What's new

SV Saturday

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
IMG_20220505_104245_1.jpg

O.K. everyone knows Saturday is the best day of the week, so how do you make it better?
Use the best shaving soap, Saponificio Varesino, not just the soap, if you have the aftershave or the balm or any SV products why not use them. I have been on a 3017 kick this year and as a result I have not been using my SV soaps.
The solution is to dedicate one day a week to this king of soaps so that it gets the use it deserves.

Mike M

IMG_20220521_221425.jpg

Soap: SV 70th Anniversary
Razor: Muhle Rocca R94
Blade: Personna Platinum
Brush: Simpsons Trafalgar T3

Tonight for the first SV Saturday I pulled out my now favourite SV soap 70th Anniversary (it was Opuntia but 70th is more summery) as usual the lather was excellent, but had to use a few more swirls on the puck because the T3 is that much bigger than my usual 24mm synthetic brushes.
Loaded a fresh Personna Platinum (my favourite blade) into the Muhle Rocca R94 and found myself in some kind of shaving heaven. The stubble seemed to melt and with three straight passes and no buffing I ended up with a BBS that took no effort at all.
After that I was left in a very happy place, how do you improve Saturdays, this is how. I finished off with a few dabs of Nivea Men Moisturizer and a spritz of Clinique Happy for Men.

Let's hear about your SV Saturday shaves.

Mike M

IMG_20220528_131426.jpg

Razor: King C Gillette
Blade: Schick(5)
Soap: SV Opuntia
Brush: RR Beehive brush

Tonight, as it is SV Saturday I decided to use Opuntia, formerly my favourite soap although nowadays 70th Anniversary just beats it. I stand by my recent statement that I could shave with Opuntia and a broken bottle and still give the shave a 9 out of 10.
After 20 or so swirls on the puck I had enough lather to shave me and the dog.
The shave was fantastic, so fantastic that after 3 passes I was so sorry it was over I lathered up for a fourth pass though I didn't need it. Pass number 4 was another XTG pass just for the sheer joy of it. When it was finished I was left with a BBS, not a surprise after 4 passes.
Finished with a splash of Old Spice, I don't care how much the Mrs thinks it smells like old man, it is the only A/S I started the year with that I would keep and not just because it was a gift from my son

SV Saturday 28th May

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, KCG #5
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Fresh Kick Balm.

Out of the Cubebe, Opuntia and 70th Anniversary soaps, I slightly prefer the SV70 scent, but they all perform very well, and bowl-lather reliably for me.

I've got no objection to tallow, and use MWF half the time, but SV shows you can get excellent performance with the right vegetable-sourced ingredients.

SV Saturday 4th June.

Soap: Saponificio Varesino Opuntia
Razor: GC.84 OC, Al Handle, Astra SP #2
Post-shave: Nivea Fresh Kick Balm.

Got the usual luxurious bowl lather with SV Opuntia. Stayed with the open comb Game Changer, for a BBS SV Saturday.

Mike M

SV Saturday
IMG_20220611_133319_1.jpg

Blade: Schick(19)
Brush: Yaqi Purple Mink

Tonight for SV Saturday I returned to my favourite SV soap of the moment, 70th Anniversary. I also changed up to the Muhle Rocca R94 as the Rockwell seemed to struggle to provide a quality finish for the last couple of shaves.
The shave was another triumph for SV and the R94. The Schick blade was as smooth as I have come to expect and was fairly quiet on audio feedback in the normally noisy R94. Still required a little buffing on the neck for that BBS finish
Topped off with a couple of sprays of Clinique Happy for Men to close a 10 out of 10 shave.

SV Saturday 11th June

Soap: Saponificio Varesino Cubebe
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Astra SP #2
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave.

Got a perfect bowl-lather with the Cubebe. A comfortable DFS, without much sting from the aftershave.

Mike M

IMG_20220618_130343_1.jpg

Blade: Schick(26)
Soap: SV Desert Vetiver
Brush: Yaqi Black Ferrari

Tonight for SV Saturday it was the turn of Desert Vetiver and I hoped for a good close shave for today. The soap did not disappoint, although this is my least favourite scent of the 3 SV soaps I possess it is growing on me. The post shave is the best of the 3 making it well worth it.
The shave was incredibly close and just felt easy, no fuss, no drama. When I was finished I had a BBS, yes that's right a BBS on the 26th shave with the Schick blade. I knew there was a good reason I loved SV soaps.

SV Saturday 18th June.
Day 18, 60% complete.

Soap: Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary

Got a perfect bowl-lather again, with SV70 this time. This scent narrowly wins against the other two I own, Opuntia and Cubebe.

Took my time, and got a good comfortable BBS result. I'm currently trying to use up my "nearly done" yet weirdly immortal MWF puck, so SV Saturday is a good excuse for a change.

Tonight for SV Saturday it was the turn of Desert Vetiver and I hoped for a good close shave for today. The soap did not disappoint, although this is my least favourite scent of the 3 SV soaps I possess it is growing on me.

From my (rather limited) knowledge of scents, I'd probably like vetiver, so I'm getting tempted to increase my SV collection to 4.

Mike M

SV Saturday
IMG_20220625_133526.jpg

Blade: Schick(33)
Brush: Yaqi Purple Haze

Tonight for SV Saturday it was the turn of 70th Anniversary, just as well to have something to look forward to as the weather was rubbish today. The setup is currently my favourite and always gives me excellent results.
The shave was one of the best and was comfortable at all times with no irritation and no buffing required, it should be illegal to enjoy anything this much and it usually is. I was unfortunately left with another near BBS finish and a hankering for Shark

SV Saturday 25th June.

Soap: Saponificio Varesino Opuntia

Opuntia was a welcome change, after using up MWF all week. Got a perfect slick bowl lather.

Took my time, and got a good comfortable near-BBS result.

Top Bottom