What's new

Surprising Gold Dollar

I think this is the first time I've ever really been surprised at getting a Gold Dollar razor. I ordered the W60, French point style, from Frendrihan (not guaranteed to be shave-ready) and it's the 4th I have from them and I have 5 others as well so I'm fairly familiar with their products by now. This one, however, was not at all what I was expecting. I was expecting to open it, test it and find it gliding over my arm hair with no resistance as all others I've had but this one actually treetopped several hairs right away and was clearly catching and popping several as I went. I stropped it on an unpasted balsa strip for 20 laps and it was able to pass a HHT-3 with a little bit of cajoling. After a few laps on a 0.5 micron pasted balsa storp it was able to get an HHT-5 without much issue.

The make quality is also better than I've noticed in most other GDs, the blade is thinner and the scales are well-tuned, not too tight and not lose. It was about 10x the price of my 33s, and it's not rivaling my Solinger or French blades, but I will definitely say it's something I would buy again.

Gold Dollar "quality" control can be a bit spotty at times and they can occasionally let a good one tthrough or maybe Frendrihan was bored one day.

I'll contact GD QA/QC and demand that they not let this affront to their product stand! 🤣

Top Bottom