What's new

Supposing I wanted to get into SEs... what'd be a good one to start with?

I won a Gem Junior in an eBay lot recently and it kinda piqued my curiosity about SEs. I know a lot of you swear they provide the best shave one can get outside of a straight razor. Now, I don't think I'm going to be converted. I love DEs and I've put too much time and money into building my collection, but I would like to at least see what all the hype is about.

Thanks in advance!

The Gem Junior is one of the variations on the Gem 1912, and an excellent choice to start with. :thumbup1::tongue_sm

Resistance to becoming a Gemocrat is futile!!

I picked up a Gem in a lot from the 'bay.
I had no intention of using it. I heard too many people say it's like shaving with a snow shovel.
But I've been tempted to give it a try.
I have some original Gem blades, I wonder if I could use them?

I prefer the gold and black Gem Push Button from the 1950s myself. Lightweight and nimble, it makes for a nice and quick SE shave. And it looks good too.

Legion

Staff member
I like the look and feel of the 1912. I have a few different Gems and, truth be told, they all work as well as each other. I stick with the 1912 mainly because of aesthetics. I would really like a lather catcher, though.

I prefer the gold and black Gem Push Button from the 1950s myself. Lightweight and nimble, it makes for a nice and quick SE shave. And it looks good too.

I really do not like the later, plastic-handled GEMs (Featherweight, push-button) nearly as much as the earlier ones. The head is different, the weight is different, they're like toys and not particularly good ones.

I've found the 1912s to be great shavers -- and I don't care what anyone else says, the rounded head on the Damaskeenes shaves slightly better and gentler than the angled head design on the regular 1912 GEM and GEM Jr. But the difference is slight, I admit.

I think it's also generally agreed that the Micromatic Open Comb gives the closest, most aggressive shave -- which can be good, and bad.

I've never used one of the Lathercatchers, because they get snapped up before I can find one at a decent price. From all appearances, the lathercatchers seem like small straight razors on a stick. The 1912 is a different beast, a genuine safety razor.

Top Bottom