What's new

Sutliff 515RC-1

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
So this blend is touted as an attempt at a 5100 Redcake match. I have never had 5100 so I cannot comment on its being close or not to the McClelland staple.

I can, say, however, that the tin note out of the brand new bag from SP smells like a bottle of white vinegar. I get very little else. It is mildly damp, and after 20 minutes out on a plate it seems to be just right.

The false light was a little rough, and the tongue tingled a bit. It settled down afterwards though, and is becoming quite enjoyable. It’s a little sweet, with flavors of shortbread. It’s tangy on the tongue. Hopefully some age will tone that down. Smoking this make me miss McClelland even more.

For the 20 some odd dollars a pound it will be worth getting a few and cellaring it for the future.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Interestingly the sour notes are gone by the second half of the bowl. Or my tongue is numbed out.

I bought a half pound of Sutliff 507-s touted as a replacement for McClelland 5105 and in my opinion it like many other Sutliff blends falls far short.

Top Bottom