What's new

Supply V2 first shave.

Like many or most on B&B I shave as a necessity (no long beard or mustache) and since dumping the expensive 18 pack triple blade Gillette’s 5 years ago I am in constant search of the perfect soap, brush, blade, and razor and even though some products fail I still enjoy the hunt and look forward to trying new products. Maybe I have already found the perfect soap, brush, blade, and razor but cannot admit it at least to my wife or I would need to stop reading B&B and stop searching. I think that it is half the fun.

When I started 5 years ago my first tool was a Merkur 34C. It worked well as I experimented with creams vs. soaps and various blades as touted from your B&B posts. Finally, after a couple of years, I wanted a new razor. ATT and Stan got great press on B&B, so I jumped in with the Windsor R1 and M1. Wow what a great build, this was a beauty. However, I have never been thrilled that the expense of my ATT vs. my old 34c was worth the investment. Maybe the shave was a little better with my ATT or I loved the look and feel so much that I gave it more credit for a better shave than actual. My next brilliant idea was to try SE. I liked the idea of a narrow head to increase maneuverability and never understood why 2 edges vs one were needed.

Today I had my first shave with the Supply V2 with the Shick blade and MWF soap. This was a huge disappointment vs my ATT or 34C. I used both the 2 dot and the 3 dot each on a different side of my face. If I keep the razor the 3 dot would be the only useful head as the 2 dot for me just did not get close with or against the grain regardless of the number of passes.

Some reviews indicate that you cannot feel the blade, but you can defiantly hear it (I can also feel it regardless of angle).

This is a great looking well-built razor, kind of classy and sleek. Very easy to maneuver, very easy to grip and change shave angles. It is a heavy razor but so is ATT.

Finally, since I had already made several passes with Supply, I loaded up my ATT with my trusty nic free cut free Gillette Silver Blue and finished the job (now that is a nice shave).

A couple of weeks ago I had an email discussion with Stan, and he suggested I try the H1 head. I am going to take Stans advice. I still like the idea of an SE with a narrow head, but it must compete with my ATT.

If you are an off the rack Mach3 user, then Supply is an upgrade and cheaper in the long run. But if you love your DE and the ability to have dozens of blade choices and maybe you have DE with different head choices then you will not switch.

Interesting results. I guess it goes to show that there is no universal “the one” razor for everyone.

I received my Supply v2 Warehouse Deal razor at the end of last week and have been shaving with it daily since Monday, with the included Supply blades. I have never before used an injector, but have dabbled in a good bit of everything else traditional shave related, getting good BBS results with all of it.

My shaves have steadily improved with the Supply (using the 2 dot the whole time). My WTG and XTG passes are buttery smooth, easily knocking me down to DFS.

My final pass though, ATG/XTG hybrid which gets me my BBS with all other razor types, I was having trouble with. I’d get BBS but not with out a lot of nicks and irritation. The Supply blades are sharp but certainly not smooth, though they improve with use.

I found, just this morning in fact, that if I kept the razor angled as shallow as possible, cutting face and razor pretty much against my skin, my final pass smoothed out much more and I got a much more comfortable shave. I don’t have any vintage Schick to compare it to sadly, but it’s at least on par with the other razors I have.

If you load the Supply like a vintage injector, with a key, you may have dulled the blade loading it. If the blade edge drags against the blade stops while loading, it will dull instantly! I don't have a Supply razor, so I don't know how it's loaded.

Try a fresh blade and make sure the blade edge doesn't drag against the blade stops while loading...

If you load the Supply like a vintage injector, with a key, you may have dulled the blade loading it. If the blade edge drags against the blade stops while loading, it will dull instantly! I don't have a Supply razor, so I don't know how it's loaded.

Try a fresh blade and make sure the blade edge doesn't drag against the blade stops while loading...

Rabidus thanks for the input. This morning I looked at Supply troubleshooting tips and sure enough, they identify the blade alignment issues. After a closer look this morning, the alignment will be an issue often either because of the injector lack of close tolerances or the razor design (without any pins to hold the blade in place it almost floats in its seat). Most well made DE razors and especially the ATT when you drop the blade in you are locked in and the blade alignment is always perfect. I do know about anyone else but I do not want to get up in the morning and monkey around with blade and injector alignment.

My Supply experience has been very different. I've never used an ATT, so I can't make a comparison there, but for me the Supply provides closer and more comfortable shaves than any of the DE razors I've used in roughly 50 years of DE shaving. More recently I've found some other single edge razors that provide real competition, namely an MMOC and a RazoRock Black Hawk. I've been using my Supply and those two for my daily shave, with a very occasional use of my RazoRock Game Changer .86.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I'm still deciding on my Supply V2. I want to like it but so far both my Schick injectors shave better (better meaning won't bite me if I tease them) I always end up with a cut or weeper from the Supply and I've gone down to the one dot plate. I didn't have any issues with closeness.

Try this. Put in a new blade paying CAREFUL attention to the whole time it slides in that the cutting edge does not contact the pins on either side. I didn't the first time I loaded mine and it would not shave at all.

IMO SE offers me a better, easier shave than DE and I like the razor designs more. Rigid blades are our friends:)

I have a Supply V2 in the matte stainless finish. In is in my razor rotation, the rest are all DEs.
It helps to loosen the baseplate screw maybe half a turn before loading a new blade. Remember to
retighten it.

I have a Supply V2 in the matte stainless finish. In is in my razor rotation, the rest are all DEs.
It helps to loosen the baseplate screw maybe half a turn before loading a new blade. Remember to
retighten it.
It took me a while to figure out that loosening and re-tightening that screw greatly simplifies blade loading. I was having a problem where the blade didn't fully load. After removing the key, I would have to push the blade in a bit further using the end of the key, the blade of my pocketknife or whatever was at hand. I contacted Suppy and they suggested loosening the screw until I found the perfect tension that allowed the blade to load easily but which still held it firmly in place. I never did find that spot, but ultimately I discovered what you suggested - loosen before loading, tighten after loading.

I’ve just been hand loading mine when needed, that blade fits in pretty tightly, feels like the edge might rub on the posts otherwise.

Top Bottom