What's new

Supplements Question

Finally got a good workout routine going again so had some questions regarding supplements.
In the past while working out I used creatine, protein, and some pre-workout powder with quite good results.

Overall goal is to lose weight, and gain muscle.

I have a protein shake (mixed proteins, so casein, whey, and whatever else they threw in there) morning, post workout, and evening.
This is mainly to supplement my protein intake as I don't eat a lot of meat so I don't get a great deal of protein in.

I am running out of creatine, and preworkout, both of which I enjoy taking as they do help me in the gym with getting going.
I know general consensus is to skip the supplements and eat right, but was hoping for some feedback anyways.

I was thinking of mixing my own with the following ingredients to take 30-45min prior to a workout (BCAA to also be added to post workout protein).

CreatineBCAABeta AlanineCitrulline malateCaffeineL-CarnitineGlycineL-Theanine
Dosage in g55360.2510.70.2

Any opinions and feedback on this would be appreciated :001_smile

$Big reds.jpg

Nothing beats this ... :tongue_sm Can't help you, but wish you good luck! :thumbup1:

I used to like Muscle Milk, but honestly I don't know that it really ever did much for me except drain the wallet (you can buy quite a few steaks for the price of a tub of protein powder).
I was peeking at another thread about pre-workout snacks, and some of the suggestions over there seem pretty practical, no reason you couldn't do post-workout. Peanut butter, apples, honey, hard-boiled eggs are cheap and pretty convenient.

Its hard to lose weight and gain muscle at the same time. Unless your diet is 100% optimal. You need to make sure you are getting enough protein if not you may lose quit a bit of muscle mass too. Id recommend a cutting phase then a clean bulking phase.

This is the program im currently doing: Its a 30 day cut program that is pretty great(but intense 6 days of lifting with HIIT cardio and steady state)http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/30-days-out-craig-capursos-extreme-cut-trainer.html

A tub of protein powder may seem expensive but if your getting 75 servings from a $50 tub(example being ON whey) that's pretty economical if you think about it.

I use a scoop of whey after a workout and other one though out the day(usually in the evening or before bed). Other good sources or protein that are cheap are eggs, cottage cheese, bulk greek yogurt, tuna or even cheaper is Tilapia. For carbs sweet potatoes, whole wheat pasta, brown rice. I buy a bulk pack of morning star (soy) sausage patties from costco. They each have 10 grams of protein and I have 2 with my eggs in the morning.

If your on a budget and getting into bulking up here is a good video to check out. Its a bodybuilder that buys a weeks worth of groceries but only has $50 bucks to work with(he does a $100 video too). Obviously you might want a little more variety of foods to eat. However he shows it can be done and meat/protein isn't too expensive for people on a budget.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its hard to lose weight and gain muscle at the same time. Unless your diet is 100% optimal. You need to make sure you are getting enough protein if not you may lose quit a bit of muscle mass too. Id recommend a cutting phase then a clean bulking phase.

This is the program im currently doing: Its a 30 day cut program that is pretty great(but intense 6 days of lifting with HIIT cardio and steady state)http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/30-days-out-craig-capursos-extreme-cut-trainer.html

A tub of protein powder may seem expensive but if your getting 75 servings from a $50 tub(example being ON whey) that's pretty economical if you think about it.

I use a scoop of whey after a workout and other one though out the day(usually in the evening or before bed). Other good sources or protein that are cheap are eggs, cottage cheese, bulk greek yogurt, tuna or even cheaper is Tilapia. For carbs sweet potatoes, whole wheat pasta, brown rice. I buy a bulk pack of morning star (soy) sausage patties from costco. They each have 10 grams of protein and I have 2 with my eggs in the morning.

If your on a budget and getting into bulking up here is a good video to check out. Its a bodybuilder that buys a weeks worth of groceries but only has $50 bucks to work with(he does a $100 video too). Obviously you might want a little more variety of foods to eat. However he shows it can be done and meat/protein isn't too expensive for people on a budget.

Cheers for your input mate. I know losing weight and maintaining muscle is hard, hence the protein to make sure I don't lose muscle.
Problem is I need to be "cutting" for a while as I have a decent amount I need to get rid of, so bulking would be something I can look into wayyyy in the future.
I try to minimise carbs, at the very least I try not to eat them in the evening.

Any opinions on the preworkout mix?

Last edited:
So are you saying that the supplements are too expensive and you want to make your own preworkout?

Id get some creatine, beta alanine. These are the essential suppliments. I would then add some powdered caffeine(optional), also gatorade powder or sweetened Koolaid mix...something to give it flavor. Use about 5 grams of the creatine and BA and mix everything together and there you go. Sometimes its just easier to buy the pre workout though. I like Muscle Pharm Assault.

Lots of videos on youtube for how to make your own preworkout.

So are you saying that the supplements are too expensive and you want to make your own preworkout?

Id get some creatine, beta alanine. These are the essential suppliments. I would then add some powdered caffeine(optional), also gatorade powder or sweetened Koolaid mix...something to give it flavor. Use about 5 grams of the creatine and BA and mix everything together and there you go. Sometimes its just easier to buy the pre workout though. I like Muscle Pharm Assault.

Lots of videos on youtube for how to make your own preworkout.

Not saying supplements are too expensive, however calculating out the amounts and buying in bulk comes out cheaper and with more effective amounts i.e. I don't have to take extra creatine, and BCAA's on top.

Cheers for that will have a look at Youtubes.

Overall goal is to lose weight, and gain muscle.

Any opinions and feedback on this would be appreciated :001_smile

Not sure what supplement shops you have around you but I've found that while the employees will definitely try to sell you a product, they're very knowledgeable in a wide variety of supplements. I'm talking about DSD or GNC.

For protein, I found a lean protein blend that I take within 30 minutes AFTER my workout mixed with water only. I recommend this for losing weight/gaining muscle because then the protein is being processed by your body to repair muscle tissue. Water also helps to cut calories compared to milk. Certain brands have caffeine added to their protein powders, I haven't used them but it seems pretty cool.

Can't say too much about creatine because I've never personally used it - hear it's great stuff though!

Pre-workouts are EVERYWHERE these days, be careful and read the ingredients and directions prior to buying and using.. C4 is great. I used to use N.O. Explode but the military banned its use because a few Marines have died not consuming it properly. I love using it, but I will never take more than the recommended amount.

I can't remember the brands right now and if I remember, I'll check them out after work today - no promises!

Good luck with your fitness goals and be very safe.

Pre-workouts are EVERYWHERE these days, be careful and read the ingredients and directions prior to buying and using.. C4 is great. I used to use N.O. Explode but the military banned its use because a few Marines have died not consuming it properly. I love using it, but I will never take more than the recommended amount.

Actually it was a pre-workout called Jack3d that was banned. Basically because of this chemical called DMAA ( a legal amphetamine kinda like Ephedra ...well dont know if its legal anymore after people died).

NO Xplode is safe as long as you arn't too sensitive to caffeine...1 scoop has 200mg, so dont over do it.

Actually it was a pre-workout called Jack3d that was banned. Basically because of this chemical called DMAA ( a legal amphetamine kinda like Ephedra ...well dont know if its legal anymore after people died).

NO Xplode is safe as long as you arn't too sensitive to caffeine...1 scoop has 200mg, so dont over do it.
I take Jack3d actually :lol:

Just took my concoction from hell. Waiting to see the effects, will report back later.
One note, it is sour as anything as I took it unflavoured, I will need to buy some Gatorade powder or something to offset that. It tastes like biting into >9000 lemons.

Just took my concoction from hell. Waiting to see the effects, will report back later.
One note, it is sour as anything as I took it unflavoured, I will need to buy some Gatorade powder or something to offset that. It tastes like biting into >9000 lemons.

Definitely recommend something tart already like a powdered lemonade drink mix. Something fruit flavored.
Citrulline malate tastes terrible...

Definitely recommend something tart already like a powdered lemonade drink mix. Something fruit flavored.
Citrulline malate tastes terrible...

Ended up getting some Orange Concentrate that is artificially sweetened. Gatorade Powder costs $14 per 1.3gallons over here which is too expensive.

I took out the BCAA's as I didn't feel they were worth the price, haven't been noticing any positive effects from them. So my final recipe was everything as in post one minus the BCAA.

This pre-workout is powerful, and awesome. Totally gets you ready for working out, seems to reduce muscle soreness, and lifting seems easier.

I took out the BCAA's as I didn't feel they were worth the price, haven't been noticing any positive effects from them. So my final recipe was everything as in post one minus the BCAA.

This pre-workout is powerful, and awesome. Totally gets you ready for working out, seems to reduce muscle soreness, and lifting seems easier.

Alot of times your protein powder has BCAA's in it. Mine has 5g per serving. I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey.

I don't know why but I've found preworkout drinks really tear up my gut. Kudos to you if you've found one you like and can tolerate without side effects. These days, I usually hit a half cup of coffee 30 mins prior...but even that can cause reflux.

Top Bottom