What's new

Supply SE trouble

Good luck, @CrazyChemist. The razor in your picture looks off enough that I would take the two pieces apart, look at the screw/spring, and just make sure everything is seated as it should be. Nobody likes irritation.

Good luck, @CrazyChemist. The razor in your picture looks off enough that I would take the two pieces apart, look at the screw/spring, and just make sure everything is seated as it should be. Nobody likes irritation.
Problem is, when I do, I wouldn’t know what is “right” or “wrong”.

As far as irritation goes: today I shaved with a new blade and handled the razor like a feather.

Face is fine
Mustache area is not smooth (enough)
Neck still burns - although it burns a little less - so I do think the first blade was crap.
However, shaving difficult areas like the neck (with coarse hair growing in a million directions) is extremely difficult with the supply SE, compared to my OneBlade.

What would I look for when I take it apart?

At this point, I am just willing to give it a new home in my trash can. It’s not worth going through the motions with supply. They will claim user error, I will claim ****ty product and that’s a draw then. And if it were user error, a new razor wouldn’t fix it.

Problem is, when I do, I wouldn’t know what is “right” or “wrong”.

As far as irritation goes: today I shaved with a new blade and handled the razor like a feather.

Face is fine
Mustache area is not smooth (enough)
Neck still burns - although it burns a little less - so I do think the first blade was crap.
However, shaving difficult areas like the neck (with coarse hair growing in a million directions) is extremely difficult with the supply SE, compared to my OneBlade.

What would I look for when I take it apart?

At this point, I am just willing to give it a new home in my trash can. It’s not worth going through the motions with supply. They will claim user error, I will claim ****ty product and that’s a draw then. And if it were user error, a new razor wouldn’t fix it.
Sorry you are having such issues with the Supply SE. It's a mild razor, almost nick proof but not for everyone. It could be the fins hinder getting your multi direction beard on you neck. If you have not had the razor for more than 100 days Supply will let you return it. Contact them for the details. I hate to see you just pitch a razor.

I did send them an email. I have no problem ditching the razor, as I benefited from a pricing error on their website 😇. However, I was on the fence about this razor and I want it to work. It just doesn’t (yet).

It sounds like you made a huge improvement with this shave @CrazyChemist, yay!

As for what to look for if you take the two parts apart, I was just thinking that all the parts a seated together tightly and the screw is threaded in well and is all the way in. Here is a pic from the Supply site showing the parts fitting together with a blade inserted. Here is one being loaded, which looks much more level than what your razor is doing. Did you send them that picture?

I too got a OneBlade and a Supply early in my wet shaving transition. The way you shave with them is very different from each other (and both are different than a double-edge), as I am sure you are seeing. @OhioBob's advice about watching their videos is good. You probably already know this, but just in case, start with the metal cap flat against your face. Rotate it down just a few degrees at a time until the blade starts cutting. Injectors cut at a very shallow angle, with the handle of the razor quite high. If the cap is just sliding along and not cutting, rotate down a few degrees more. If you start to see lather tracks of the fins left after the pass, you've rotated quite a bit too far.

Don't press at all. This is a huge difference vs the OneBlade or a cartridge razor. Pressing will cause irritation for many. Perhaps that is contributing in your case. The OneBlade requires you to press like a cartridge, the Supply (or a DE razor) will give you irritation if you press that hard.

Supply has a return policy that you can use if you like, you've got 100 days. But it sounds like you're making big improvements. Give it a shot, you've got this!

Last edited:
Have you gone to their website and viewed the videos about how to shave with their razors. They are informative!
So you’re saying if I get razor burn with the Supply SE, I must be uneducated about the razor?
Yes, I have watched the videos, yes, I am experimenting with the angle and yes, I am keeping the contact to the skin very light.

YMMV, but for me this has so far been the worst razor I have used. And this includes a disposable cartridge from the hotel lobby.

I had a bad experience with their razor as well. After seeing my review get deleted off of their website, I moved on.

So you’re saying if I get razor burn with the Supply SE, I must be uneducated about the razor?
Yes, I have watched the videos, yes, I am experimenting with the angle and yes, I am keeping the contact to the skin very light.

YMMV, but for me this has so far been the worst razor I have used. And this includes a disposable cartridge from the hotel lobby.
No, not saying you are uneducated about the razor! Just trying to search for a solution for you. The Supply/injectors shave differently from the OneBlade and many would jump in and try using pressure like the OneBlade, fortunately you did your research, many would not have done that. Many hate the OneBlade, but you love it. I have had a Genesis, Hybrid & Core and did not like the Genesis, but do like the Hybrid and Core. The Genesis found a new home, but I kept the others. Not every razor works for every person and the Supply may be one that falls into that category for you.

I have been fortunate in my "Wet Shaving" journey in that I have been able to use multiple types of razors and have good results. Many aren't that lucky. The only exception for me is any aggressive razor and I know that now and don't even attempt to try one anymore. Sometimes I get fooled and do try one, but after one shave I know it's not right for me.

I have found DE, GEM's, the OneBlade, Artist Club and injector razors I like. For some that never happens. I commend you for trying different solutions and reaching out to the group for assistance. It may just not be the razor for you. When you feel you have given it your all, then it's time to move on. I tried both the Supply SE and the Pro, I got along fine with the SE, but the Pro and I just didn't love each other. I sold the SE, regret that now and a friend is trying the Pro and he loves it, hoping he will buy it from me.

I was p*seed at the experience yesterday. Collected myself and wrote an email to Supply. They suspect a bad blade pack (this should never happen from a QC standpoint, should it??) and I also supplied my picture of how it looks when loading the blade. I will try to go even lighter on the shave tomorrow, but then I will let it rest until I have the new blade pack or additional feedback from Supply.

I was also eying the Leaf Twig/Thorn things, so maybe if this doesn’t work I give that a try ?!?

No, not saying you are uneducated about the razor! Just trying to search for a solution for you. The Supply/injectors shave differently from the OneBlade and many would jump in and try using pressure like the OneBlade, fortunately you did your research, many would not have done that. Many hate the OneBlade, but you love it. I have had a Genesis, Hybrid & Core and did not like the Genesis, but do like the Hybrid and Core. The Genesis found a new home, but I kept the others. Not every razor works for every person and the Supply may be one that falls into that category for you.

I have been fortunate in my "Wet Shaving" journey in that I have been able to use multiple types of razors and have good results. Many aren't that lucky. The only exception for me is any aggressive razor and I know that now and don't even attempt to try one anymore. Sometimes I get fooled and do try one, but after one shave I know it's not right for me.

I have found DE, GEM's, the OneBlade, Artist Club and injector razors I like. For some that never happens. I commend you for trying different solutions and reaching out to the group for assistance. It may just not be the razor for you. When you feel you have given it your all, then it's time to move on. I tried both the Supply SE and the Pro, I got along fine with the SE, but the Pro and I just didn't love each other. I sold the SE, regret that now and a friend is trying the Pro and he loves it, hoping he will buy it from me.
Sorry for lashing out. I was pissed at the experience yesterday. See post below.

Just FYI, see if you can pick up some yellow packaged Schick’s. I have used the Supply Black blades & the Schick’s to me are sharper & last longer IMO.

Just FYI, see if you can pick up some yellow packaged Schick’s. I have used the Supply Black blades & the Schick’s to me are sharper & last longer IMO.
Will see what I can find. At the moment I would settle for less sharp, if that meant no irritation 😏

The Supply Black’s tout that they are sharper than Schick’s. However, they don’t last as long. Sharp is normally better for less irritation.

Newbie to this forum and relatively new to „non-cartridge“ shaving.

Have a OneBlade Hybrid as my go-to (love it, hate the cost and life time of the blades) and tried the Supply SE as an alternative with cheaper blades.
Problems I am seeking advice on:

A) shave is not very close, even after a third pass (WTG, XTG, ATG) especially on the neck.
B) my neck is ON FIRE 🔥 even though I did not Nick myself (love the blade guard on the SE)

Use the top as my guide for the angle.

Best guess from my side is I may have damaged the blade as this was my first shot (almost literally 😃) at an injector.
If I sacrifice the first blade an inject another one - what is the collective advice from the Gurus here?

Thanks,
Derek
I've had two of them. The first one was replaced because the blade would slide from side to side if I even touched it lightly with a finger nail. It didn't inspire confidence.
The company replaced it. Second was the same, so I gave up on them.
It's a shame because my earlier razor from them from a few years ago was and is still great.

Shave #4:
Neck still burning, but less than it used to be. I graduated from "disposable razor burn without proper shave cream" to "2 week old MACH3 with too many passes" burn. That's still way worse than my OneBlade, but at least an improvement. In addition, the neck now has badly shaved patches, as I do not dare to do additional clean-ups.
I will now get rid of the Supply Shave Cream and will go with the OneBlade Cream which delivered superior results for me. Maybe it's a combination of all these things (Nobody will notice that I am an analytical scientist, correct ?)

Last edited:
Feels like I am talking into my own void here - but here it goes:
#5 - this time with OneBlade shave cream and a badger brush.

While there is still some irritation on the neck, the shave is the smoothest I have been able to get out of the Supply SE and it is the least irritated I have been with it. So I will give it a few more tries, homing in on the best technique. It seems the supply shave cream is nowhere near the OneBlade stuff in terms of quality (or I am slowly but surely getting the hang of the supply SE - or both 🤪)

Thanks for all your help here - I will keep shouting into the void here to keep you updated.

Top Bottom