What's new

Suspiciously good-shaving Slim Twist

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Rubbing my jaw this morning, trying to figure this out ...

After last week's stuntshaving with the R41 (will revisit in a few weeks) went for a first shave today with a new razor, an English-made Gillette Slim Twist, N-marked (1968), looks new/unused.

It's entirely possible some of Gillette's best design work could have come at the tailend of DE shaving, is what I am now thinking.

Now. I have an American-made Knack, a fun and mild shaver with unique handling characteristics ....

Image:68_Knack_1.JPG

And I have the English-made (common) Slim Twist with the white "toothbrush" handle ... another mild shaver.

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece solid guard bar/1970 (P2) Slim Twist.jpg

But the one I just shaved with is the Slim Twist with the black "straw" handle, this one ...

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece solid guard bar/1983 (D3) G2000 Slim beschriftet Logo.jpg

Now, it feels cheap. Obviously Gillette was at a point where the bean-counters were squeezing, and production was forced to become more cost-efficient. The handle is just a plastic straw, basically ... (which will never corrode). The head is just stamped parts, and the neck collar is noticeably cheaper and smaller than the Knack or the white toothbrush-handle Slim Twist. Don't like the collar.

But the shave.

First, the vertical striations are highly effective, something I noted years ago with Fatip Piccolo. The handle's long, making a good lady-leg shaver if needed. There's no weight to this model, so a long handle doesn't add weight.

Shaving with it I was disappointed. Too mild. I felt no warning signs as with a Single Ring or R41. So I just shaved normally. Perhaps like a Blue Tip.

Got to the ATG stage. Went after problem spots and ATG aggressively and felt ... nothing. No "Rash Ahead" warnings. Just a normal shave. No discomfort.

Rinsed, and found a glass-smooth face. What's going on here!? I was expecting stubble, shadow, like a too-mild razor leaves. Instead, it's like a perfect shave.

I am still trying to figure this out. Did they make a super-cheap, late-in-life, really good model? And then, overseas?

It seems so!

Who has, uses, likes, the English, straw-handle, cheapie Slim Twist?

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
A Super Slim Twist with the blue handle (T4) is my birthyear razor (the only model that was made in the same country as me). It gives very nice shaves, and I PIFed on my other butterfly opener, as I saw no reason of keep both. I will be making a custom handle for it at some point, either out of hardwood or buffalo horn, to lower the centre of gravity. Something with some swell to it, similar to the Edwin Jagger Chatsworth handles. The head is great on the Super Slim Twist, but the balance leaves something to be desired in my opinion.

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
A Super Slim Twist with the blue handle (T4) is my birthyear razor (the only model that was made in the same country as me). It gives very nice shaves, and I PIFed on my other butterfly opener, as I saw no reason of keep both. I will be making a custom handle for it at some point, either out of hardwood or buffalo horn, to lower the centre of gravity. Something with some swell to it, similar to the Edwin Jagger Chatsworth handles. The head is great on the Super Slim Twist, but the balance leaves something to be desired in my opinion.

Many thanks! So my new one is a "Super Slimtwist"?

Yes; any of these deserve a better handle than a plastic straw. Wood might be ideal!

AA

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have a couple of these razors that I have picked up over the last few years. White handled ones and blue handled ones. They are surprisingly great razors. Same for me. After the shave my face felt really good. They certainly feel like a cheap razor but they seem to act like a higher end razor IMHO.

I like mine :001_tt1:

proxy.php

Rubbing my jaw this morning, trying to figure this out ...

After last week's stuntshaving with the R41 (will revisit in a few weeks) went for a first shave today with a new razor, an English-made Gillette Slim Twist, N-marked (1968), looks new/unused.

It's entirely possible some of Gillette's best design work could have come at the tailend of DE shaving, is what I am now thinking.

Now. I have an American-made Knack, a fun and mild shaver with unique handling characteristics ....

Image:68_Knack_1.JPG

And I have the English-made (common) Slim Twist with the white "toothbrush" handle ... another mild shaver.

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece solid guard bar/1970 (P2) Slim Twist.jpg

But the one I just shaved with is the Slim Twist with the black "straw" handle, this one ...

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece solid guard bar/1983 (D3) G2000 Slim beschriftet Logo.jpg

Now, it feels cheap. Obviously Gillette was at a point where the bean-counters were squeezing, and production was forced to become more cost-efficient. The handle is just a plastic straw, basically ... (which will never corrode). The head is just stamped parts, and the neck collar is noticeably cheaper and smaller than the Knack or the white toothbrush-handle Slim Twist. Don't like the collar.

But the shave.

First, the vertical striations are highly effective, something I noted years ago with Fatip Piccolo. The handle's long, making a good lady-leg shaver if needed. There's no weight to this model, so a long handle doesn't add weight.

Shaving with it I was disappointed. Too mild. I felt no warning signs as with a Single Ring or R41. So I just shaved normally. Perhaps like a Blue Tip.

Got to the ATG stage. Went after problem spots and ATG aggressively and felt ... nothing. No "Rash Ahead" warnings. Just a normal shave. No discomfort.

Rinsed, and found a glass-smooth face. What's going on here!? I was expecting stubble, shadow, like a too-mild razor leaves. Instead, it's like a perfect shave.

I am still trying to figure this out. Did they make a super-cheap, late-in-life, really good model? And then, overseas?

It seems so!

Who has, uses, likes, the English, straw-handle, cheapie Slim Twist?

AA

Tough to argue with perfection!! Congratulations Sir!! :a29:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Tough to argue with perfection!! Congratulations Sir!! :a29:
Second shave: now that I'm consciously thinking about it ... the blade in there IS a Feather. And the light weight of the thing may have me using slight pressure ... but the results are the same; just a perfect shave.

Absurd to have such a chintzy razor beating an Aristocrat ....

AA

Second shave: now that I'm consciously thinking about it ... the blade in there IS a Feather. And the light weight of the thing may have me using slight pressure ... but the results are the same; just a perfect shave.

Absurd to have such a chintzy razor beating an Aristocrat ....

AA

LOL!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
WHAT DEVILRY IS THIS?!

Third shave. Glass-smooth, irritation-free ATG.

Then, I shaved with bar soap. (see the "other soap" forum).

All right. I give up. Time to buy another, and put a platinum handle on it …

AA

Top Bottom