What's new

Sure fire way to get rid of squirrels

Our house is behind a school in the suburbs. We have a chain link fence that looks out on a large field with lots of squirrels. Also a soccer field and baseball diamonds. I can’t be wandering around with a rifle. Pellet or not, I would have a swat team called on me. I have a pellet pistol that’s effective at dispatch but I have to be concerned with drawing attention.

Got another squirrel today in the trap. That makes 10 this week. That trap is worth every penny!

I have had many rabbits and squirrels dart out in front of my bike. All had missed going under my wheels until last Friday evening. I told the squirrel three times to not run out from the flower patch around the neighbor's mailbox post ("Don't do it don't do it DON'T DO IT!"), but he made a dash for the other side of the street anyway. At twenty miles an hour, I wasn't grabbing the brakes, and I hit him perpendicular to his spine. In the time it took me to wonder what going over the bars onto asphalt feels like, it was over. Imagine the sound of a dry branch snapping under the weight of your boot. I saw him roll a couple times as I continued up the road, but he was not there 50 minutes later, so I am not certain of the outcome.

My sister attempted to avoid a squirrel while driving her SUV and hit a guardrail, sending her two Labs from the back of the SUV over the back seat. This is a mechanism for tearing a large dog's bladder. Both required costly surgery. She was not unhappy to hear of my cycling incident.

9331C3DB-E291-4802-8E11-F55345D127F7.jpeg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I have had many rabbits and squirrels dart out in front of my bike. All had missed going under my wheels until last Friday evening. I told the squirrel three times to not run out from the flower patch around the neighbor's mailbox post ("Don't do it don't do it DON'T DO IT!"), but he made a dash for the other side of the street anyway. At twenty miles an hour, I wasn't grabbing the brakes, and I hit him perpendicular to his spine. In the time it took me to wonder what going over the bars onto asphalt feels like, it was over. Imagine the sound of a dry branch snapping under the weight of your boot. I saw him roll a couple times as I continued up the road, but he was not there 50 minutes later, so I am not certain of the outcome.

My sister attempted to avoid a squirrel while driving her SUV and hit a guardrail, sending her two Labs from the back of the SUV over the back seat. This is a mechanism for tearing a large dog's bladder. Both required costly surgery. She was not unhappy to hear of my cycling incident.

I was in the wife's car when one such House Eater darted out … THUMP!

Her: "Oh, the poor thing!"

Me: (fist pumps) "YES!"

AA

The squirrel trap I posted about is still working great. From July 10 to September 8 I’ve trapped 39 squirrels!

I will have to tell my BIL about this trap. He has been using a havahart trap dispatching them one at a time.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Something has been stealing eggs in the chicken coop.

Set up a borrowed trail cam. A big ole coon showed up. We of course fixed any obvious holes in the runs.

Next morning musta caught his little brother; the thing didn't weigh 4 lbs.

Next morning I caught about a 3 lb possum.

Dispatching the little ones is never the highlight of my day, lol, even though in my head I know they grow up and get even more smart at avoiding my traps.

Well, on the third night the big ole coon showed up. He must've been off his game, cuz I got him. Musta been 20 lbs.

Should have roasted him. Tastes like bear.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I used to hunt squirrels and rabbits as a kid. Good eating. When I lived in a city, squirrels were plentiful and I though about nabbing a few with the pellet rifle. Then one day I saw one drag a dirty diaper out of someone's garbage. That soured me on eating city squirrel.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Something has been stealing eggs in the chicken coop.

Set up a borrowed trail cam. A big ole coon showed up. We of course fixed any obvious holes in the runs.
When I was a kid, we raised ducks for food. My parents thought we were going through an awful lot of corn to feed the number of ducks we had. So one day they fed them and then left the building the ducks were in and stood quietly outside peering in the window. Rats poured forth from the floor and literally pushed the ducks out of the way eating the corn.

The rats were then fed something else and the ducks got the corn.

Get rabbit traps that should do ya if it will kill a rabbit then them little things are nothing or if you wanna do what some people I know did sharpen the jaws you won’t have to deal with the wounded

Top Bottom