What's new

Supex 77 Interchangeable Paddle Strop

I recently purchased and received this french-made paddle strop from the Invisible Edge UK and I am really enjoying using it. The Strop comes with interchangeable beds of various leathers on wooden plates that attach to the main wooden strop body by powerful magnets. The stropping surface is about 12 inches by 3 and 1/4 to 3 and 1/2 inches giving it almost as much runway as a hanging strop when you consider doing normal length laps.

Coming from both a hanging strop and a loom strop, it has taken some getting used to the lack of feedback. For example on the return stroke of a lap, I don't hear the hissing zing that I would hear when I do the departing stroke of the lap and it is hard to tell if the edge is making full contact with the strop unless I go really slow.

The craftsmanship is high quality and there is a little bit of heft to it, but all-in-all I enjoy using it. I have 6 plates overall, five being used for pastes and the English Bridle I use plain for final stropping.

IMG-3380.jpg

IMG-3381.jpg

Last edited:
I literally have that open in a tab right now! I am trying to decide if it is worth the cost for pastes or get another hanging and jam something flat behind it.

That looks very convenient! I've bought a blue (3 micron) and red (0.5 micron ) diamond paste but haven't used them. I have two double sides looming strops, each has a side for use with pastes, the other side is leather.

Now comes the stupid question...
Is there any reason to use these pastes over my Coticule?
I'm new to this, if I'm not mistaken then coticule laps with just water should maintain an edge as well, correct?
Would it be best to just use my coticule for honing and refreshing or should I use pastes for refreshing the edge, or is this all just a matter of preference?

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Would it be best to just use my coticule for honing and refreshing or should I use pastes for refreshing the edge, or is this all just a matter of preference?

If you are happy with your coticule edges, you should stick with the coticule for refreshing. Using a pasted strop for refreshing will eventually loose its effectiveness due to the pasted strop slowly deteriorating the edge. Then you will need to take the blade back to the coticule to hone out the deterioration.

That looks very convenient! I've bought a blue (3 micron) and red (0.5 micron ) diamond paste but haven't used them. I have two double sides looming strops, each has a side for use with pastes, the other side is leather.

Now comes the stupid question...
Is there any reason to use these pastes over my Coticule?
I'm new to this, if I'm not mistaken then coticule laps with just water should maintain an edge as well, correct?
It's all just a matter of preference. The right coticule is all you really need to be honest, just touching up on the coti with water will keep your razors going indefinitely compared to paste. I just picked up the strop set and pastes for variety and experimentation.

I recently purchased and received this french-made paddle strop from the Invisible Edge UK and I am really enjoying using it. The Strop comes with interchangeable beds of various leathers on wooden plates that attach to the main wooden strop body by powerful magnets. The stropping surface is about 12 inches by 3 and 1/4 to 3 and 1/2 inches giving it almost as much runway as a hanging strop when you consider doing normal length laps.

Coming from both a hanging strop and a loom strop, it has taken some getting used to the lack of feedback. For example on the return stroke of a lap, I don't hear the hissing zing that I would hear when I do the departing stroke of the lap and it is hard to tell if the edge is making full contact with the strop unless I go really slow.

The craftsmanship is high quality and there is a little bit of heft to it, but all-in-all I enjoy using it. I have 6 plates overall, five being used for pastes and the English Bridle I use plain for final stropping.

View attachment 1428804
View attachment 1428805
Hello, I have this strop, I only got the 2 paddles the English bri and the napped leather one, I bought the 6 micron paddle and some 6 micron diamond paste yellow from invisibleedge, I see you have all the low microns like 0.1 which are just polish?

After I come from an 8k stone to a la lune, should I be using my 6 micron paddle for stropping along with the napped leather and English bri, or should I only be using the 6 micron say after I do a full hone on a 3 k then to the 6 micron paddle then to 8k then la lune , the a slight strop on the napped and English?
Nice razors btw.

Top Bottom