Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
SV Saturday
IMG_20220702_135843.jpg

Razor: Fatip Piccolo
Blade: Schick(40)
Soap: SV Opuntia
Brush: Yaqi Timberwolf

Tonight for SV Saturday it was the turn of Opuntia I always enjoy SV, I think it even pips MdC to the post as my favourite soap. When I am pushing a blade I need slick soap to get the best performance.
The result was OK, still comfortable but the neck and jawline are still not as they could be, but I'm going to give tomorrow's gear a good shake up and see if I can make an improvement on tonight's result.
Finally I've broken through the 40 shave barrier.

SV Saturday 2nd July

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Cubebe
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Astra SP #7
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave.

MWF is a great default soap, but after a week of it, I was looking forward to a change. Cubebe didn't disappoint, with a perfectly slick bowl-lather.

Got a comfortable BBS.

Mike M

SV Saturday
IMG_20220709_144724.jpg

Razor: Muhle R41
Blade: Schick(47)
Soap: SV 70th Anniversary
Brush: Yaqi Purple Haze

Tonight for SV Saturday I brought out the SV 70th Anniversary my current favourite. Surprise, surprise I'm using the Schick blade again for the 47th shave, 47, seriously 47.
The shave was great, smooth again and left me with a fairly smooth finish. This blade and gear are giving me better shaves than a lot of blades with less than half as many shaves on them.

SV Saturday 9th July.

Soap: Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary
Razor: GC.68 SB, Al Handle, Astra SP #5

SV70 day has come round again. Since I got a BBS yesterday, was content to use the mild Game Changer today.

Got a perfect bowl lather, and a comfortable DFS.

Mike M

SV Saturday
IMG_20220716_133619_1.jpg

Razor:
Muhle R41
Blade: Schick(54)
Soap: SV Desert Vetiver
Brush: Muhle Kosmo STF with bog oak handle

Tonight for SV Saturday I went with Desert Vetiver the Kosmo was also up for tonight as I want to get a few shaves with it to road test it.
This felt like a true luxury shave, unlike many wooden handles it is not lacquered until you can't tell it is wood and the STF knot is so soft, even compared to many of my other synthetic brushes, that there is little to no scrub. I did wonder if the handle would be comfortable but gripping it seems totally natural though it is small.
The shave was once again smooth and comfortable though not a BBS, no surprise on a 54th shave, it was still quite close.

SV Saturday 16th July.

Soap: Saponificio Varesino Opuntia
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, KCG #2

Opuntia day is here again, quite a contrast to yesterday's experiment with Pears Green Soap.

Got a perfect bowl lather again. Took my time, for a comfortable BBS.

almost forgot this thread again but was doing some searches on Morado and was like OH have to post my SV Sat :)
ordered some Morado yesterday they were out of the Opuntia so figured try the newest scent got the Shaving soap and AS and bar soap kit so hoping I like it I wanted to try the 4.3 to see how it is compared to this 70th :)

so shave today

Timeless .68 OC with green 7 O’Clock on 3rd shave

SV 70th :) oh love love it ! really SV is becoming my fav go to soap :) need to try Ethos and maybe WSP as they are local to me

Semogue brush kinda making me want to try some other badgers now that I know the soaps I am liking them with but that is for later on :)

Old Spice AS and some cremo heritage

Yeah just a few tiny spots where I could feel the sting and it was super minor to me that is a great comfy shave while the timeless takes a few more passes its so comfy in this .68 does not matter :)

Mike M

SV Saturday
IMG_20220723_140703.jpg

Razor: Muhle Rocca R94
Blade: Personna Platinum(2)
Soap: SV 70th Anniversary
Brush: Muhle Kosmo STF with bog oak handle

Can you believe it that Shark Week starts tomorrow and I sighted blood tonight with my favourite blade. I got a weeper on my neck, admittedly I did start throwing the razor around my face as I have for the last 2 months with the Schick blade, I quickly slowed down and got an easy BBS in three straight passes. At least I saw some action, as did the alum block.
Finally I was thinking that I would be quite happy to use this setup for the rest of my days.

SV Saturday 23rd July

Soap: Saponificio Varesino Cubebe
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, KCG #7

It's Cubebe's turn again. Took my time, and got a comfortable BBS.

ordered some Morado yesterday they were out of the Opuntia so figured try the newest scent

I'd be interested to read your test drive of it — and yours, @edw .

Finally I was thinking that I would be quite happy to use this setup for the rest of my days.

My combination of kit is also more or less ideal. I almost bought a Lupo .72 the other night, but would it really be any better? I doubt it.

I went with Tundra Artica (4.1). My favorites are Tundra Arica, Mirto di Sardegna and Manna di Sicilia. Not sure About Desert Vetiver yet if I really like it, but Opuntia might be relegated to be a bath soap. It is a nice scent, but it turns out I find it too cologne like for my taste to use as soap, and for some reason the scent of a soap bothers me less when showering.

Do others agree Opuntia is more cologne like than the others I mentioned? And if so: which one should I consider next.

SV Saturday 30th July

Soap: Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary
Razor: GC.68 SB, Ti Handle, Astra SS #1

Time to try an Astra Blue again. Used the mild Game Changer, and it tamed the "sharp but not very smooth" blade for a comfortable DFS.

The SV lathered up perfectly, as usual.

Mike M

Shark Week shave#7
SV Saturday

IMG_20220730_213319.jpg

Razor: Rockwell 6C R6
Blade: Shark Platinum(7)
Soap: SV Desert Vetiver
Brush: Muhle Kosmo STF with Bog Oak handle

Sorry guys, forgot to post last night's shave for SV Saturday I chose Desert Vetiver as next month is Adventus August the next four SV Saturdays will be Opuntia. The Kosmo is back because it is just unbeatable at face lathering SV and another shave for the Rockwell, I always underestimate the Rockwell until I use it again and get great shaves with it. I think it's because it is a good solid performer, but it's never earth shattering.
The result was a near BBS (I credit the SV for that). I never seem to get a bad shave with SV, no wonder it's my favourite soap.

my Morado order came in early (that is hand/body soap in the box)
not all samples in photo as I could not wait and opened some to play with :)

3C599EA1-B8ED-41EE-9F3A-04DEF7E91DEA.jpeg

Wrote a long bad grammar rambling first thoughts here

Cant wait to use it tomorrow :)

Last edited:

Mike M

SV Saturday
IMG_20220806_140511_1.jpg

Razor: Muhle Rocca R94
Blade: Personna Platinum(8)
Soap: SV Opuntia
Brush: Muhle Kosmo STF with Bog Oak Handle

Tonight for SV Saturday I decided to use my current favourite setup, Rocca, Kosmo, SV soap and Personna blade. As I said last week I would be happy to keep this setup for the rest of my days and as @Ckmaui says I just love my SV soaps.
The result was a near BBS, but it was a little hard on my neck, and when I sprayed on the Kolonya there was a bit of a burn. I'm thinking maybe I need to look at different blades, so I need to kick my blade search into high gear. Honestly if I got 100 Schick blades I would be happy.

Top Bottom