What's new

Surprising Good Shave from a Dubl Duck

Have you ever bought a razor and from the very beginning you are skeptical about whether it will meet your expectations. I recently bid on a Dubl Duck and between the single fuzzy picture and the hype around Dubl Ducks, I was 90% sure, the razor would show up in worst shape than expected or shave below my expectations (and I’m not normally a pessimist).

Full disclosure, I have bought and refinished over 200 straights over the many years and I tend to search for good quality razors that are in need of refinishing. Spending any amount above $60 is expensive for me but the auction had a blurred picture of a Dubl Duck Lifetime Grim Reaper that looked undamaged and with little hone wear. I planned to bid up to a monstrous $200 and didn't expect to get it.

The auction was a softclose and the price was raising ridiculously fast so I plugged $300 for the sake of having participated. As soon as I bid, it replied “Sorry, bidding has closed” which made no sense on a softclose bid. Something had messed up plus I had obviously hesitated too long and missed out on participating.

The next morning, I got the email saying I had won the razor. I double checked on the validity of the auction, paid the price and postage. I then double checked the picture for any chips or something I missed (I know this sounds too late, but I was trying to manage my own expectations).

It arrived and had very little tarnish and almost no wear. I polished it with nothing more than a bit of Mothers Mag Cleaner on a cloth and then honed it on a 4000, 8000 and 12000 stone (a bit more gently than usual, 'cause something had to go wrong).

I have a Gold Edge, Satin Edge and several Special No 1s but I have to admit, that on the first shave it is clearly my best shaving Dubl Duck. For the sake of avoiding religious-level debates, I won’t compare it to a Heljestrand, Dorko or Waterville but I am very pleased with its quality. I’ve read a few past postings on Dubl Ducks and I know they are consistently decent quality but not the pinnacle of fine steel. From the postings I should keep my eye open for a Wonder Edge.

Attachments

• Dubl Duck Lifetime.PNG
    Dubl Duck Lifetime.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 84
Love the look of that razor!

That's one that's missing from my collection and I hope to fill at some point. Waiting for the right Dubl Duck to find me. From what I understand, most were made for the American market, which may explain why they are not plentiful here in the UK.

I like DD’s .
They look alright with the wrong scales and missing gold wash. But really come into their own when properly restored. New gold and proper scales.

As far as using toothpaste? Well it’s an abrasive. The examples given were on stainless knives, not gold wash.
Since it is just a thin gold WASH and this you’re rubbing it with an abrasive ( though mild) you’re basically saying , gold, go away. In my opinion and experience with these, it’s bad advice. Helpful as it may seem.
Of the 5 with gold, 3 were replated. It’s not a DD without it. Part of its signature look.
Keep what you can or remove it if it’s that far gone.
IMG_3416.jpeg

Top Bottom