What's new

Surprisingly, I've gone back to wooden pencils

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I've been having a go at writing a novel, on and off. It stalled a few times due to life issues and health challenges, but recently I decided to give the ball another kick.

I'd written it all on a lap top, and reading it back to reorientate myself, I found the wording cold. It lacked passion and texture somewhat, and was a rather mechanical point to point navigation through the storyline, devoid of thoughtful prose. I didn't mind, as I can put flesh on the bones later. I'm just slamming down a first draft.

I'd also taken to leaving a notepad around, in case ideas or phrasing came to mind, when the laptop wasn't on. Fountain pens were tools of choice, as they so often are for my incidental scrawl, but yesterday I picked up a pencil instead, for no reason other than variety.

Four A4 pages happened. Not just notes, but a good hearty structure, with more feeling than had previously been typed. I hadn't realised how much fountain pens slowed me down. With the pencil, I could follow the train of thought, and the fingers could keep up. Throwing words down that quick with a fountain pen would skip, or smear as I made impromptu attonations along the way, in text that hadn't fully set.

There's something beneficial about the sharpening too. Rather than just pausing, and staring at a part filled page, whittling a point back on with my penknife, seemed to somehow keep the old grey cells jostling in the right direction.

I had to knock off after those four pages, to do some cross referral, and check my structure notes, but I was really impressed at how much more productive I felt with a humble wooden pencil, than a fountain pen or keyboard. I think I might be onto a new process. Maybe, I'll even catch a second wind with it as I shift format to get it on the laptop, and add in a little more colour along the way.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I like good quality pencils but don’t use them for work because of smudging. But I definitely appts good pencil

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Maybe, I'll even ... add in a little more colour along the way.

1618359740893.png

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Collecting pencils can be another rabbit hole. I know from experience.

When I was a draughtsman, I used Pentel P200. However, whilst they handled great on A0 sheets of film on the board, I didn't find them ideal for extended writing at the desk. I kept a 0.9mm with HB lead for working through equations for deflection calculations and such, but scribbling out a protracted bill of materials would quickly become tedious due to the fairly narrow grip.

I never really explored mechanical pencils for writing, and will probably stop with the traditional wooden ones I think. I do have a couple that handle OK for writing, but they're 0.5mm, which has a habit of breaking too easily when you're trying to keep up with a rampant imagination. Besides which, a wooden pencil always "disappears" in the hand, and I don't want to be chasing my tail down rabbit holes to find something which flows as well as what I already have. :)

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I just realised that pencils also let you use those cheap notebooks you bought, that fountain pens make a real mess of with feathering and bleed through. I don't think I've written this much with a pencil since I was about 10 years old!

I wrote exclusively with pencil from age6 until age 18 when I graduated. I never took notes with a pen, so from 18-21 I used a pen at work and a pencil at school. Haven’t touched a pencil since except to vote. There was a time they had us fillin the boxes with pencil before switching to fiber point pen.

When I’ve temporarily lost my 2mm lead holders I’m happy to drive me a fine Ticonderoga. Never had an issue and the lead is always centered. Recently came into possession of steadtlers and like them fine.

as a side note Neil Gaiman writes his books with fountain pens.

I've recently bought to 5.6mm lead holders. One is the Kaweco brass sketch up and the other a Koh i Noor. I know they're supposed to be for sketching etc but I've put HB leads in both and use for writing. I like the girth of both and have a feeling the rAbbit hole is going to get bigger.

Top Bottom