What's new

SV Dolomiti 4.3 in aluminum is coming out.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Marco sir, is it that good? I don't read much about it and I 've being a little relactant since it does not come from a company with soap ''pedigree''.

Yes Sir, Captain Fawcett's soaps get my full endorsement.

The reason why this brand is not talked about too much is because the early versions were only "so-so". Now, they are an excellent tallow based formula that is as good as D.R. Harris IMHO.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Marco sir, is it that good? I don't read much about it and I 've being a little relactant since it does not come from a company with soap ''pedigree''.

I have this one here:

20201019_115159.jpg

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I will have to disagree. DR Harris isn't anywhere near SV's performance. Funny that you find it better, maybe you are a tallow man :001_tt2:

Sir, we all are entitled of our own opinion and all have our unique tastes. :001_smile

Tallow is not a "magic ingredient", I have both tallow and tallow-free soaps (La Toja, Musgo Real, Ach. Brito Mogno) that I love. In +26 years of wet shaving I have tested hundreds (literally) of soaps, of all kinds and coming from all different countries.

I also was one of the very first testers of the 4.3 version of SV, sent to me straight from the company for an evaluation before it was released to the public.

I suspect current D. R. Harris, Cyril R. Salter and Captain Fawcett all use the same manufacturer.

Likewise, in terms of listed ingredients and performance, current Floris and Apsley are pretty much identical to one another (not to the aforementioned), so they, too, probably have a manufacturer in common.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I suspect current D. R. Harris, Cyril R. Salter and Captain Fawcett all use the same manufacturer.

Likewise, in terms of listed ingredients and performance, current Floris and Apsley are pretty much identical to one another (not to the aforementioned), so they, too, probably have a manufacturer in common.

This is possible and could also easily explain why I love D.R. Harris and Captain Fawcett "equally so much". Scents, however, are different and each one has its uniqueness.

In terms of presentation bowls Captain Fawcett's are absolutely gorgeous. In my opinion they are the most strikingly beautiful.

20201029_093209.jpg

20201029_093324.jpg

Pasteur now has Dolomiti 4.3 in stock, currently $37.

I ordered Sunday and received yesterday (Wednesday). Haven’t shaved with it yet so I can’t comment on performance.

Pasteur also have the new 70th EDP in stock as well, for those looking.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Dear Marco sir, I am patiently waiting your review on Captain Fawcett's soaps.

Sir, a few other members have already privately asked me the same thing. But writing reviews takes me time and I'm terribly busy at the moment. Anyway, although not sure exactly when, I will. I promise that I will.

Thank you for your patience.

Captain Fawcett' soaps have a great reputation here in Italy, especially the Scapicchio Signature series and Marco's endorsement is the best guarantee about the high quality of the soap.

On a final note, do not expect a SV Dolomiti 4.3 refill, it will only be released in the tin bowl.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Captain Fawcett' soaps have a great reputation here in Italy, especially the Scapicchio Signature series and Marco's endorsement is the best guarantee about the high quality of the soap.

On a final note, do not expect a SV Dolomiti 4.3 refill, it will only be released in the tin bowl.

You are really too kind, Romano. Grazie amico mio per le belle parole.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I really enjoy My 3m soap's
D.R. Harris is one of my favorites
SV is up there as well
Believe it or not I really really like vintage old spice, history and all and my face always thanks me 😊, I use it every Sunday as it brings back memories of my father .

I just purchased a tin of Dolomiti. I consider it the to be the first true, luxury shave soap that I have tried. I have to say that it is a step above my other soaps. It lathers great, and is very slick. Captain Fawcett (in the container) on Amazon is more expensive than what you can get the SV soaps for at other places.

Dolomiti is my favorite SV soap. I love the performance of all SV soaps in all beta versions...but the scent on the older, dark black beta 4.0 dolomiti puck is something special for me.

I had the 4.3 but I sold it as the 4.0 has an increased mineral scent (it's dark black due to the dolimite silt). I really should have stocked up on these when they were available!

The other 7 SV soaps I had were sold off as I found the scents too "cologney".

I have the dark 4.0. To be honest I dont think its very good. Scent is so so.
The lather seems quite thin and weak, a bit airy maybe.

I prefer Haslinger, Tabac and Klar to this one. Better lather, better scents.

I have the dark 4.0. To be honest I dont think its very good. Scent is so so.
The lather seems quite thin and weak, a bit airy maybe.

I prefer Haslinger, Tabac and Klar to this one. Better lather, better scents.

Thin and weak lather is opposite to my experience.

I actually prefer the 4.0 lather over the 4.3. It feels more dense (but just a hair less slickness).

The scent is heavenly for me but in any case, that's purely a personal preference.

Haslinger and Tabac are definitely superb soaps, no doubting that!

Top Bottom