What's new

SV vs. MdC

An unrelated but very related question to all MDC and SV users:

Do you routinely use some sort of alum after shaving?

Yes

No

How does it feel.....
No. I'm completely off the alum train and have gotten lazier on post shave in general. Wipe off remaining later, warm rinse, cold rinse, alum, another cold rinse, pat dry, and then balm or something or other.

Now... it's just wipe lather off, dry, and usually a splash but not always.

I notice post shave quality of soaps now moreso, but I do the same with proraso and arko. Arko being the most drying but not so much that I'm arsed to change anything up.

Yes

No

How does it feel.....

Yes. It’s my routine regardless shaving soap I use. Even though I have a sensitive skin, I’m always perform very close shave. Immediately after shaving I do cold wash and apply alum. After alum does its job of about 30 seconds, I wash my face again, and then wipe my skin with witch hazel tonic applied on a make-up remover cotton tissue as by the nature alum may contain heavy metals in it. Alum is used in industry to remove heavy metals you know.
Expensive soaps/croaps/creams fails to impress me over cella/tabac except for post-shave feel and scent. This is true for SV/TOBS. I’m not used yet but I’ve no hope for MdC.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.

Yes

No

How does it feel.....
No. I can't stand alum. Let's wipe a block of salt on our face. Why? Then I just have to rinse that off again. For me it adds a completely unneccessary step.

MdC gives me one of the best face feels simply rinsing it and doing nothing over other soaps. I don't mess with that. Sometimes witch hazel, but that's it.

Interestingly if you have some soap left on your face....you rub the stone and it vanishes......... wait 3-5' till it starts burning again and wash your face with the residual soap left in the brush....and it also vanishes..... And it takes away all the goodness of post shave in good soaps....you are left with a dry skin....now ready for balm.... I suppose if you have any bleeders....maybe use alum, or better a pen....... that is what I have found that works for my face....and more so on the scalp.
But I do understand how we are all unique.

I used SV for the first time today - a sample of Dolomiti from a PIF. On the basis of this one shave, I might have to say I give the nod to SV, but time will tell. I have used two tubs of MdC - regular scent and Fougere. The fougere is probably my favorite scent of everything I have used. The soap is excellent, and lasts a long time. I always got a good shave with MdC.

Top Bottom