What's new

supplements

Has any one ever bought supplements on ebay....im finding some great deals but really weirded out about buying expired stock........

gage0921 said:
Has any one ever bought supplements on ebay....im finding some great deals but really weirded out about buying expired stock........

The most important thing I was ever taught about supplements/vitamins, is to drop them in a glass of water, and let them sit for 24 hours. At the end of 24 hours, if they are still in solid form, they are worthless. They will just pass through your system.

Randy

gage0921 said:

I've never bought supplements on ebay. What are you looking to get? Protein powder, Vitamins, etc.

rtaylor61 said:
The most important thing I was ever taught about supplements/vitamins, is to drop them in a glass of water, and let them sit for 24 hours. At the end of 24 hours, if they are still in solid form, they are worthless. They will just pass through your system.

Randy

You're describing my wife's cooking !!!! :w00t:

mark tssb

I grabbed some creatine a few years back. I dont remember where it came from but it was a lot cheaper that most of the brand names. Worked well for me.

Well--at the risk of starting a firestorm--why? I believe the stuff to be overpriced and not without downsides.

I believe in exercise 5 to 6 times a week. Hydration, 8-9 servings whole grains, 4-5 fruit, 2 dairy, 2-3 protein with some right after a serious liftweighting workout (I love to say it that way--inside story), 1-2 healthy fats, and all the veggies that I want. If I pay attention to that and try to avoid a concoction that makes promises that it can't keep. Or worse, creratine clearly increases ability to do liftweighting but can lead to dehydration, and maybe allows muscles to get stronger than other supporting framework is ready for yet--so injury becomes a theoretical concern.

As you can see, I am not much a fan of the supplements. We sell some at the gym where I am a part owner only because of demand--I don't even pay attnetion to it. Aside from water and gatorade I do not partake at the gym.

MJB

Check out www.supplementwholesaler.com
This is a site that a buddy and I have used for the past few years and you can get name brand stuff (ie EAS, etc) for quite cheap.
I looked through the website and found BSN and Axis (easier to search by manufacturer this way) so they at least carry it.
As for ebay, I'd be hesitant but I am sure someone out there is doing legitimate business.

If you are weightlifting and trying to put on some mass then there's nothing like the old classic 40/30/30 split protein/fat/carbs, that's good fats and carbs and not saturaded, trans fats and sugar. If you are trying to loose weight it's quiet different.

I wouldn't rely on veg and fruit to provide sufficient nutriton. The soils are depleted from commercial farming and they cannot provide the required nutrition. You'll at least need to supplement with vitamins and minerals.

TheChefs said:
If you are weightlifting and trying to put on some mass then there's nothing like the old classic 40/30/30 split protein/fat/carbs, that's good fats and carbs and not saturaded, trans fats and sugar. If you are trying to loose weight it's quiet different.

I wouldn't rely on veg and fruit to provide sufficient nutriton. The soils are depleted from commercial farming and they cannot provide the required nutrition. You'll at least need to supplement with vitamins and minerals.

Out of curiosity, with the well balanced diet I described, what particular micronutrient deficiency is likely to develop?

MJB

MJB

Just to clear the air, I havent used what I would call a supplement in a long time. Just a multi vit., fish oil, and meal replacement powder when I dont have time for breakfast. I agree that most of the over priced stuff is snake oil. I was just going to try to help gage out but I still cant remember exactly where I used to get my stuff. I do agree about the dehydration. If you are going to use creatine, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. I had no problems but I always had a water bottle close.

Chris

MJB said:
Out of curiosity, with the well balanced diet I described, what particular micronutrient deficiency is likely to develop?

MJB

I can think of couple for me, zinc and vitamin C for one. If I don't have this two I get sick in winters, I also get white spots on my finger nails if I don't have enough zinc (coincides with me being sick too). Myself I take about 80mg of Zinc day, 2g of vitamin C, fish oil, vitamin E, Glucosamine and multivitamin. Zinc is essential for guys when training hard, but more then 250mg can be bad for you.

I don't know what your training is like, but I weight around 200lbs (92kg) and I'm 6' (184cm) tall. I train using heavy squats, deadlifts, bench press and shoulder press. Every now and then I throw in olympic movements.

I think for most people who don't have active life style multivitamin should be essential.

Also your diet seems to be based on the food pyramid which recently has been accused of as a reason behind the obesity epidemic in USA. Check this link http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=851835 for more do a search for "food pyramid obesity" in google. Your diet should be customised to your training and your lifestyle. Your one seems like it's more tailored for a long distance/marathon runner. Lots of energy (carbs) and little protein.

Also since you don't say what kind of foods you eat it's hard to say what you lack, different foods have different nutrients. Dairy has lots of calcium, beef has protein and zinc, oranges/lemons have vitamin C etc... What kind of training do you do? What are your goals? My current goal is to get to 100kg (220lbs) over the next six months, so my diet is tailored accordingly.

Cutthroat said:
MJB

Just to clear the air, I havent used what I would call a supplement in a long time. Just a multi vit., fish oil, and meal replacement powder when I dont have time for breakfast. I agree that most of the over priced stuff is snake oil. I was just going to try to help gage out but I still cant remember exactly where I used to get my stuff. I do agree about the dehydration. If you are going to use creatine, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. I had no problems but I always had a water bottle close.

Chris

I wouldn't myself, there are lots of online stores with cheap supplements. But if the brand is known and the person has good rating and the price + shipping (that's where they usually get you on ebay) is good then it might be worth taking a risk. There are lots of online stores with good reputation and good prices. I got things from http://bodybuilding.com/, but that's only since they ship down under. There might be cheaper alternatives available to you.

Hi TheChefs--

Interesting reference. The reference is from Harvard (via npr) whose public health school came up with their own pyramid. There are a few fundamental differences between the USDA food pyramid and the Harvard Healthy Eating pyramid. First, the USDA did not specify whole grains as the base of the pyramid. Whole grains and plant oils are the base of the Harvard pyramid. Harvard specified that modifies white flours, sugars, and such should be treats as should red meat. Harvard also put in a strong support for nuts and legumes; problematic for me as I happen to have bona fide anaphylactic allergies to many legumes nuts and many tree nuts.

In essence I think the two are similar with refinement going to the Harvard pyramid. I would hardly call the Harvard pyrmaid a galactic shift but it eliminates some of the potential abuses of the USDA pyramid which frankly can lead to excess calorie intake. I would suggest that just by changing the base of the USDA pyramid from starches and complex carbs to whole grains the shift is mostly done.

The Harvard Pyramid recommends a multivitamin "for most".

As for me, honestly, hardly a bodybuilder. Tried to gain weight after college (6'0" and 128#)--met a trainer wholely overfed and overtrained me and the result was I felt so unwell I quit and could not step foot into a gym for almost 15 years. Now small part owner of an 11,000 sq foot fitness facility that I see 1-2 times a week. Also proud own of three bands, a exercise ball, a base, and an old NordicTrack at home (still a fabulous piece of machinery). I do a bigger gym workout 1 to 2 times a week (usually 1), and at home 4-5 times a week a 45 minute workout with my NordicTrack and my bands. Nothing that will get into bodybuilding range but certainly enough for well-being. Remarkable what can be done with exercise bands--easy to put in a suitcase too! Presently still 6'0" and 145 to 150# which is where I frankly like to be.

I suspect if I wen to the gym 3 times a week and ate a bit more I would go up to 160 or 165# and would have to really go bananas to get to 180 or so. I feel real good where I am. I am not fast nor very strong but once I do get going I can go at a pretty good clip for quite some time and probably stronger than I look--bottom line for me--I feel good and think I will maintain that.

What I really need to work on for better overall health for me is flexibility--I am not good with my stretching. Also my sleep hygiene sticks--need more.

MJB (aka Marc)

Sleep is very important, I try to get around 8 to 9 hours of sleep, but most of the time I endup getting 6 to 7. It's very important, because if you don't get enough you'll overtrain easly. Also having breaks out of gym are very important, I always have a week off every 5 to 6 weeks, just to let the body rest.

Also I only do weightlifting (not really bodybuilding) since I can't run because of past sport injuries. Also stretching is important to prevent injuries. Also since you are an active person, you need to eat bit differently then some one who stays in office and in front of tv all day. For me an easy way to tell is if I get sick, if I do get sick or just feel unwell it just means that my body needs something that it doesn't have, then I just go for blood test and also do my own research.

If you want to put on some size in a healthy way then I can recommend some books to you.

Top Bottom