What's new

Supply V2 with SE plate

I thought I would start a new thread for this so it will be easier for the current Supply 2.0 owners to find. As far as I know, the SE is the first injector razor to have a comb on the guard. Some of the Schick Magazine Repeaters had combed guards, but they were not injectors. Supply now sell the new SE closed comb base plate separately. My v2.0 is the original stainless steel model with a matte black PVD coating, so I purchased the black SE baseplate. The plate fits my razor perfectly and seats snugly. My razor is quite a bit heavier than the newer models, so I expect that affects the shave. I have a lot of razors and I use a different one nearly everyday, so it is difficult for me to make comparisons. My razor already had a Schick blade installed with only five shaves, so I decided to keep that blade in the razor.

Tabac lathers into a thick, rich cream and fills the room with that distinctive scent. The Simpson Commodore X2 pairs nicely with this soap. The razor gave no blade feel, but it did cut down the stubble on my face and neck. I shave daily, so it was just 24 hours of growth. After my usual three passes, and with just a little extra attention to trouble spots, I ended with a DFS. This razor is comparable to the Schick L1 in performance. I think it will be great for head shaves and plan to give it a try at that. If you have a Suppy V2 and found it overly aggressive or that it bites, you should try this plate.

Razor: Supply V2.0 Stainless + SE plate, matte black
Blade: Schick Injector
Brush: Simpson Commodore X2 Best Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Mauer & Wirtz Tabac
Aftershave: Maurer & Wirtz Tabac Aftershave Lotion
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Rose Petal
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
20220323_080606.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have two shaves in with the SE plate on my Supply 2.0:

Razor: Supply 2.0 with SE Plate
Blade: Supply Black Label (1)
Brush: Graydog Chess (TNS 26mm Silver Synth)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Fragrance: Cuba Orange EdT Spray
20220319_173919~2.jpg

20220319_174024~2.jpg

Razor: Supply 2.0 with SE Plate
Blade: Supply Black Label (2)
Brush: Graydog Chess (TNS 26mm Silver Synth)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Fragrance: Cuba Orange EdT Spray

Used the same kit for both shaves. :)

Shave notes: After a bit of experimentation, the best results are achieved with the cap, blade and plate pretty much flat against the face. Judicious and appropriate pressure, tilted ever so slightly toward the plate, helps the efficiency a little while the SE plate prevents issues with nicks and irritation. Even when using a bit of pressure, the Supply 2.0 with the SE plate remains a very mild, very smooth razor. The overall effectiveness is definitely on the mild end of the scale. Took four passes plus additional touchups, but I was able to get a DFS. On my face/skin/beard, the Supply 2.0 plus the SE plate performs as a nice, worry free razor that is capable of very comfortable results! :thumbup:

Thanks for this!

I started out with a Supply V2 and am experimenting with a Henson AL13 (medium) right now. I find it to be much smoother and with less blade feel than even the mildest plate on the Supply.

Does anyone know how the SE plate would compare? I might be interested in trying it out.

Thanks for this!

I started out with a Supply V2 and am experimenting with a Henson AL13 (medium) right now. I find it to be much smoother and with less blade feel than even the mildest plate on the Supply.

Does anyone know how the SE plate would compare? I might be interested in trying it out.
If you are using a medium Henson, the SE plate is going to be much milder. Less blade feel, less efficient. If you have the angle right, it will perform very similar to the Henson mild. I use it for one pass against the grain, the only razor other than the Henson mild that I can do that. If you want something closer to the Henson medium, you are going to need the Supply Pro and set it between 4 and 5. It is less efficient than the Henson medium still, probably due to the very low blade angle to face.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for this!

***Disclaimer***
Please note that I am pretty 'meh' where the Henson is concerned. With that out of the way.....

I find the Supply SE plate to be highly mild and smooth, but still (with judicious pressure and appropriate technique) more effective than the Henson Al13 Medium.

As @APBinNCA states in the previous post, if you want a more efficient Supply Razor, you'll need the Supply Pro. :)

Funny, I used efficient this time instead of effective because I find the Henson medium to be more effective due to having some positive blade exposure. Interestingly, they both require a rigid wrist swipe technique that is different to other DE razors. 🤪

YMMV strikes again! 😆

Thanks for the feedback (the Henson could use a bit more for my liking) - it helps.

It sounds like my Supply 2.0 is a step up (in terms of agressivenes/efficiency) from my Henson. I was thinking that the SE plate might be in between - guess not.

I'm really liking the Henson but... wondering if something slightly more efficient, just as smooth, and a teensy bit more feedback exists. Maybe I'll be on the hunt for a DE like that in the future.

Again, thank you!

You will probably want to check out the new Karve Overlander, a few of us are holding out for the stainless. The Yates H plate would be the next step up from the Henson medium, but you will have to page @ewk for more. You could also consider the Razorock BBS A plate. I ended up jumping up to the Timeless Ti95 from the medium Henson and it is not in any way similar, but can be as smooth once you learn how to use it.

Thanks for the shoutout @APBinNCA. The Yates 921 M and H plates provide for me a nice level of efficiency with a nice level of comfort. The Yates 921 put the brakes on my acquisition frenzy. Unfortunately for this thread, I cannot compare it to the Supply razors.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the feedback (the Henson could use a bit more for my liking) - it helps.

It sounds like my Supply 2.0 is a step up (in terms of agressivenes/efficiency) from my Henson. I was thinking that the SE plate might be in between - guess not.

I'm really liking the Henson but... wondering if something slightly more efficient, just as smooth, and a teensy bit more feedback exists. Maybe I'll be on the hunt for a DE like that in the future.

Again, thank you!
My taste in currently manufactured DE razors goes to the Blackland Blackbirds (especially the Ti), ATT Windsor (mild & efficient plates) & Windsor Pro, Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB, Karve SB-G, Rex Envoy, Charcoal Goods Gen 3 Level 3, Blackland ERA Level 4 SB & Level 5 SB, Timeless Slim SB, etc.....

Some of these razors are a lot more expensive than the Supply or the Henson. Only you can determine if the performance justifies the price.

I want to try the new Supply Pro adjustable. Be interesting to dial up some additional efficiency. :)

Thanks for the recommendations; eventually I'll get into a razor that is a real work not art. I'm hoping that once I know what I'm really looking for I'll be able justify something special.

-cheers

Top Bottom