What's new

Surprised by Pelikan M205

Kicking the year off, SWMBO picks up an M600, and puts a seal of approval on my growing collection. It's a wonderful pen and I'd recommend it to anyone, but I don't like taking it to the office or stuffing it in my pocket when I run out the door. It will get lost, stolen, or broken.

Enter the M205

I picked up a Taupe in fine almost two weeks ago and was a little surprised by how nice a steel nib can be. I was beginning to expect almost every steel nib to write similarly to TWSBI, Kaweko, Lamy, and Sheaffer (etc.); the nibs all have the same general feel. The M205 is different in a way that I can't really describe. I don't have the proper words. What I also don't have is the pen. It's been in my pocket a total of 2 days since it arrived on the doorstep, and in my wife's hands the rest of the time. A Toledo red version is on its way to me now; I just hope I can keep this one in my pocket.
:thumbup1:

Any recommendations for similar but vintage Pelikans? I'm having great trouble narrowing down my searches.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Glad you found such a good pen for you (and your wife :001_smile). Most similar in a vintage would be the 400.

You haven't collected all the 200 series yet, no need to move on yet. I have four 200 series pens and I love them all. I still need to order some ink for my newest one, but I can't imagine it writes any differently than the others.

I desperately want to buy a Pelikan, but I'd like to write with one beforehand. Next time I'm in Los Angeles I'll try and find a pen shop to test drive one of these bad boys. I don't know if I want a fine or medium nib.

Wow, vintage certainly does not mean less expensive. I'll keep looking for an "inexpensive" example of a 400, and now possibly a 140. :blush:

rickcharles606, A Pelikan fine is very close to a Lamy medium (but not quite) in my experience. It might be be the fact they really lay down the ink, or perhaps I'm delusional. The general line thickness of my binderized M600 fine nib and the fine M205 is very close. Consistency makes me happy.

Wow, vintage certainly does not mean less expensive. I'll keep looking for an "inexpensive" example of a 400, and now possibly a 140. :blush:

rickcharles606, A Pelikan fine is very close to a Lamy medium (but not quite) in my experience. It might be be the fact they really lay down the ink, or perhaps I'm delusional. The general line thickness of my binderized M600 fine nib and the fine M205 is very close. Consistency makes me happy.
Vintage pelikans in the 140, 400, and similar models are tough to find a good deal on without the nib in need of love, you have to be very patient in watching a lot of auctions to find just the right one to sneak through

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Vintage pelikans in the 140, 400, and similar models are tough to find a good deal on

Expect to pay at least $100+ for a basic green striped 400, a little less for a 140 and more tortoise and/or exotic nibs.

Basically, it's a nicer pen than an M200 in build and nib quality.

Oh man, I went a little crazy tonight on the Bay and have dozens of bids in on Pelikan pens and a few others. Hope I don't win ALL of them, and I know I won't because I didn't bid high on too many. Just a few of the pens that I REALLY want got a max bid that I think will win it...we'll see. I may end up with more than I'd hoped, lol.

I recently acquired a green striped 140 from Rick at the Penguin - it cost me $125, which I thought was a fair price for a completely refurbished pen from a vendor with a stellar reputation. I just noticed that the prices have gone up to $140. Still a fair price given that dealing with Rick means you're not going to get a lemon.

Pelikan makes a very good pen and has some of the best nibs out there.

With the way my collection is going there are a few pens I haven't even inked yet. Do you guys ever feel like your neglecting or forgetting something?

I have a feeling a 140 is going to be my next pen. Especially since the SWMBO and I decided we should each get a weekly allowance for spending any way we want! :yesnod:

It's not much, but after a few weeks, I should be ready!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have a feeling a 140 is going to be my next pen. Especially since the SWMBO and I decided we should each get a weekly allowance for spending any way we want! :yesnod:

It's not much, but after a few weeks, I should be ready!
I have pretty much been neglecting all my pens since getting my M200. I may offload them and buy a 140 and, in the future, an M600.

With the way my collection is going there are a few pens I haven't even inked yet. Do you guys ever feel like your neglecting or forgetting something?

I have over 10 pens inked at this moment. :blush:

I have a rotation going. Usually when a new one comes in it I'm finishing up an already inked pen. I'll also retire a pen from the rotation once I get bored with it, and replace it with a pen that I haven't used in a while.

I usually keep 6 pens inked at any given time. SWMBO takes three of her favorites first then I get what's left.

Top Bottom