What's new

Surprisingly nice first shave with a Lord Classic Super Stainless

Have you ever purchased a tuck of blades just to round out an order? I recently purchased some blades from Connaught and just to get the order total to a round number a grabbed 2 tucks of Lord Classic Super Stainless blades. They've lived in my shave den storage for a few months basically ignored until this morning when I decided to load one up in my Slim Adjustable.

Now I admit I didn't go into this shave expecting much. Lords have always been sort of 'meh' to me with the exception of the Silver Stars which I find very pleasant. The Lord Platinums, Ascos, Racers, and Shark Chromes provide OK to good shaves for me without any 'wow' factor.

All that said I went into this shave confident that at the least I'd get a shave without damaging my face. Even my least favorite Lord blades ( I'm looking at you Shark SS ) have always provided a serviceable shave. What I got was an extremely comfortable shave. In fact it was so comfortable that I ended up getting sloppy at the last minute and managed to give myself a small weeper on my lower neck during an ATG pass that was a result of my being too reliant on how smooth the blade felt while I was buffing. Shame on me.

So even with my self inflicted minor mishap, I am pleasantly surprised with how well this blade performed. A lesson for me to not get into the mindset that only the expensive blades are capable of provided smooth comfortable shaves. This value blade was a treat to use. I will definitely pick up a few more the next time I need to round and order out. For the price I don't care if they are even one and done blades.

1571405157981.png

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I don't mind them at all. I think the Quality Control can be a little hit and miss but overall I like them. That much that I bought 100 of them.

Just finished shave #4 on it this morning. Cranked the Slim up to 5 and the Lord delivered a perfectly smooth and comfortable DFS+. I don't really chase BBS, but this <almost> got me there with my typical 3 pass procedure with no buffing.

It's no GSB, but for a non-Russian blade I've been impressed. If I didn't have a stash of 1000 blades I might think of purchasing 100.

I don't believe I ever tried that particular Lord blade but back when I was still using modern blades I remember being pleasantly surprised by a Lord model named "Cool". It was in a red and yellow package that showed a downhill skier. Very inexpensive and , as I said, surprisingly good.

Nice review.

I have several varieties of Lord blades and while I can't tell a difference between any of them, they all give great shaves. When I purchased them they were dirt cheap - under 4¢/blade. I only get 3-4 shaves per blade, but worth it to me. For reference I get 5-7 shaves per Astra.

Playing with it yesterday I cranked the Slim down to 2 and did a quick two-pass shave using the same Classic blade. It felt like a Bic single blade disposable. It was a Socially Acceptable Shave at best, but it was quite quick. I don't blame the blade for it as I was intentionally putting it in a bad situation, and it handled it about as well as I expected. No nicks, cuts, or irritation at all, and no visibly detectable stubble, but I could feel it when I rubbed my face.

I've never tried the Cool but I might look into them the next time I'm blade shopping. I'm not sure anyone really knows what the exact ( if any ) differences exist in the Lord blade lineup. This Classic has been a pleasant experience though.

BTW I feel like I have a fairly easy facial hair profile. I get good shaves with a variety of blades, and I tend to get excellent longevity from blades so I suspect my stubble is easy to cut. Keep this in mind with my reports above.

Top Bottom