, correct?

Just checking, because I am a big sweater vest fan, but my gut tells me that you can't wear a sweater vest with a suit, correct? Basically, if you want to incorporate a vest into your suit, you have to just purchase a classic 3-piece suit? Is that the basic rule? In other words, if I wore a sweater vest (say a nice gray one) with a black suit, would I just look like a *******?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
It's not unheard of.
If you do, make sure it's a v neck, nothing looks dumber than the knot of a tie sticking out above a sweater.
Also you want to make sure it's a very thin gage material, not the "christmas sweater" deal.
It should be a complimentary neutral color not something that calls attention.

I personally wouldn't wear a sweater vest with a suit, but I see it done frequently.

$Armie-Hammer-wore-sweater-vest-under-his-suit-jacket.jpg$sweater-vests.jpg

Last edited:
not in July. not in August (at least not in this hemisphere).

But,...

In January, February, March? Why not?

Who wrote that rule?

Wear what you like.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
No dumbassery will be involved.

Make sure it is "season/weather appropriate" to wear though ... wearing a parka in summer smacks of the "d-a" word you mentioned, and so would a sweatervest with a suit in summer. It's more of a "cold weather" thing.

I'd think they go better with a sportsjacket of some sort and dress slacks, but with a suit too ... sure.

And yes, go for the "V" neck.

V-neck, and buttons. Not a fan of the "flat-front' vests on a suit. It takes a bit of fashion finesse to make it look right, and you can certainly very easily go "wrong", but there's no hard and fast rule against it. It does make the outfit more casual, however.

Easier to pull off with a sport coat.

Not sure where the OP is located, but considering it is going to be 100+ over the next few days, I don't want to talk about sweaters.

Pep Guardiola has been rocking that combo for a while now. Funny thing is that a hell of a lot of other football managers followed his trend this year.

$pep-guardiola_R_2204516a.gif

Some of the pictures in this thread depict men wearing sweaters and suits. The OP was asking about sweater vests, which IMO are not at all the same thing.

I don't think that sweater and tie is a very good look, whether you're wearing a suit/jacket or not. It's difficult to do well.

Sweater vest, tie, and suit is a definite "ick" in my book.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
A sweater vest may be button front or pull over, crew or V neck.
What makes it a sweater vest is the lack of sleeves, and you can't tell that from any of the pictures displayed.
The pics I posted had text that accompanies the picture indicating that the individual is wearing a sweater vest.

Here are two Brooks Brothers sweater vests, one button front, one pull over.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/NAVY-...PLA_Shopping&gclid=CNKo4vTr4L8CFQaOaQodjGkAlQ

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/CHECK...PLA_Shopping&gclid=CITr7PPr4L8CFQgxaQodlZsA7w

Last edited:
A sweater vest may be button front or pull over, crew or V neck.
What makes it a sweater vest is the lack of sleeves, and you can't tell that from any of the pictures displayed.
The pics I posted had text that accompanies the picture indicating that the individual is wearing a sweater vest.

Here are two Brooks Brothers sweater vests, one button front, one pull over.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/NAVY-...PLA_Shopping&gclid=CNKo4vTr4L8CFQaOaQodjGkAlQ

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/CHECK...PLA_Shopping&gclid=CITr7PPr4L8CFQgxaQodlZsA7w

You are correct sir. Let me amend my statement:

Button-ups with tie (suit or no): definite ick.

Crew neck with tie (suit or no): amostly certainly ick.

V-neck with tie (suit or no): proceed with great caution.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

Walter Hagen sees far less ick than you ...

proxy.php

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

I personally agree with your assessment. But these whipper-snappers of today have a different opinion on style, and I have to admit that not all of it is bad.

I wear thin V neck sweaters with suits and a tie. I get cold in the winter. Not sure how else to add "warmth" to my outfit in the office.

Top Bottom